Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

58 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Thanks for info Jabba :)

You are not alone - I hate tru-oil. I don't really know luthiers but I know a few high end toolmakers (planes, saws etc) and no-one uses Tru-oil. A plane-maker I know introduced me to Osmo 1101 -like PolyX but low viscosity. He uses it on plane infills. Really good on close tight grain.
I have a sample of Partridge oil from Skelton saws - he's an ex-gunsmith and knows a lot about oil based wood finishes. If interested, pm me and I'll ask him to get a sample to you.

Thanks for info re fret slots - I'd often wondered how.

Fine work indeed, would love to see the new bass close up. (Midlands bash a bit far for me though).

Sure it is the Osmo 1101 I use- I have tried a couple of types.

I haven’t heard of partridge oil - might have a look into that, thanks.

If you can’t make the Midlands Bash, the SE Bash later in the year is always worth a visit. Always a good selection of basses there and some interesting folk giving chats. 

Cheersr

• Like 1

…. and more sanding! 

jBcXIIJ.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how this is going and the joint between the two halves is looking really nice:

yOIIF3r.jpg

I'm now at a point where I need to dismantle the walnut bass so I can transfer the neck to the spalted beech body. I need to do this to ensure the carve on the heel will blend into its new body and so I can get on with making progress on the new short scale neck. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Time to start looking at a neck transplant...walnut bass ready to strip to refit neck on spalted body.

oaMfig0.jpg?1

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!  Make another neck! Make another neck!  Make another neck!  Prrrrrrretty pleeeeeeeeaaaaassssseeee!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!  Make another neck! Make another neck!  Make another neck!  Prrrrrrretty pleeeeeeeeaaaaassssseeee!

@Andyjr1515 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!!!!

gZpQsy8.jpg?2

The original neck fits like a glove on the spalted body. And the old body with the new, shorter neck template looks like it will be nice too! Frank will be pleased...

FGfNqb6.jpg?2

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a busy weekend getting guitar and bass bits done. I finished putting a Telecaster together for a friend of mine that uses many really nice quality components including solid brass bridge, Sperzel tuners and Lollar pickups. Needs a little set-up and fettling but sounds lovely - those Lollars really are top quality pickups.

I got some work done on the other shortie bass and got round to sanding back and spraying the final coat on the original neck on this project. I did take the bass to the SE Bass Bash last year but it wasn't finished - the neck still needed the finishing coat of nitro and the frets need levelling and polishing. I'll start on the levelling bit this week. The neck is birdseye maple which is lovely wood to work with and has a really interesting finish in my eyes, it's one of those woods that looks different from whichever angle you view it at.

Fretboard masked for spraying:

FoQY3UO.jpg?2

Birdseye maple - lovely stuff!

JjA5Qod.jpg?1

Still loads to do on the rest of the bass...….

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Had a busy weekend getting guitar and bass bits done. I finished putting a Telecaster together for a friend of mine that uses many really nice quality components including solid brass bridge, Sperzel tuners and Lollar pickups. Needs a little set-up and fettling but sounds lovely - those Lollars really are top quality pickups.

I got some work done on the other shortie bass and got round to sanding back and spraying the final coat on the original neck on this project. I did take the bass to the SE Bass Bash last year but it wasn't finished - the neck still needed the finishing coat of nitro and the frets need levelling and polishing. I'll start on the levelling bit this week. The neck is birdseye maple which is lovely wood to work with and has a really interesting finish in my eyes, it's one of those woods that looks different from whichever angle you view it at.

Fretboard masked for spraying:

FoQY3UO.jpg?2

Birdseye maple - lovely stuff!

JjA5Qod.jpg?1

Still loads to do on the rest of the bass...….

Did you consider a light tint on the neck? I have a birdseye neck with a bit of brown in the tint and it really makes the figuring stand out.

3 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Did you consider a light tint on the neck? I have a birdseye neck with a bit of brown in the tint and it really makes the figuring stand out.

Cheers for the comment. I hadn't thought to try that but I have a few offcuts so I'll explore that a bit and see what it does!

11 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

light tint on the neck

Peacock oil would prob be ideal for that - very subtle indeed so tint build is really controlled. I'll give someone a nudge ;) I do agree it would likely bring the subtlety of the eyes out a bit. Lovely lump of maple there, good birdseye is hard to find.

3 hours ago, Soledad said:

Peacock oil would prob be ideal for that - very subtle indeed so tint build is really controlled. I'll give someone a nudge ;) I do agree it would likely bring the subtlety of the eyes out a bit. Lovely lump of maple there, good birdseye is hard to find.

image.png.f4d62becedf4d93d3860bdc864fff7d8.png

+

image.png.5c36ce38db5e200385e546e5a1d8e417.png

= !

As if the above is horrifying enough, you want to pull its eyes out too!?!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

• Like 1