Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

Very impressive. Now that it's fretless will this affect the type of strings that go on?
For instance, flats or tapewounds?

Thanks. I'm really enjoying those build - just not getting the time on it I'd like! I'm going to stick with using LaBella black nylon tapewounds on this. I bought a used set off here a while back and really like the feel of them, so I bought a new set to use on this build. Hopefully they will sound nice! Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Lots of little bits and bobs to get done. I thinned the fretboard a little so have had to re-cut the nut slot and reshape a little. I've also drilled the holes for the machine heads so I could ensure everything lined up before drilling the holes for the string anchor points. I ran some string in place of the strings and used some making tape to hold it together whilst I checked it. I have to say, I'm really pleased how this is looking.

eko0qDB.jpg?1

IktRRS5.jpg?1

LHzzlHP.jpg?1

I've also completed some other little jobs; drilled the holes for the bushings for the neck screws, routed the control cover recess and drilled the holes for the string anchors.

I've also started roughly rounding the edges - still lots to do!!

He2FfOA.jpg?1

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

So more routing today - and a close shave where I missed locking the plunger because I'm not too familiar with my new router! Luckily it was when I was just starting and was where the arm shaping was going to be so no harm done - would have been a different story it if had been anywhere else on the body and I'd be writing a post about how I need to make a new body.....

I started off by thicknessing a leftover piece of spalted beech to use for the control cavity cover. I made a couple of templates, one in mdf and another in Perspex. The mdf one is used for making the cover, the Perspex one is used for drilling the holes in the cover. I put the Perspex template in place on the body and mark where the holes will be. I made the cover slightly undersized so I could put a black trim round it - I also countersunk the holes a little deeper so I could line those as well. I did this on the short scale bass I made recently and it looked really nice so I thought I'd do it again on this one as it is using the same woods (the line on the body at the bottom left is just where the body still needs sanding).

yMoVsWr.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

The next job I tackled was to inlay the logo I made. I haven't tried this before so it was a little trial and error working out how to mark the out line. I put some masking tape on the headstock and clamped the logo in place. I then used a fine scalpel to define the outline, then removed the logo shaped tape leaving me a neatly defined edge to work to. There's probably and easier but this worked for me!

I used a Dremel with a burr fitted to remove the wood where the logo was to go. Took quite a few goes of cutting a little, check, cut a little more check but got there in the end!

CLqK9MQ.jpg

I glued the logo in then clamped it in place.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

I then set about rounding the edges which is where it nearly went wrong. Luckily the error was where the arm contour was going to be so no harm was done (note to self about check the plunger lock next time....). I rounded all round the bass and did a bit of rough sanding which is as far as I have got. Here's a few pictures of where I'm up to. I might be going to the SE Bass Bash tomorrow - if so I might take this along.

4o4N0p1.jpg

k9JooRY.jpg

EUyUCrb.jpg

VkxPCa3.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1506103658' post='3376541']
So more routing today - and a close shave where I missed locking the plunger because I'm not too familiar with my new router! Luckily it was when I was just starting and was where the arm shaping was going to be so no harm done - would have been a different story it if had been anywhere else on the body and I'd be writing a post about how I need to make a new body.....

I started off by thicknessing a leftover piece of spalted beech to use for the control cavity cover. I made a couple of templates, one in mdf and another in Perspex. The mdf one is used for making the cover, the Perspex one is used for drilling the holes in the cover. I put the Perspex template in place on the body and mark where the holes will be. I made the cover slightly undersized so I could put a black trim round it - I also countersunk the holes a little deeper so I could line those as well. I did this on the short scale bass I made recently and it looked really nice so I thought I'd do it again on this one as it is using the same woods (the line on the body at the bottom left is just where the body still needs sanding).

[/quote]

Wow, this whole build is just inspirational. Your work, sir, is sparkly clean.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1506426395' post='3378609']
Saw this for real at the SE Bash. It looks and feels good enough to eat :)
[/quote]

Hey, you can't reveal a finished bass anywhere else then the Midlands Bass Bash. Then you can take it on tour once we've vetted it :P

• Jabba_the_gut changed the title to Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)