Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

Time to determine the bridge position before drill fixing holes. Firstly I drilled a hole for the piezo cable at the scale length (800mm). I have a few mm play back and forth to set the intonation as the cable hole can be oversized. Once this is drilled and the cable threaded through, the strings can be fitted, the piezo connected to a tuner. The harmonics can then be checked at the 12th fret and 24th fret and the bridge adjusted accordingly. The string anchors are fully installed or levelled yet - they are a tight fit and don't want to come out once pushed into place!

QjUCzet.jpg?1

• Like 5

On 04/03/2019 at 22:30, Jabba_the_gut said:

yOIIF3r.jpg

This is as good as it gets.  Until you've tried to do it, beautifully smooth creamy end grain like this may look easy.  It really isn't. 

Jabba, I have a folder of photos of your sanding, just to remind me of what I should be aiming for.  

Edit:  Jabba, can I ask what the string retainers are that you use?  They look as though they work really well. 

Edited by honza992
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, honza992 said:

This is as good as it gets.  Until you've tried to do it, beautifully smooth creamy end grain like this may look easy.  It really isn't.  

Cheers for the comments @honza992. I am quite fussy with lines and try to line things up (I think my wife would describe it as more obsessive!!). I am pleased with this one; took a bit of patience when glueing and a lot of sanding but turned out well.

Jez

I've been having a bit of a rearrange of how I'm fitting all the gubbins in the cavity. I want to change it from what I've done previously as I'm using magnets to hold the control cover on this time. I need to ensure everything is well clear of the cover so it stays on and doesn't get lost!! I've made a copper tray to hold the battery securely - having said that the magnets are pretty strong.

Aj2QCAD.jpg

I've also marked the holes for the brass inserts. These will be drilled and an M3 insert fitted.

SWIZMvL.jpg

• Like 2

Last few (quite a few...) jobs to do to finish this off for the bash this weekend.

First up, cavity shielding. Normally I use copper foil but I decide to try conductive paint this time.

xO1RcdP.jpg

I've checked that everything fit so first step is to mount the battery tray so I can ensure there is no interference with the jack socket or the pots.

aHawyOv.jpg?1

Next up, I've drilled the holes for the controls (very carefully at this stage. This definitely was a case of measure, measure and measure again - really would not like an error at this stage!!. As per the previous one, I'm installing an East piezo preamp with a volume control and a tone control.

gL1f436.jpg

Then all the components have been wired and a quick test done to make sure the power is getting to the preamp only when the jack is inserted and that there is some noise when the piezo element is tapped. 

Aa0nztc.jpg?1

• Like 2

On 01/04/2019 at 23:01, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've been having a bit of a rearrange of how I'm fitting all the gubbins in the cavity. I want to change it from what I've done previously as I'm using magnets to hold the control cover on this time. I need to ensure everything is well clear of the cover so it stays on and doesn't get lost!! I've made a copper tray to hold the battery securely - having said that the magnets are pretty strong.

Aj2QCAD.jpg

I've also marked the holes for the brass inserts. These will be drilled and an M3 insert fitted.

Nice looking preamp

• Like 1

Neck taped ready to level and polish the frets.

e5q07OF.jpg?2

Once that is done, just need to fix the neck to the body and fit the strings. Set-up will be minimal on this as I have fitted strings before and it didn't look like must adjustment will be required. 

And when this one is done, I'll be finishing off the other shortie bass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Man alive you design and build basses directly from my head...

Cheers Frank!

I'm wanting to get that shortie finished, which will be done tomorrow, then I can concentrate on the walnut, short scale semi hollow bass ready for the Midlands bash!!

46 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Cheers Frank!

I'm wanting to get that shortie finished, which will be done tomorrow, then I can concentrate on the walnut, short scale semi hollow bass ready for the Midlands bash!!

No problem and no rush Sir, I’m looking forward to trying a shortie, never got around to it last time! See you Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

So time to cut the fret slots in the ebony fretboard for the short scale bass. I'm using a StewMac mitre block and a GW fret scale template. 

tMrHejN.jpg

Here's a picture of the slotted fretboard and a Specsavers letter. Note to self 'measure twice, cut once, look at what your doing;....

0BRtAcK.jpg?1

Ended up cutting slots for 27.5" scale rather than 29.5". Still, will use the board to make an extended shortie bass at a later date. Time to cut a new board!!

Edited by Jabba_the_gut