Why become a member? ×

Bongo alternative

Sheq

Save up more and buy a second hand Bongo. If there was an alternative, that would be more popular ;).

Alternatively, any 3 or 4 band active bass with two MM humbuckers will vaguely get you in the ballpark?!

Si

I have a 4HH, it's brilliant. A 2004 model in graphite pearl, the best sounding and playing 4 string i've ever had.

Only reason it's not my No. 1 bass is the 5 string HS I have, but doesn't quite play as effortlessly as the 4.

That aside, what else can do a Bongo ? Nothing really, the 4 band EQ I see as the crucial part of it's flexibility. A bass that's as versatile but sounds nothing like it would be a G&L L2000 or M2000.

Edited by Machines

There's really nothing that looks, feels or plays like them.

In terms of the sound, a lot of it is in those neodymium pickups and the 4 band preamp. You could probably get most of the way there by installing a Bongo preamp into an HH bass...

Unfortunately, Bongo owners very rarely swap the electronics and it's nigh-on impossible to buy a second hand preamp. EBMM will not sell you one.

[quote name='Sheq' timestamp='1501228960' post='3343385']
I really like the MM Bongo 4HH, but don't have the £££ for it. Is there a similarly well playing alternative that anyone can think of? Looking to spend around £500. Thanks.
[/quote]Ibanez ATK series get a lot of love and are supposed to be very MM like

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1501667855' post='3346348']
Ibanez ATK series get a lot of love and are supposed to be very MM like
[/quote]

I have an ATK, it's more of a Stingray. In fact it does a better job of the SR tone than my Bongos do (pickup position the reason).

Maybe a bit out of left field - but Cort do a double MM humbucker bass called the C4H (also C5H). They're rather nice, active with 2-band EQ with mid-boost, older versions had Hipshot Ultralites, not 100% certain about more recent ones.
Neck is Wenge, Body is Mahogany.
Example: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cort-Artisan-C4H-White-Pearl-/381792416268"]http://www.ebay.co.u...l-/381792416268[/url] (new 4-string)
There's a 5-string on eBay with a start of £170 - [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cort-5-string-bass-guitar-C5H-/282596810408"]http://www.ebay.co.u...H-/282596810408[/url]
Only downer on the series is the colour palette is limited: gloss pearl white, or matte (goes shiny a bit easily) black.
Edit to add- build quality is very good, fit and finish right up there with basses costing two or three times the price.

I loved mine, and don't quite know why I got rid of it. Just can't justify buying another one at the moment.

Edited by anzoid

that will be a tribute, good solid bass, baseball bat neck though if you like em thinner.

MFD pick ups are very powerful, but have a treble edge to them and are not as refined as some others, but put out a huge sound.

The bass won't let you down and it is good bang for the buck, but don't expect a bongo sound or you will be disappointed, just allow it to be what it is and you will be fine

[quote name='Sheq' timestamp='1501788186' post='3347421']
Found an L2000 for £300. I think that'll do.
[/quote]

A great choice in my opinion. It is a pro-quality bass that covers all

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1501667855' post='3346348']
Ibanez ATK series get a lot of love and are supposed to be very MM like
[/quote]

I have an ATK 805 and it is fantastic and my go to bass at the moment but it isn't the same as an MM. It has loads of power and it's own very special sound

I have had a couple of Bongos and have to agree nothing else sounds like them. They are fantastic but they are too powerful for my predominantly pick based playing style

This post seems to be covering all my favourite basses :)