Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You need to go into bass building full time. Frank will get a second job and remortgage his home to buy your entire output and keep you in a life of luxury...

Heh, I’m a two bass chap, all I want is the above bass that @Jabba_the_gut is finishing for me and a fretless that is as similar looking to this bass as possible. Mind you, I do love the very short headless basses and I must admit the idea of a five str...

...oh.

Edited by Frank Blank

9 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Maybe with a top like this...

Sure! Is that from the same batch of wood? I know we discussed my ludicrous initial fretless spec but really, watching this bass being reconfigured has made me want a fretless as similar to the fretted one above. I have a couple of fingerboard requests but otherwise just as close to a twin as possible.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to put a thumb rest on here but something that could be removed if wanted. I like the look of basses with the extended fretboard but obviously a bit late for this one so I looked at trying to it with drilling and holes in the top. Came up with the idea of using the truss rod adjustment slot on the principle of once it is set it could be covered.

Messed around with a few shapes and came up with this from an offcut of the original fretboard ebony:

R6kLOQ9.jpg

Took a little while to shape but it fits nice and snugly into the slot like this:

Zi3Aw3q.jpg

3y5p6S7.jpg

It's a push fit so can be removed anytime if needed.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I wanted to put a thumb rest on here but something that could be removed if wanted. I like the look of basses with the extended fretboard but obviously a bit late for this one so I looked at trying to it with drilling and holes in the top. Came up with the idea of using the truss rod adjustment slot on the principle of once it is set it could be covered.

Messed around with a few shapes and came up with this from an offcut of the original fretboard ebony:

R6kLOQ9.jpg

Took a little while to shape but it fits nice and snugly into the slot like this:

3y5p6S7.jpg

It’s a ‘lil work of beautiful design art in itself, let alone fitted on to that gorgeous bass! God I can’t wait to get it in the rack!

Outstanding execution of a fundamentally brilliant idea.

There's a fair few mass production basses that could potentially be fitted with something like that.

I'm eyeing up my Sire V7 as I type and thinking that apart from the obvious utility of the thumb rest it would also cover the dirty great truss rod adjustment hole in the scratch plate at the the end of the neck.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Genius invention - why did nobody think of this before???

Absolutely, and is it just me or does it improve the overall look of the bass? I think it just adds to the lovely organic curves of the whole thing. I know I keep repeating myself but that @Jabba_the_gut has no idea just how good he is.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Si600 said:

How easy is it to take in an out with the strings on and tuned or is the expectation that it's permanent so to speak?

I think I’m right in saying (having referred back to messages between Jabba and I) that it can be removed with the strings loosened.