Why become a member? ×

Stripped pickup screws

ChazzJEUK

Every bass I seem to come across pre owned that I take in part Ex/trade always seems to have stripped pickup screws.

What is it with people and not using the right size screwdriver? Is it hard? What's the point in being lazy and ruining something then to just trade it off and make it someone else's problem?

Sorry for the rant but this is so dam frustrating!!

So sick of having to sort this problem and invest in new pickup screws every time I do a bass up to sell on. Not to mention they'r a pain in the A to get out in the first place!

Anyone else notice the lack of care taken with preowned basses they happen to come by?

[quote name='ChazzJEUK' timestamp='1501531308' post='3345353']
Every bass I seem to come across pre owned that I take in part Ex/trade always seems to have stripped pickup screws.

What is it with people and not using the right size screwdriver? Is it hard? What's the point in being lazy and ruining something then to just trade it off and make it someone else's problem?

Sorry for the rant but this is so dam frustrating!!

So sick of having to sort this problem and invest in new pickup screws every time I do a bass up to sell on. Not to mention they'r a pain in the A to get out in the first place!

Anyone else notice the lack of care taken with preowned basses they happen to come by?
[/quote] please take a photo of your Alpher pickup screws - I suspect they solved this problem for you :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1501623113' post='3346073']
please take a photo of your Alpher pickup screws - I suspect they solved this problem for you :)
[/quote]

The Alpher's have never been an issue and have Allen Key screws. Other basses I've had in part Ex to sell on are the problem. Over the last few years I must of had at least 15 pass through my hands with stripped screws. Even neck screws too.

When talking of screws, 'stripped' most commonly and correctly refers to the threads being stripped, I guess what you are talking about is 'buggered heads' which is commonly refered to as buggered heads :rolleyes: not stripped.

That's my technical engineering twopence worth :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1508365216' post='3391788']
I have buggered heads on the pickups of my Sterling. Most annoying, I have tried umpteen methods of getting them moving and none have worked. Short of shelling out for some kind of Dremel, I'm.....screwed....
[/quote]
Can you press the pup right down into the cavity to allow the screw head to be proud and grab-able and get pliers or small mole grips on and turn it bit by bit till it's moving freely enough to tweak out?

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1501680914' post='3346518']
When talking of screws, 'stripped' most commonly and correctly refers to the threads being stripped, I guess what you are talking about is 'buggered heads' which is commonly refered to as buggered heads :rolleyes: not stripped.

That's my technical engineering twopence worth :)
[/quote]

Best ever answer :lol: :lol: