Why become a member? ×

NBD USA Geddy Lee

drlargepants

So, having sold my USA standard to fund an AVRI Precision, I realised how much I missed Jazz necks, especially as the AVRI P has rather a lot of girth in the neck department.

After a month or so of fruitless searching for an AVRI jazz neck I happened upon a USA geddy which was being sold as ex demo for a rather heafty discount.

I'm not particularly a fan of maple necks, black bssses or signature models in general, but the teenage Rush fan in me kept saying go and try it, so I did, fell in love with it and bought it.

The neck is incredible, perfect shape for me, on the deeper side but thin at the nut. The attention to detail on the binding, especially around the nut is just stunning. Fretwork is top drawer, makes my 2002 Gibson SG look like it was done by a five year old. Action is on the stupidly low side but is something I'm toying with keeping to try and learn to have a lighter touch.

Sounds pretty much as you'd expect, and I'm not a massive fan of that sound, but it's early days ...

Is it worth the extra premium over a standard ? Probably not, nor the new professionals I'd imagine. Does it work for me
? Absolutely yes, best bass I've ever owned and I'm lucky enough to have owned some pretty decent ones.

Stupidly expensive for what it is, and the signature on the headstock is a bit meh, but the neck, oh my lord !

Very, very happy ! (and skint)

Edited by drlargepants

As I said, not exactly great value for money, but I guess once you get over £1k you're talking very small increments in actual/perceived quality.

Having said that, its by far the easiest bass to play that I've ever had, and I've had quite a few over the years.

I prefer the look of the AVRI 70's (something or other) Jazz, and maple boards look a bit meh to me, but having played and rehearsed with this its been somewhat of a revelation.

Signatures are also a bit icky generally IMO, but nobody complains about all and sundry playing Les Paul signature guitars now do they ? ;-)

Just waiting for some smartarse to start shouting for YYZ or Tom Saywer at our next gig :(

Great bass.

I had a '75 reissue Jazz for quite a few years. It was a more rare rosewood fretboard version. I sold it last year as I'd semi-retired and thought that I could no longer justify having expensive instruments. But God, do I miss that bass? It had the best neck I've ever experienced, similar to the Geddy Lee necks I imagine.

I think you'll forget about what you don't like about your new bass very quickly and just enjoy such a great bass with a neck to beat them all. :)

Frank.

I also got a Geddy Lee jazz at deep discount: guy bought it, then decided he didn't wanna play, so around $300 off. Mine's Japan made, and yes: the neck is wonderful. I think all the new Geddys are MIM now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='drlargepants' timestamp='1507328145' post='3384871']
Paper thin from memory.

Usa one is actually quite deep. Rather like a Ric neck.
[/quote]

Must say I disagree with that, for me it feels very different from a Ric neck.

I have the Geddy Crafted in Japan version and the neck is very impressive. It has a thin depth of neck in comparison to any other bass i've had including my 80's Jazz altho memory of that is maybe a bit vague these days.
I'd say its closer to my Warwick Thumb 89 with regards the depthe of the neck.

Its my goto bass for everything these days. If i find it doesn't suit the music or band i'll look at another bass from there.

Quite fancie putting the white tortosie pickguard on mine but not sure where to get one that would fit perfectly without modification.

Dave

Congratulations, great looking bass.

With a bit of luck in the next month or so I am hoping to take possession of a Geddy Lee style bass myself. Not MIJ or MIM, neither MIA nor custom shop....

first thing i did with mine was put a badass II on, took the Geddy Lee bridge off hated it, although it is like a badass II in design the genuine badass sounds better it just does the Geddy bridge is actually heavier than the original, but i prefer the sound of the Badass II. I do think the neck is the strong point on that bass if you could buy that and bolt it to a usa body you would be sorted.

Edited by geofio

• 1 month later...