Why become a member? ×

New Laney Nexus SLS, little powerful fella?

karlfer

Laney has never seemed to get much love here, but I remember over 40 years ago, going to see Sabbath, there was much Laneyness.
They are still around, which says something.
So, anybody tried/got one of these little fellas?

http://www.laney.co.uk/products/nexus-sls/

Couple of interesting features.

Whenever I've played through Laney gear, in rehearsal rooms or occasional festival gigs, I've always been impressed by the clarity and volume from their amps. I recommend them to new bass players, because you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Curious to see what those who've played one these have got to say. Laney don't get much love, but the Laney RB bass head I borrowed from a friend for a gig a while back was punchy, big-sounding and had a lot of balls. Built like a safe as well. Would be nice to hear some positive Laney vibes!

Formed in 1967, British made and based in the West Midlands (where I grew up :)) I think the Nexus range offer really good value for money and are definitely worth a second look. I'm really interested to hear how these amps stack up both as lightweight hybrids and as competitors to some of the leading D class amps such as the Genzler Magellan.

I haven't tried this line. I owned the nexus tube which is a really well engineered bit of kit. I dont think laney offer bassists enough though. These look to be versatile units but for the heritage and quality laney offer I can't help but think the brand has so much more to offer the bass market than they currently are.

I'm kinda keen for them to do more as I'm a fan of them

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1501401028' post='3344397']

Buggered if I can find the SLS head review Dan :blink:
[/quote]

Try this;
https://youtu.be/NkHy0fVbtUU
😉

Edited by Osiris

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1501404934' post='3344429']
Good man, merky buckets :D
[/quote]

and here's the SLS too:

[url="https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/videoplayer?issue=44&umbracourlname=dv_laney_nexus_bass_amp_review"]https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/videoplayer?issue=44&umbracourlname=dv_laney_nexus_bass_amp_review[/url]

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1501407385' post='3344446']
and here's the SLS too:

[url="https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/videoplayer?issue=44&umbracourlname=dv_laney_nexus_bass_amp_review"]https://www.guitarin...bass_amp_review[/url]
[/quote]

Great review. What model Fender bass are you using?

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1501408015' post='3344452']
Great review. What model Fender bass are you using?
[/quote]

Thank you!

I'm going to have to do a video about it as I get asked about my bass so much! It's one of the awesome Fender Jazz Bass Specials, but the active variety. These were known as the Power Jazz Bass Special. They were a little different as they featured carbon neck inserts, and an all important extra fret on the board, deep scoops around the horns, reverse P configuration and a very cool 'notching' EQ filter circuit with three way selector. The necks on these I understand are modelled on a '62 Jazz, but I've never been able to compare to know for sure. I love the headstock with the carbon fibre facing. I have another one of these basses and there is more of a shine on that one. Both made in the late 80's in Japan, they represent what I feel to be some of the best work to come out of Fender. Even at these ages, I am still surprised at how well they play when set up properly.

So, this one isn't entirely stock! First of all, everyone will probably know by now I am a massive fan of 'flip' or 'chameleon' paint and my basses for over 11 years have all featured some sort of colour changing finish. (Oh my have I got a surprise in store over the next few weeks ha ha!!) - This one got the same treatment. The finish at some angles is very pink!! I can get a great grey/blue from it and Burgundy Mist into Rose Blue is totally achievable. Which is great as I can go from Guy Pratt to Billy Sheehan in one swift movement ha ha ha!

I've stripped out all of the electronics too and have found a total match made in heaven - That's an EMG PJ set (don't believe a word from anyone who says these sound 'sterile' they have no clue lol) and I've strapped that to a Glockenklang 3 band preamplifier. The whole thing works in every situation, even vintage bass tones. I do like a bit of top end ping though, so edging towards Marcus Miller but with some more punch.

Finally, new hardware too - I could have kept the original Gotoh gear, but I've replaced it with new shiny stuff - Dunlop Dual strap locks top off the spec'.

Everyone who has played this bass has loved it, it's a total gem and has the ability to make me sound better than I actually I am. (I'm really not.) I will never part with it.

The other model I have is still stock in Candy Apple Red and is part way through upgrades. I tend not to gig either as 9/10 I need the low B string.. oh, if the PJBS was available as a 5er! That'd be interesting!

