Why become a member? ×

So...why haven't you got a Trace Elliot then..

TheGreek

I sold my 12 band SMX combo a few years back. I bought it in the early 90s with the proceeds of my first summer job. It was fecking heavy and way too loud for home practice. A total waste of its talents as I think I only did a couple of gigs with it due to a 15 year hiatus. Ended up replacing it with a load of Genz Benz gear, shuttle 6.2, streamliner and various cabs. I can't say I miss the TE, the new stuff sounds great and is so much lighter. I prefer the simplicity of a three band eq. I now gig fairly regularly and having lugged my own kit plus the band PA (also lightweight class d type stuff) to numerous venues, I could never go back to that 30kg+ monster. But still, it was a relative lightweight compared to the SWR Red Head :o)

As for where my old rig ended up, im going to hell when I die as I sold it, plus a matching 2x10 extension cab to my mates dad, who is 70. That's about a kilo for every year of his life, poor fella!

Did I mention it was fecking heavy?!?

Edited by mingsta

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1502137661' post='3349580']
Brilliant. I think the Ford Granada estate and the Volvo estate where the transport of choice for Bass players with 8x10"s in the 80s.
[/quote]

In the days when I had an Ampeg fridge, I had a Cortina MKIII Estate. In bronze; vinyl roof, mind.... It cost about half what the cab did... :D

I had a BLX130 for many years. It was a funny little thing that weighed about the same a small safe full of something very heavy. It was ideal for practising and doing small gigs, as long as the room was right shape. I sometimes miss it.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1502131587' post='3349515']
I have one.A proper one with the black painted finish, none of yer carpet nonsense. Can't say it gets out of the house much because there is a Ford Granada hiding inside it, at least that would explain the weight.

[attachment=250867:trace.jpg]
[/quote]

A Ford Granada loaded complete with a family of four, their dog, and luggage for a fortnight :).

Enough with the 'Ford Granada' stuff..! I've a very, very long anecdote on the subject; too long even by my standards for BC, and not-so-fond memories of that car. Enough..! Volvos, no problem, Mercos even, but please, leave the Ford Granadas where they deserve to be, occulted by history and forgotten till the end of TIM and beyond. :sad:

Ford Mondeo Diesel Estate. I'm on my third one! Apparently soon to be added to the Endangered Species list. I will be hanging on to my current one for as long a the law allows. Gear shifting heaven in both senses!
saw my original one in the next village last year - I sold it at 265k miles, it had 350k plus on it!!! Shoulda kept it... Current one has only done 135k so getting nicely run in.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1501666936' post='3346332']
I never liked the older 4x10s. Especially the combos as there was no tweeter. However, the valve stuff kills. I even like the peavey era amps actually.

All Trace have to do is put the classic pre-amp (or better yet the mp11 with valve Drive and compression) in a box with a 1000w class D engine. There, I've fixed your brand problems in one go. Plus if they went mp11, all the knobs and e settings would be midi controllable so you'd have ludicrous flexibility.

Are you listening Trace Elliot?!! Stop with this Elf nonsense and give us some proper gear to drool over!! You know it's underpowered, so do we. Nobody is fooled.
[/quote]

This ^ . I still have an original GP11 250 and a GP12XV valve preamp for recording (The HEXA series front end), which is by far and away their best gear - and UK built.

The GP7 head was horrible - not even the pre shape could save it. I went through the 715 combo phase too ~ and hated it, so went David Eden instead. No regrets and very glad I did.

However, I'm intrigued by the ELF and plan to pair one up with a Phil Jones 4x5 .......................

I bought an 250 SMX about a month ago on BC out of curiosity, have since done 8 gigs with it and am absolutely in awe.. It's ridiculously loud, has every conceivable feature you could want, and is compact and not at all heavy. I love it.

How is it SOO much louder than amps with three or four times the power?

Witchcraft I imagine.

[quote name='jay-syncro' timestamp='1502389980' post='3351190']
I bought an 250 SMX about a month ago on BC out of curiosity, have since done 8 gigs with it and am absolutely in awe.. It's ridiculously loud, has every conceivable feature you could want, and is compact and not at all heavy. I love it.

Witchcraft I imagine.
[/quote]here's the answer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6YbqrRK3g&t=188s
I think sometimes they left out the anti gravity juice though :)

[quote name='jay-syncro' timestamp='1502389980' post='3351190']

Witchcraft I imagine.
[/quote]

I've also just bought a 250 SMX. My first amp was a series 6 in the 1990s, and I then had a 300 SMX in the 2000s, both great amps. I've been toying with the idea of returning to TE gear for several weeks, so when one came up for sale local to me I felt compelled to buy it :D

I took it to practice last night and am very happy on initial impressions, it sounds great and as mentioned above it's incredibly loud (I only had the master volume on 2).

Trace Elliot combo was the first amp I had. I used to hate how heavy it was and always thought my bass was the reason for awful tone I was getting until I bought a couple of new basses and pedals, played through other rigs and realised it was the combo.

Got rid of it ASAP and never looked back. I've tried a couple of bits of TE since (as a mix of GAS and curiosity got the better of me) and I wondered if my opinion may have changed now I've been playing longer and have a better understanding and experience with gear. Nope. Still think they're not my cup of tea and my back and ears are much happier with my current class D rig!

Edited by skej21

I absolutely loved TE Ah300 GP12 SMX. Still the benchmark bass head for me of all the ones I've owned. Crystal clear, pokey, defined and notes full of body. I always found the presets bloody awful myself (sucked all the definition) but horses for courses and all that.

I also can never understand how people can say a bass sound is 'of a time', Which is a phrase that gets bandied about whenever Trace is mentioned. My tone with the Trace was anything but 'dated' or 80s sounding. It was any sound I wanted to have! 12 band EQ! Can tone even be 'dated'?

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1502617971' post='3352433']
I would imagine that most people don't have Trace Elliot stuff is because the Elf head date continues to be pushed back. Ha!

However, on a serious note, I still have my old boxer 15 practice and which still works perfectly after 18 years.
[/quote]I may be wrong but the Elf is going to be nothing like the old Trace stuff, can't really see the point of having a head that small, a class D with no graphic, how can it be?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1502618315' post='3352437']
I may be wrong but the Elf is going to be nothing like the old Trace stuff, can't really see the point of having a head that small, a class D with no graphic, how can it be?
[/quote]

Exactly. It's a triumph of marketing over common sense for every unit they sell. It'll be underpowered rubbish trading off the gimmick that it weighs less than a Higgs-Boson particle.