Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Cheers @Norris!! Just trying to get my kitchen project finished (which is turning into bit of a saga) so I can crack on with the spalted beech one. What are you building now?

Still building a Les Paul jr double cut with twin pickups for my guitarist. It's slow going because I'm also rebuilding/repainting the engine out of my VW camper - a large haul of spousal brownie points against future guitar build time :D

I also have a new top to make for my 12-string acoustic. Then I can start on a bass build for myself 

Edited by Norris

35 minutes ago, Norris said:

Still building a Les Paul jr double cut with twin pickups for my guitarist. It's slow going because I'm also rebuilding/repainting the engine out of my VW camper - a large haul of spousal brownie points against future guitar build time :D

I also have a new top to make for my 12-string acoustic. Then I can start on a bass build for myself 

34 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

That's why I'm sorting the kitchen.....

Blast!    I'd better go and empty the dishwasher, then!!!  That's surely got to be worth SOME points....

:)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve now received the wood I’m going to use for the second neck. I’ve got some plain maple and a piece of birds eye maple - so birds eye it is! Same as the other one with an ebony board. I’m looking to make the neck as a 30” short scale this time.

Only fly in the ointment is my bloody leaky pipe in kitchen saga is still going on and preventing me from getting on with this. It’s really getting frustrating now....

• 2 months later...

Finally managing to find some time to get on with this!! I've been itching to get on with this for a while but other more important things needed doing first.

The first of these basses was 800mm (31.5") scale which was dictated by the length of the strings. The second one is going to have a slightly shorter scale length and I'm going to swap things about here a little and fit the original neck on the spalted beech body and make a new neck for the walnut bodied one. 

I've looked at string lengths, particularly between ball end and silk, of some short scale LaBella nylons and some D'Addario chromes which has determined rather than 762mm (30") scale the neck would need to be 750mmm (29.5") scale to suit the bridge layout how I currently have it. I've made a bass before at 750mm scale and that was really nice to play so I don't see any issues here (hopefully..!).

First step is to create a new neck template in the same style as the previous one. As I'm fitting this to the previous body I'm keeping the neck tape the same as the previous neck, it will just be a bit shorter. The only affect this has is to make the neck marginally (about 1mm) wider at the nut.

JcZidNk.jpg?4

I've ordered a truss rod and nut to suit and now I'm just waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can go into the garage to work on this!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have managed to get the garage cleared so I can get back on with a bit of woodwork. First thing for the day was to cut the new template for the slightly shorted neck.

I used the bandsaw to cut the mdf template to within a couple of mm of the final size.

AxMGGSj.jpg

Next was to use the router table with a template cutter to trim the new template to the correct size. I used the previous template stuck to the new one with double sided tape as the template up as far as the nut position, then used a smaller template for the headstock. This smaller headstock template was made but mad to to be about 2mm wider at the nut.

JvKgyrv.jpg

Only a tiny bit of sanding was needed then the template fitted nice and snuggly. The short neck isn't going in this body but the neck pocket is the same size.

v6QAhaH.jpg?1

sEbRkQ1.jpg

Next task is to decide what wood to use for the neck (birdseye maple is favourite at the moment and then to slot the fretboard.

• Like 4

As well as the bass, I'm also putting a Telecaster together for a friend of mine. He's bought all the (very nice quality) parts from different places but they need a bit of work. The neck pocket was too large  so I've infilled that and reshaped it. I've sanded and started oiling the body.

21Hie00.jpg

The guitar has brass hardware for the bridge, knobs, neck plate, control plate and strap buttons but no jack plate. So that was another task for today - make a jack plate. I've got a few bits of sheet brass around (absolutely no idea where they came from but they have been useful!!) so I cut and shaped it to match the control plate. 

gIwjjRu.jpg

rK3wUwl.jpg

The irony is that this thread is for a semi hollow bass that weighs about 6lb (2.7kg) -  this Telecaster body is about 8lb 10 oz (3.9kg) its own!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2017 at 10:37, Jabba_the_gut said:

And this is the joint complete with a coat of oil.

What oil do you use please?, does it depend on the woods applied to? I really like the shape of the f-hole, the way it's a part of the body form, dead good. And from the pic early on, you use the gents saw to cut the fret slots? And some of the woods you use - I bet you know Bob at Timberline ;)

Love these build threads, Top work.

Edited by Soledad

On 23/02/2019 at 06:38, Soledad said:

What oil do you use please?, does it depend on the woods applied to? I really like the shape of the f-hole, the way it's a part of the body form, dead good. And from the pic early on, you use the gents saw to cut the fret slots? And some of the woods you use - I bet you know Bob at Timberline ;)

Love these build threads, Top work.

Hi @Soledad,

Cheers for message. I'm no authority on finishes, I just use the ones that I'm comfortable using. I have tried quite a few different oils (Danish, Tru-Oil, Tung oil etc.) but I tend to stick with Osmo oils - I've just found them the easiest to work with so use them for most things. I have used Tru-Oil once and didn't like it but that must have been me as everyone else seems to swear by it!! I really ought to try this again at some point.

I do occasionally use rattle cans of nitro cellulose (for satin or gloss finishes) or water based lacquers in a spray gun with a compressor. I don't particularly like spraying as it there is more prep and cleaning up and also requires the use of a mask etc, as it isn't generally pleasant stuff. There's also a definite skill to spraying, something I also need more practice at.

For fret slots I use a Pax fret saw in a slotting jig these days as most basses I build aren't 34" scale. If I am making a 34" scale bass I may buy a pre-slotted fretboard if I can get it in the wood I want to use.

Cheers

Jez

I have been doing a little bit of work on this. but again, mainly sanding so no interesting pictures to post except a pile of dust......

I will be getting on with this over the next few weeks as I want it finished for the Midlands Bass Bash. I might have the neck made for the SW Bass Bash but I don't realistically think the whole bass will be done as I don't want to rush it.

I have been buying a few bits of wood for fretboards recently - one ebony and two ebony-a-like. One of the ebony-a-like pieces I bought I'm really not impressed with - it will be going back!! The other is a piece of Rocklite and that looks very nice (uniform colour and a fine 'grain' to it). I'm in two minds about using it on this short scale neck but I think I'll stick with the real ebony I have already cut.

Also, if I change the fretboard, I'll have to make a new bridge to match and I'm quite happy with the one I have already made.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

9 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I have used Tru-Oil once and didn't like it

Thanks for info Jabba :)

You are not alone - I hate tru-oil. I don't really know luthiers but I know a few high end toolmakers (planes, saws etc) and no-one uses Tru-oil. A plane-maker I know introduced me to Osmo 1101 -like PolyX but low viscosity. He uses it on plane infills. Really good on close tight grain.
I have a sample of Partridge oil from Skelton saws - he's an ex-gunsmith and knows a lot about oil based wood finishes. If interested, pm me and I'll ask him to get a sample to you.

Thanks for info re fret slots - I'd often wondered how.

Fine work indeed, would love to see the new bass close up. (Midlands bash a bit far for me though).