The Nexus Cabs are amazing. I used a 15" and a 4x10" with a Hartke LH1000 and there was a ton of clear deep rich sound from them. The only reason I changed was that I didn't need something so powerful anymore or I would still have them.

I think they've changed them slightly but I had the original NX115 & NX410 cabs

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1501410254' post='3344469']
Thank you!

I'm going to have to do a video about it as I get asked about my bass so much! It's one of the awesome Fender Jazz Bass Specials, but the active variety. These were known as the Power Jazz Bass Special. They were a little different as they featured carbon neck inserts, and an all important extra fret on the board, deep scoops around the horns, reverse P configuration and a very cool 'notching' EQ filter circuit with three way selector. The necks on these I understand are modelled on a '62 Jazz, but I've never been able to compare to know for sure. I love the headstock with the carbon fibre facing. I have another one of these basses and there is more of a shine on that one. Both made in the late 80's in Japan, they represent what I feel to be some of the best work to come out of Fender. Even at these ages, I am still surprised at how well they play when set up properly.

So, this one isn't entirely stock! First of all, everyone will probably know by now I am a massive fan of 'flip' or 'chameleon' paint and my basses for over 11 years have all featured some sort of colour changing finish. (Oh my have I got a surprise in store over the next few weeks ha ha!!) - This one got the same treatment. The finish at some angles is very pink!! I can get a great grey/blue from it and Burgundy Mist into Rose Blue is totally achievable. Which is great as I can go from Guy Pratt to Billy Sheehan in one swift movement ha ha ha!

I've stripped out all of the electronics too and have found a total match made in heaven - That's an EMG PJ set (don't believe a word from anyone who says these sound 'sterile' they have no clue lol) and I've strapped that to a Glockenklang 3 band preamplifier. The whole thing works in every situation, even vintage bass tones. I do like a bit of top end ping though, so edging towards Marcus Miller but with some more punch.

Finally, new hardware too - I could have kept the original Gotoh gear, but I've replaced it with new shiny stuff - Dunlop Dual strap locks top off the spec'.

Everyone who has played this bass has loved it, it's a total gem and has the ability to make me sound better than I actually I am. (I'm really not.) I will never part with it.

The other model I have is still stock in Candy Apple Red and is part way through upgrades. I tend not to gig either as 9/10 I need the low B string.. oh, if the PJBS was available as a 5er! That'd be interesting!
[/quote]

Thank You. Now the GAS is building up. Go on, you know you don't need 2 of them sitting around the house :gas:

• 2 weeks later...

I know a couple of guitarists who swear by their valve amps - I guess Black Sabbath remained loyal for so long for a reason! It's only in the last few years that I moved away from Laney bass amps myself, and that was because Ashdown seemed like a better route into valve heads. Surprised Laney haven't attempted a smaller valve head themselves, as the Nexus Tube seems to receive generally positive reviews from what I've seen.

• 4 weeks later...

Reading through the features us bass players would like Alex to include in his planned BF Amp Head http://basschat.co.uk/topic/310351-bf-gen-4-cabs-not-anytime-soon-but-a-new-bf-amp-may-be/ it seems to me that a bunch of them are already in the Laney SLS!

Has anyone got one of these, or know which stores stock to try out?

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1501417790' post='3344527']
Thank You. Now the GAS is building up. Go on, you know you don't need 2 of them sitting around the house :gas:
[/quote]

I'll give it some thought!

• 2 weeks later...

I played a Nexus something or other in Guitar Guitar and thought it sounded good. Can't remember which one but it basically had everything you'd need live or in the studio - heaps of I/O and a lot of control on the front panel. I recall thinking there's a lot of stuff for the money as well as it just sounding good!

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1505934137' post='3375364']
I use this [url="http://www.laney.co.uk/products/nexus-tube/"]http://www.laney.co....cts/nexus-tube/[/url]
Amazing quality piece of kit. I reckon Laney is a hidden gem. Kicks the livin' bejeezuz out of that other British brand that has a massive endorsement roster.
[/quote]

Did you mean Ashdown or Orange? I'm inclined to agreed either way :D

How does the Nexus Tube compare to your Mesa 400+?

But the SLS is obviously a very different beast to the Nexus Tube in terms of both price and weight (as well as being Class D vs Tube).

