Why become a member? ×

Where are all the live music, TV shows?

gjones

There's Jools Holland.

Up here, in Scotland, we have The Quay Sessions http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05x1ylt

I can't think of any other UK TV show, that is set up to specifically, broadcast artists, playing live music?

Considering how popular music is, it's strange that TV companies don't make more of them.

We have hundreds of TV channels broadcasting, mostly, total sh*te. Why don't they produce more shows like Jools Holland's. Bands would be queuing up to promote their tours/albums and they would be cheap to make.

Does anybody else know of shows that I'm not aware of?

Edited by gjones

Sky Arts have a few shows I seem to remember, not in the format of Jules but they do broadcast some live music. I think in an age with more and more tv channels and the internet bidding for everyone's attention, a live music show is a niche market and wont draw people in.

I hate the fact that huge swathes of the population tune in to watch shallow, vain, vacuous people on love island pretend their are in love and have sex on national television but its what 'sells'. I would love more documentaries and music but I don't think many other people would.

To be brutally honest I am mostly disappointed with Jules Holland anyway. Like so many of my friends now, we get everything we want from Youtube. There are so many Youtube channels that interview and films bands live and do 'session' type programmes, Sofar Sounds springs to mind immediately. You can always find loads of concerts that you would never get to see otherwise.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1501495545' post='3344968']
I hate the fact that huge swathes of the population tune in to watch shallow, vain, vacuous people on love island [color=#ff0000][i][b]pretend [/b][/i][/color]their are in love and have sex on national television ...
[/quote]

No! Say it ain't so! Their love is true and will last for ever ... it must be ...

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1501522298' post='3345262']
Also Music Vault YT channel for dinosaurs living in the past . ;)
[/quote]

So if you like live music your living in the past? If yes, I'll gladly and proudly stay in the past.

Blue

There seems to be endless numbers of channels showing the same videos over and over again (bit like most radio stations, but with pictures).

BBC Scotland & BBC Alba always seem to have some live music somewhere, the Quay Sessions, bits of Heb Celt, the Trans Atlantic Sessions, Belladrum.

I suppose that it's more down to money than logistics, but it would be good to have more live music on the telly. Something like The Tube would be great.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1501493603' post='3344948']
There's Jools Holland.

Up here, in Scotland, we have The Quay Sessions [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05x1ylt"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b05x1ylt[/url]

I can't think of any other UK TV show, that is set up to specifically, broadcast artists, playing live music?

Considering how popular music is, it's strange that TV companies don't make more of them.

We have hundreds of TV channels broadcasting, mostly, total sh*te. Why don't they produce more shows like Jools Holland's. Bands would be queuing up to promote their tours/albums and they would be cheap to make.

Does anybody else know of shows that I'm not aware of?
[/quote]

Vintage TV has some "live" sets. I recently enjoyed watching Wilko and Norman Watt Roy playing to camera as if at a dress rehearsal. They nailed it. Norman fell ill at a gig soon after. I am hoping he's doing well with his recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY3FRojnW4Y
Vintage TV channel numbers for the various broadcasters are on the YT page just below the clip.

Maybe not a place to find up and coming acts however. We could do with some more right enough. I'm thinking the additional exposure would benefit the bands featured too.

In the early days Later did a road trip to New Orleans. I wish they'd do that again. We had the Motown studio guys over for a gig at the Festival Hall in 2000 and the Hi, Stax and Muscle Shoals studio bands over a few years later at the Barbican. Legendary players and a once in a lifetime gig. Someone from the UK should have filmed those gigs.

A whole generation of significant players has passed and no one in UK TV gives a crap.

• Like 1

Because of streaming and the lack of CD/download sales, big, established bands are playing more live gigs than ever before. So there must be a huge audience for live music out there. I just wonder why TV companies aren't cashing in on the market. I'd love to see more live music on TV, both from the dinosaurs and the new kids on the block.

• 11 months later...

I grew up watching The Tube, and then a few years later The White Room. I preferred the format of allowing acts to play a short set of two or three songs to the Later... format of playing one song and moving on. I’m sure that if C4 thought that there was value in bringing a show like that back they would’ve done by now. 

A plain and simple studio format show hardly warrants any excitement now. Festival coverage seems to be greater, where it being an event carries a lot of the sense of occasion. I do agree that YT is a great source of live music, especially the channels that present a challenge to the act such as NPR. I do miss the ‘old days’ of festivals where artists battled stage volume, rubbish monitoring and a feral crowd of non-paying chemically addled lunatics to produce tribal moments of celebration than the sterile health and safety of today, but I’m not paying the insurance bill so I can say that! 

I think we have to accept You Tube is like another TV channel now. I watch YouTube through my TV and can watch pretty much any live performance by any band when I want.

Can't remember the last time my kids watched 'normal ' TV as it's always Youtube or Netflix which also has lots of music programmes on.

On 31/07/2017 at 12:01, mikel said:

You are right it would be cheap to make, and probably get good audience figures. My live music fix at the moment is Daryl's House. Some great stuff on there.

I love the program but in all honesty it seems that after selling to MTV they are not updating the website with new content regularly. IT's a shame.

1 hour ago, Mcgiver69 said:

I love the program but in all honesty it seems that after selling to MTV they are not updating the website with new content regularly. IT's a shame.

They've just announced by email a new load of acts for the Fall (not The Fall!), but it was just a teaser from DH so no details yet.

21 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

They've just announced by email a new load of acts for the Fall (not The Fall!), but it was just a teaser from DH so no details yet.

That would be great news!! that program is everything I wanted from a music show. Great musicians playing together and working out new versions of their own songs or even new covers