Why become a member? ×

EBS GAS

SisterAbdullahX

I thought my days of humping a big heavy 4x10 were behind me but I now find myself gasing for an EBS HD350/Proline 2000 410 rig. It's totally irrational as I'm perfectly happy with what I have and my current cab can be carried with one hand. I've always wanted to try one though as I do like the EBS tone but the weight of that cab was always the deal breaker. Also, I know their cabs don't go super low and am slightly concerned how one would work with my 5 string. Am I quite mad?

The HD350 + Proline 410 I had was a thing of wonder. Always keep promising myself another 410 but would struggle to justify buying yet another one due to the size and weight of it. However...... *checks Amps & Cabs for sale section*

Having gone fully IEM with the function band a couple of years ago, my EBS tone comes via a MicroBass II but I still pull my HD350 paired with a Bergantino CN212 for the bigger gigs where a PA is supplied. For me, the Berg gets pretty ballpark to the hifi tone of the Proline but a fraction of the weight.

I'm currently running an HD350 into a Neo 2x12, in the past I've had a Mk1 Fafner and Proline 4x10

I'd say tonally, the Proline cab just edged it, but I've not done an A/B comparrison and from what I remember there was little in it - they both sound great, just different flavours of great.

However the weight difference is immense, going to the car on Saturday I had the 2x12 in one hand and my HD350 rack in the other. I remember the Proline 4x10 being a two hand, preferably two person lift; being roughly the weight of a small moon.

The secret to the EBS cab is the crossover paired with the Eminence drivers... so if you like the excitable highs, that's what you'll need.... You could always find the cheapest EBS cab you can find and use it as a donor cab and get the speakers and crossover into a lighter box...

Gunsfreddy's setup is interesting though - the SWR has a lot of highs too... and some would argue that the crossover is more sensible.

When its a backline only gig with my regular band or depping and 9/10 it is just using back line, I'm happily the loudest drowner outerer if I want to be, with just the EBS 350HD head and an ebs neo 2x10. I use an extra neo 112 when I want that bit more. Then I'm hands down the loudest if I want to be.
I know I could be that bit more *yes* with a proline 4 x 10 but I think the compromise all round is a good one with the neos. Plus most of the smaller places I play i wounder if the 4 x 10 would be too much?
Still.......a 4 x 10 proline with the HD350....hmmm...yes....ahhh..

To my ear the SWR highs are just a little softer on the ear than the EBS which I really like.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1501548019' post='3345483']
The secret to the EBS cab is the crossover paired with the Eminence drivers... so if you like the excitable highs, that's what you'll need.... You could always find the cheapest EBS cab you can find and use it as a donor cab and get the speakers and crossover into a lighter box...

Gunsfreddy's setup is interesting though - the SWR has a lot of highs too... and some would argue that the crossover is more sensible.
[/quote]

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1501604966' post='3345870']
I love my EBS Neo 2x12 so much that when I stupidly sold it in favour of something I thought was going to be better, I had to go out and buy another one!
[/quote]

Me too on the first point.

I really should on the second but my TE are so close to what I want that I really couldn't justify it.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1501617098' post='3346010']
Course, now that I want one there's none for sale...
[/quote]

*cough*I'll just leave this here*cough*

#enabler

Edited by Graham

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1501936694' post='3348334']

Ooh! I bet you get into trouble for that!

I did see it but, if you don't mind me saying so, that carpet looks rather worn!
[/quote]

It's in better nick than mine, but then presumably this person doesn't own a cat.....