Why become a member? ×

So...why haven't you got a Trace Elliot then..

TheGreek

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1502563538' post='3352247']

I also can never understand how people can say a bass sound is 'of a time', Which is a phrase that gets bandied about whenever Trace is mentioned. My tone with the Trace was anything but 'dated' or 80s sounding. It was any sound I wanted to have! 12 band EQ! Can tone even be 'dated'?
[/quote]

I think it can, it's probably more prevalent with guitar tones though; think of 80s hair metal and shred tones - super compressed, loads of gain, really wet with loads of reverb and chorus. Whenever I hear that sound now I immediately think it's "of the period", but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Metallica's old scooped tone, nu-metals mid scoop with the resonance knob on their 5150s maxed out etc, tones that aren't often used and any more but strongly evoke a certain era of music where they were heavily used. I don't think bass tones are so linked to changing fashions but I do think they've changed over the years and certain sounds can be linked to genres and time periods as gear changed. Of course, there have always been exceptions and since the beginning, there have been countless players banging away on P basses with really fat, warm, low-attack tones.

With regard to Trace Elliot gear, I haven't followed the history of the company but I do remember my brother having an old head and a 4x10 cab, bright and seriously loud.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1502521890' post='3351934']
Stingray straight in, no preshape and bypassed the graphic. Sounded absolutely bloody lovely.
[/quote]
My only experience of Trace Elliot gear was just this from an old GP7 1x15 combo in the Barrowlands rehearsal rooms in Glasgow many years ago. I secretly liked it but played Peavey gear at the time. Incredibly loud and industrial strength clang. It was all to green for my liking but I wouldn't mind acquiring an old GP7 1x15 combo to mess around with. For nostalgic purposes of course :)

i kind of do own one, a gp11 ah250, with the blacklight tube across the front, it's currently residing at my church and the understanding is that when they finally get the PA upgraded enough to handle the bass then the head is mine, it was donated to the church many years ago and as i am the man who has kept it running (2 trips to an amp tech in about 10 years, only one of them actually needed) and i've paid all the service bills it is mine to claim as soon as the church no longer needs it.

If Trace elliot were to actually make the amp that many here seem to be asking for (one of the classic preamps like an smx or maybe the gp11) with a lighter power section, then i think i'd probably be in the queue for one.

Matt

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1502967026' post='3354697']
[i]There are none so blind as those who will not see..[/i]

Missing out on a bargain...
[/quote]

Maybe the blind man is me!? The good thing is that I should have my 2nd BF One10 in a few days so I'll be able to hear how the TE head as well as my 'new' Magellan sound thru the 'vintage-coloured' compact stack. Can't wait!

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1502996254' post='3354981'] The good thing is that I should have my 2nd BF One10 in a few days so I'll be able to hear how the TE head as well as my 'new' Magellan sound thru the 'vintage-coloured' compact stack. Can't wait!
[/quote]
Ooh, a Magellan! I like the look of them. Mr Genzler really knows how to put an amp together.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1503064029' post='3355455']
Yup, another +1 for the Magellan here. I'm as fickle as Picky McFickleface with amps, but I've had mine for a good while, and I have no GAS* on the amp front....

* Pfffft...I've said it now... :unsure: :)
[/quote]

And another confirmed Magellan fan boy here too :lol:[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]Having owned a Trace rig for several years and being pretty much underwhelmed by it in every way (see post #8) I have found that the Magellan to be a vast improvement in just about every way; lighter, louder, more versatile, quicker and easier to get the sound I want etc. [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]With the obligatory caveat that this is all in my experience and opinion :)[/size]

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1503122684' post='3355809']
And another confirmed Magellan fan boy here too :lol:
Having owned a Trace rig for several years and being pretty much [b]underwhelmed by it in every way[/b] (see post #8)
[/quote]

Love it! So you wouldn't describe yourself as a fence sitter on this issue? I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in getting a TE second hand then, perchance? :D :D

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1503150676' post='3356077']
Love it! So you wouldn't describe yourself as a fence sitter on this issue? I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in getting a TE second hand then, perchance? :D :D
[/quote]

Come on Al, you know diplomacy is the least developed of my (admittedly limited) social skills :lol:

The same debate, re: cost for the 2x8" cab, is running on another thread - Release date for the TE Elf.

I managed to get a [b]second[/b] set of TE lightweight 8" PA speakers recently for £40 inc P&P - weigh in at about 5lbs each - I have a cab for them to go in but this is no lightweight - looking for one that is.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1503512096' post='3358859']
The price for the cabs is a complete joke.

The 'relaunch of the relaunch' of Trace Elliot by Peavey has left me completely underwhelmed: a single head, two expensive minature cabs and two oversized pre amp pedals.
[/quote]

Boom! Exactly.

You wonder how these people get jobs.

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1503512096' post='3358859']
The 'relaunch of the relaunch' of Trace Elliot by Peavey has left me completely underwhelmed: a single head, two expensive minature cabs and two oversized pre amp pedals.
[/quote]
Sadly, I have to agree entirely.