Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:44, MoonBassAlpha said:

Looks lovely. Could we have a picture of the whole thing please? :)

And some more piccies in the garden sun! 

6mxRLkx.jpg?2

uenOeA9.jpg?1

I replaced the original string retainer bar as I got a comment that the Hipshot one on the ash bass I made looked much better. I quite agree!

Dszvqeh.jpg?1

• Like 5

Cheers for the positive comments - very much appreciated!

I'm planning two more of these in the near future. The first will be the same as this one but fretted, the second will be maple bodied with a walnut top and fretless. I'll stick build diaries up for these once I get started!

Cheers again

Jez

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Tomas. Cheers for the comments.

Unfortunately, I don't have any sound samples despite having the opportunity to get some. I took this bass to the SW Bass Bash where it suited someone who tried it and wanted to by it. I did hold onto it for long enough though to take it to the Midlands Bass Bash where Lee-Man played it and I wish I had recorded it as he made it sound so nice!!

When I complete these I won't make the same mistake again and will get sound samples made!!

Had a chance to do a bit more routing!! After my previous router failing, today routing decided to have a go at me by disintegrating a bearing on the template cutter I was using. Luckily I was cutting the hollowed out section of this bass so no real damage done but it did take a thin strip off the template before I noticed. First job was to repair the template - relatively easy, just needed some veneer supergluing on and trimming back to the original line.

The remains of a template bearing - all the ball bearings disappeared along with the other retainer!!

QT9PJgO.jpg?1

I found a new bearing the same diameter so carried on.

N2sQWmc.jpg

I've also cut the scroll hole on the top.

Tavalzj.jpg

Time to start gluing this together and routing the chambers on the other body.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Hi Tomas. Cheers for the comments.

Unfortunately, I don't have any sound samples despite having the opportunity to get some. I took this bass to the SW Bass Bash where it suited someone who tried it and wanted to by it. I did hold onto it for long enough though to take it to the Midlands Bass Bash where Lee-Man played it and I wish I had recorded it as he made it sound so nice!!

When I complete these I won't make the same mistake again and will get sound samples made!!

Thank You! You really should get patented that body shape - it`s perfect every way and won't be surprised if this design will be stolen from You! and forget to mention headstock shape should be patented too!!!

Edited by zvirus
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Jabba_the_gut changed the title to Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)