Why become a member? ×

Fender Dimensions

drlargepants

I like them. They're well balanced with a lovely neck, feel very nice to play and have a wide range of sounds if you get the active 18v ones. The problem with them, if there is one, is that the humbucker setup automatically makes you think it's Fender's Stingray equivalent and it's not. If you buy it as a Stingray alternative you'll be disappointed; if you buy it as a Dimension then you could be pleasantly surprised. I think they were overpriced anyway, although Andertons deal is pretty good - you can get a USA Elite model for under £1k.......

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1501286883' post='3343876']
I like them. They're well balanced with a lovely neck, feel very nice to play and have a wide range of sounds if you get the active 18v ones. The problem with them, if there is one, is that the humbucker setup automatically makes you think it's Fender's Stingray equivalent and it's not. If you buy it as a Stingray alternative you'll be disappointed; if you buy it as a Dimension then you could be pleasantly surprised. I think they were overpriced anyway, although Andertons deal is pretty good - you can get a USA Elite model for under £1k.......
[/quote]

That's what I thought. Not my sort of thing in the slightest, but they look good value at that price.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1501351583' post='3344237']
Other than sounding different to Ps/Js/MMs are there any other advantages? Do they weigh less, hang better, have better necks? If not then they are not going to sell and their future looks doubtful. Fender seem happy to scrap lines, remember Cabronita?
[/quote]

I guess the answer to all those things is no not really. The neck on the ones I've played is lovely but not astoundingly so (the nicest neck I've ever played was a Sterling) and weight is much of a muchness. The problem Fender have is that they're so inextricably linked with the Precision and the Jazz that people won't credit their alternate models. There have been so many other Fenders come and go over the years and I agree, I think this will go the same way. Shame because I think it's a quality, understated all-rounder, especially in 5 string guise.

I wonder why the Mexican version of the 5 string has a 5 tuners in line head whilst the US model. Has the more popular 4 + 1 format? Are they using up the old jazz 5 string necks which used to have the 5 in line head? The Andertons deal offers a Mexican 5 for £599 while they are also offering the US made Gibson EB 5 for £699. I know there is not a lot of love for the Gibson but it does seem great value by comparison.

Edited by Grahambythesea

• 2 weeks later...

The five strings are 18mm spacing, 19mm for the four strings. It feels like a big bass width wise to play, but it's very comfortable. Bag yourself one of the American Elites at the sub £1k prices while you can, before the dealers restock with the new ebony fibgerboard models. I picked up two, one with a maple fingerboard and one with rosewood. My maple came from DV24/7 and they price matched Andertons even though Andertons Elites stock had already been sold very quickly last week after the "Epic Deals" video was released.

I really like them, they handle well and I like the looks and but then don't fall in love with the sound. I'm not sure why. Maybe it is because it isn't really distinctive and just falls into the already crowded catagory of "a modern bass sound".

I had a Squier Deluxe 5 and US Deluxe 5 Dimension. They played wonderfully, sounded great and were built so well. I have no idea why they haven't really been accepted. They genuinely offered something different but still allowed you to get, to a point, a Jazz or Precision tone as the pre-amp was actually very versatile. I really hope they are not discontinuing them. I loved playing them and they always got compliments about their sound. They were "marmite" as far as looks are concerned. Personally, I loved the looks but then, I love the look of Bongo basses. If you can find one to try, I would recommend you do ;)

Many manufacturers, and Fender in particular, are lousy in publishing Info on string spacing. Everything else but not that. It is like most string manufacturers miss the "playing length" of the strings. From ball to silk can mean the double winding at the bridge end stretches over the bridge saddles, just like what is the case with Gibson T-birds. More spec's that matters! That should be a standard...

I have only played two four strings: one US that was very bad(!) and a MiM that was very good. The US was badly set up and had the frets sticking out that nasty, flesh eating way. The Mex was exactly how you expect a good bass to be. Obviously, there are "Monday samples" of everything. I really like this instrument, but it won't be a hit, unfortunately. It is hard to be inventive and innovative, especially when you set the industry standard a million years ago like Fender themselves did...

Edited by bassmayhem

I've seen a few for sale on eBay and Gumtree - I couldn't figure out why they're being sold on so soon after being bought - as a rule I'm not a big Fender fan but these are a bit different from the P and J models which are so popular.

Learning all the time..

[url="https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/right-handed-bass-guitar/fender-american-elite-dimension-bass-iv-hh-mn-nat-natural"]Fender American Elite Dimension Bass IV HH MN NAT Natural[/url]

Bax have got 2 of the American Elites left, in natural, with the maple board. £1135....
On the checkout page, use code "DISCOUNT" to get an additional 15% discount, (another £170.25 off), so the final delivered in 2 days price, is £964.75.

EDIT: I think that discount code expires on the 15/08, so today being the 13th, if you're gonna do it, do it NOW!

Edited by clivem

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1502628164' post='3352518']
Andertons have a stupid sale on these at the moment
[/quote]

Quite, but Andertons have already sold the stock they had of American made Elites.....
Which was probably the best bargain of the Dimension rosewood board "blowout" sale..... (They were £999 for the IV string at Andertons and ISTR they only had the Violin finish and the Ceyene).
I think the Natural Elite with maple board for £965, (if you like that kind of thing), is quite a deal! Of course, YMMV.

Edited by clivem

• 4 months later...

Just browsing & came across this.

Mine is the earlier version, 2014, the American Deluxe HH 1V.

On the lower side of "medium" weight, perfect balance.

The 5 position Strat style selector switch is a pretty good idea, especially with Vol then treb/mid/bass cut/boost, although I'm still not a fan of actives. Lot of tonal variations. Wasted on me, I only use 2!

It is beautifully built & superbly finished.

Now, the neck on this expensive beast (the replacement Elites are pushing £2k).

Oiled neck finish, graphite strengthening, truss rod wheel.

Normal 1.62 nut, lovely maple board BUT 9.5 radius at the playing end, 14" at dusty end. The back of the neck is deeper on the bass side, shallower on treble.

I have NEVER EVER played a neck that encourages flying around on it as much as this one does. It just seems to make chords, tapping etc, so much easier & accurate.

If only I had the stones to make such a delicious & expensive beauty passive :$

s-l1600.jpg

I have the passive American Standard version.

ex41ezl.jpg?2

VVT controls, no other switching. Nice neck profile and satin finish. I don't think it gets the compound fingerboard radius treatment. 

A pleasure to play. Different from the P and J without being too different.