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1506251275' post='3377280']
I played a Nexus something or other in Guitar Guitar and thought it sounded good. Can't remember which one but it basically had everything you'd need live or in the studio - heaps of I/O and a lot of control on the front panel. I recall thinking there's a lot of stuff for the money as well as it just sounding good!
[/quote]

I agree that Laney are a bit of a hidden gem and worth exploring further and seem to be offering a heck of lot of bang for buck.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1506253227' post='3377294']

Did you mean Ashdown or Orange? I'm inclined to agreed either way :D

How does the Nexus Tube compare to your Mesa 400+?

But the SLS is obviously a very different beast to the Nexus Tube in terms of both price and weight (as well as being Class D vs Tube).

I agree that Laney are a bit of a hidden gem and worth exploring further and seem to be offering a heck of lot of bang for buck.
[/quote]

Oh, I meant Ashdown

My MJW Taranis is more or less a clone of a Matamp GT200 or Orange AD200 but with two very different channels and loads of knobs and power scaling and valve routing options. I contacted both Matamp and Orange at the time and neither wanted to do a custom front end so I found ex-Matamp builder/designer and boutique guitar amp builder Mr MJW who knocked up a new (old tech) take on a GT200 for me.

I will say that the Ashdown Big Block thing intrigues me but I don't trust the build quality.

Laney Nexus Tube vs Mesa 400+? It's like comparing a 1990s Porsche 911 Turbo to a modern Audi RS6!

They're both fundamentally massive valve amps but with very different characters and although the core technology is the same, the Nexus has incorporated a lot of modern touches.

The 400+ can be more brutal, has a tone stack and EQ that is confusing to the uninitiated and has two very good and different preamp channels. It also has the mindfck Mesa DI system. Don't touch anything on the panel after the sound guy has done his job!

The Nexus is more tweak-able and generally easier to live with. It does weigh in at 37kg, though, a lot heavier than the 400+ but I couldn't give a toss, I have a trolley and work out.

They are both amazing and get selected randomly to go to the gig. These are my two main gigging amps.

The SLS is probably a worthy amp and I carry a Class D in my gigbag in case "my real amp" blows up but I can't get excited about sterile characterless hardware.

No point in having the Solid State vs Valve argument. For me they all have their place and I've made my choices. And my choices cover all the bases as I have a MOSFET Hybrid SS amp in the stable too that is also amazing.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1506269279' post='3377472']
No point in having the Solid State vs Valve argument. For me they all have their place and I've made my choices. And my choices cover all the bases as I have a MOSFET Hybrid SS amp in the stable too that is also amazing.
[/quote]

Thanks for all of that. Yup 37kg!!!!!! I'm sure it's not something that folk would be able to toss whether they give one or not! :P

They do both sound amazing and frankly [i]that[/i] warm valve amp sound is one that so many of us covet. (I get to approximate it with Two Notes Le Bass pedal).

MOSFET Hybrid SS - is that your Mesa Walkabout Scout? I've got a Mesa Carbine M6 which I equally love which is a 12Ax7 valve preamp and MOSFET SS. I don't quite understand Mesa discontinuing both their Walkabout and Carbine lines, they were quite special amps.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but I thought I would offer up a bit of review on the Laney Nexus SLS (the smaller one).  I have been gigging one of these steadily for the last six months.  It replaced a GK MB500 which was my previous No.1 head simply because I felt like a change.

Background: I play either a Schecter 004, or an Ibanez SR1200, and pair the nexus with an Eden D210xst cab.  Our covers band is doing pubs, weddings and corporate functions in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Laney Nexus Pros:  Sounds great (I like a nice clean sound), enough EQ to get you by, powerful enough (300 / 500W) for what I do, Tilt EQ superb for adapting to dark / bright room, built-in effects sound good (Very usable chorus, octave and compression if you leave your pedals at home), still small and light enough to be easily portable. Speakon and DI outputs are professional touches.  Footswitch controllable FX and mute.

Laney Nexus Cons: Not much really. Not as light and compact as the MB500.  Pre-shape very subtle. Does not cover my wrong notes or make me coffee in the morning 😉

I will admit to being a bit of a Laney fan.  I had an RB9 for a while and it was a good cheap amp, although the cabinet that came with it was pants.

I hope someone finds this helpful.  Definitely a good gigging amp IMO,and also has studio features.

Cheers,

A.

• Like 1