Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

I've been doing some more work on this so here's an update.

The neck has now been shaped. This was done using a rasp and a small sanding drum. I've tried to blend the neck joint to make it look like it flows a bit more than usual bolt on joints.

s7ayO59.jpg
jqkCFXC.jpg

And this is the joint complete with a coat of oil.

Z9OINFb.jpg

The ripple has come out in the neck quite nicely too

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

As the rest of the bass is a bit more rounded I decided to round the headstock - not tried this before but pleased with how it turned out. It's very tactile - I'll do this again on the next build.

I also needed to measure the approximate position for the bridge so I could drill a hole in the body for the cable. This would still give me a few mm play to get the intonation right before fixing the bridge permanently. I put a single string on just to see what it was like - got a nice acoustic edge to the sound as hoped.

vZhoD2x.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

So then it has been on with the finish, wait, sand a little and repeat several times! The final holes have been drilled for the neck and string retainers (just enlarging / changing depths) so I can put the bass together to ensure everything is right before getting on with the final finish.
gRkz3Ne.jpg
KxTunP2.jpg?1
XATYLxG.jpg
ttFW6pk.jpg
dJlyIhI.jpg

Edited by Jabba_the_gut
  • Like 1

Getting close to finishing but lots of little jobs to do:[list]
[*]Fit pre-amp
[*]Make a couple of decent knobs
[*]Set-up (adjust nut, bridge, intonation etc.)
[*]Fit string tree / bar
[*]Fit strap buttons
[*]Dismantle and complete the finish
[*]Wait......
[*]Put back together
[/list]
Once this is done I'll get some decent photos put up on here.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Wonderful neck joint!

What oil are you using for finishing? Same for neck & body?

Hi Honza,

I've used Ozmo again on this one both on the body and neck. It's had 3 or 4 coats so far - one more should finish it nicely.

Cheers Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Cheers for the positive comments on this one. I have tried it even though the setup needs sorting and I'm really pleased how it sounds so far. I've also weighed it and it comes in at 6lb / 2.75kg so it is quite light - I weighed a solid body bass I built and that came in at 10lb for comparison. It needs the battery and preamp but that won't add much to the weight.

Cheers

Jez

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

...and look forward to hearing this :)

What do you reckon to the preamp?

Hi Andy.

I quite like the preamp (could do with a bit more explanation / documentation) - there's just enough tone control with the top end roll off. Certainly sounds better than the piezo on its own. See what you think at the SW Bass Bash. How did you find it in Mick's bass as you were using it with both piezo and mag pickups? I struggled to find a piezo only preamp so half of this one isn't being used!! The only thing I could really find was Café Walter preamp but that means ordering from the States.

Cheers

P. S. I'm hoping there's a decent fretless player there to see what it really sounds like - I'm useless with it!!! My neighbour is a guitar teacher and had a quick noodle before the preamp was fitted and it sounded very nice in his hands.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Jabba_the_gut changed the title to Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)