Why become a member? ×

Cover band bass tone

grumpyguts

Yes, fine, I'm certainly not for one minute saying that it's vital -- pretty sure that's obvious -- but I don't particularly appreciate being effectively told by some people that I'm wasting my time. If I was all that worried about wasting my time, I wouldnt be doing this stupidly expensive hobby in the first place :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501918034' post='3348153']
Standard internet way of thinking these days, if someone asks if it is vital to do something and lots of people say no, those that do whatever it is take that as they are in the wrong.

Is it vital? No, is it wrong for those that do? No.

:)
[/quote]

Some of us like to do it, are able to do it (owing to equipment choice and technique), and think it makes their band sound better - the fact that band members, punters and producers also like it suggests those of us that do are certainly not wrong.

However if you get told by a whole stream of people that they don't bother, ergo it doesn't matter, it's quite natural to get a bit irritated. A lot of us spend a fortune on bass gear, for lots of reasons but more often than not in search of the elusive perfect sound (s).

Those that don't are fine - each to their own. But it doesn't mean bass sound doesn't matter within a song or piece - rather it means they don't think it does. There's also nothing wrong with doing your own interpretation of a cover either.

Anyone saying bass sound didn't matter in the 70s, 80s and 90s would have been considered rather strange (even more so if they were a bassist) - just listen to how those songs are mixed compared with now - it seems that some of the attitudes of 60s pop music, as well as the sounds, instruments and mixing have taken over the mainstream over the last decade and a half.

Edited by drTStingray

That's not really my point.

My function band has one guitarist,one male drummer/singer,one bassist and one female singer, should we restrict ourselves to only play songs that fit that line-up? Having the exact bass sound is miles down the list imo, suitable and decent bass sound where possible obviously but even that's subjective.

The thing is you're never going to A/B the band against the record at a gig or even against another band. In addition, what you hear as a bass player when you are playing is absolutely nothing like what the audience are hearing.

In fact what each individual person hears in a track, is different as well due to the way each of our own bodies have grown and how each of us interprets what each instrument is playing.

Getting into arguments with a band member because you haven't got enough 5kz on your bass tone? That way lies madness. I've had enough of a struggle trying to get guitarists to understand that just because their bottom note is an E doesn't mean I'm supposed to be playing an E as well.

Sure if you enjoy spending hours obsessing over kit then that's fine but personally I want to learn a track and get out and play the thing live to an audience. YMMV.

As I keep telling my lot, we're not a tribute band, so it doesn't have to be - indeed, it can't be - a carbon copy. We're a 3-piece covers band, and it's ok to put our own spin on a song.

Regarding bass, I use a bit of distortion on the Muse stuff we do, and a touch of chorus on the '80s tracks, but other than that, it's a clean, punchy sound.

Over the years I have developed what might pass for my own "style", and that lets me vary my playing a bit. eg. I'm a bit more aggressive on the Sabbath & Velvet Revolver stuff than I am on Beatles, Stereophonics, etc.

Returning to my original point, if you're not a tribute band, then make it your own.

[quote] Imagine covering a motown gig in a room where a P bass is just giving a floppy, droning 'boom' instead of the tight, middy punch of the original record. The professional musician must think on their feet and adapt to the room. Play closer the bridge, cut back some low frequencies, whatever it takes.[/quote]

Was working at the Wickham Festival in Hants last nite (media drone!) and as always I'm keen to "assess" the bass tone for a couple of bands...well the two mid evening bands played P's and to say they sounded bloated and indistinct would be an understatement....why do we bother discussing this and that piece of gear etc. Maybe we should discuss individual sound guys....ha

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1502032735' post='3348856']

Was working at the Wickham Festival in Hants last nite (media drone!) and as always I'm keen to "assess" the bass tone for a couple of bands...well the two mid evening bands played P's and to say they sounded bloated and indistinct would be an understatement....why do we bother discussing this and that piece of gear etc. Maybe we should discuss individual sound guys....ha
[/quote]

Funny you should say that - it was one of the main reasons I fell out of love with the P bass in the early 70s - modern amplification has helped a lot though. I think you'll find that's the main reason why basses like Alembics, Musicman and all the others were invented (I.e. active basses).

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1502033236' post='3348859']
Funny you should say that - it was one of the main reasons I fell out of love with the P bass in the early 70s - [/quote]

Don't blame the tools!

A bad soundman can even make active basses sound bad.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1502033236' post='3348859']
Funny you should say that - it was one of the main reasons I fell out of love with the P bass in the early 70s - modern amplification has helped a lot though. I think you'll find that's the main reason why basses like Alembics, Musicman and all the others were invented (I.e. active basses).
[/quote]

Fair point but in some sort of defence...I play a Squier P with an SPB-1 PU and a light touch. Through my little Ampeg rig, fingers over the PU I can make it sound distinctly activish using little more than technique and the bass rolled off on the amp. But last nite I could almost feel what the sound guy was up to...yep to much bass..bass everywhere...would love to have sneaked up on the desk and tweaked the EQ...on pain of death of course!

Edited by oldbass

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1501542913' post='3345467']
We've played sets where we have seriously emulated some songs and done others in different genres and sounds , does it all have to be one way or the other ?
[/quote]

Probably best not to stray into the whole play-it-just-like-the-original debate as thats been dont to death elsewhere.