Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollow Bass (and another two...)

Jabba_the_gut

I've used my router table and trimmed the neck. I must improve my technique here as the router (again) decided to have a little nibble when going across the grain. Nothing major that can't be sorted but annoying all the same.

Next task are to put the side dots in and sort the logo inlay thing for the headstock. I'm going to use the same shape logo that I have on the two previous basses of this shape. I'm wasn't entirely sure on whether to use plain ebony or to use a lighter wood with a veneer line around it so I made both to see.

First off, I got made a photocopies of a previous spare logo and stuck these to some slices of ebony and a slice of the birds eye maple from the neck.

zIRe4dU.jpg

I used a fine saw to cut the bulk of the excess off. I've mounted my Dremel like a mini router table to trim the edges of the logos tight to the photo copy lines. For the lighter coloured one I trimmed it further as this will have veneer glued around the edge. I used superglue to stick two layers around the logo - not the easiest job as the superglue wants to run and the veneer wants to split, but with a bit of patience I ended up with these:

JZ5swds.jpg?1

I'm going to use the light one with the veneer edge - I think that will look the best when fitted. 

• Like 5

Been doing some sanding on the body - there's some really nice grain and flame appearing. Still hoping to get this in a playable state for the SE Bass Bash but it's going to be tight!

SLefll1.jpg

Just need to sand the body, finish the body, shape the neck, do the inlay, fit the frets, fit the electronics etc etc...….!!! And I'm ignoring the kitchen that has been wrecked by a leak, has the flooring up, drier and dehumidifier installed, will need all the units to be removed, new floor fitted, kitchen re-installed, new flooring across the whole downstairs. That can wait - must get the build finished first for the bash!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

...Just need to sand the body, finish the body, shape the neck, do the inlay, fit the frets, fit the electronics etc etc...….!!! And I'm ignoring the kitchen that has been wrecked by a leak, has the flooring up, drier and dehumidifier installed, will need all the units to be removed, new floor fitted, kitchen re-installed, new flooring across the whole downstairs. That can wait - must get the build finished first for the bash!!!!

There is no button to reflect all of my reactions to all of that.  Suffice it to say that you have my best wishes for good drying weather to assist.  It's a big show coming up so I can understand what's driving you.

All the very best.

9 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Been doing some sanding on the body - there's some really nice grain and flame appearing. Still hoping to get this in a playable state for the SE Bass Bash but it's going to be tight!

SLefll1.jpg

Just need to sand the body, finish the body, shape the neck, do the inlay, fit the frets, fit the electronics etc etc...….!!! And I'm ignoring the kitchen that has been wrecked by a leak, has the flooring up, drier and dehumidifier installed, will need all the units to be removed, new floor fitted, kitchen re-installed, new flooring across the whole downstairs. That can wait - must get the build finished first for the bash!!!!

Bummer about the kitchen.  But gosh - that is a beautiful job on that bass!

14 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I'm ignoring the kitchen that has been wrecked by a leak, has the flooring up, drier and dehumidifier installed, will need all the units to be removed, new floor fitted, kitchen re-installed, new flooring across the whole downstairs.

When does the divorce action start???

You clearly like living dangerously...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

SLefll1.jpg

Ho...ly....cow...

Your sanding is amazing.  Really outstanding. Awe-inspiring.  Curves...light and dark woods....that's hard to get clean lines.  But you get it looking like it has been forged in bass heaven.  No stray sanding dust, beautiful sparkly clean lines.....You are literally killing me😲

Any tips for us mere mortals?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

There is no button to reflect all of my reactions to all of that.  Suffice it to say that you have my best wishes for good drying weather to assist.  It's a big show coming up so I can understand what's driving you.

All the very best.

Cheers @SpondonBassed. Just one of those things discovered by accident and before you know it turns into something a bit bigger. It's a pain the $$*& but not the end of the world!!

7 hours ago, TheGreek said:

When does the divorce action start???

You clearly like living dangerously...

I'm obviously quite lucky to have a wife that doesn't object (too much) to about a dozen basses and various planks of wood knocking around the house. Oh and the large tool chest (still) in the utility room.

Or maybe I just haven't recognised the danger yet...…!!

1 hour ago, honza992 said:

Ho...ly....cow...

Your sanding is amazing.  Really outstanding. Awe-inspiring.  Curves...light and dark woods....that's hard to get clean lines.  But you get it looking like it has been forged in bass heaven.  No stray sanding dust, beautiful sparkly clean lines.....You are literally killing me😲

Any tips for us mere mortals?

Cheers @honza992 but it must be said that the pictures of the two builds you just put in the gallery are stunning. Even so much so, that I'll let you off for one of them being a Telecaster!!

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Played the version of this bass available at the SE Bash today, an absolutely stunning instrument that if I didn’t already own a Rob Allen, would’ve had my wallet screaming. Stunning work.

I'd better get some pictures of our on here now!! Thanks @ezbass for your comments and for letting me have a go on your lovely Rob Allen. Cheers

• Like 1

I will finish this thread off properly but I've been in a mad rush this week!! I was up until 1am on Saturday morning and up again at 7am to try to get this bass ready for the SE Bass Bash but I didn't quite complete everything, I need to finish off the control cavity cover, finish spraying the neck, level the frets and remove any sharp ends. That was the negative but on the plus side I did finish it sufficiently to have a playable instrument. I didn't get chance to try it before the bash but when I plugged it in I was very pleased!! Got some very positive comments at the bash too so doubly pleased!

Here's some photos as it stands. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to finish this properly and take some proper photos as have to get my kitchen operational again as it is currently in pieces!!

I5cTnpC.jpg

CaYQdGy.jpg

kEa9HBY.jpg

WViyDiI.jpg

sPZxGYa.jpg

aniAjl4.jpg

WVPCrSA.jpg

M5608yD.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I will finish this thread off properly but I've been in a mad rush this week!! I was up until 1am on Saturday morning and up again at 7am to try to get this bass ready for the SE Bass Bash but I didn't quite complete everything, I need to finish off the control cavity cover, finish spraying the neck, level the frets and remove any sharp ends. That was the negative but on the plus side I did finish it sufficiently to have a playable instrument. I didn't get chance to try it before the bash but when I plugged it in I was very pleased!! Got some very positive comments at the bash too so doubly pleased!

Here's some photos as it stands. It will be a few weeks before I get a chance to finish this properly and take some proper photos as have to get my kitchen operational again as it is currently in pieces!!

I5cTnpC.jpg

CaYQdGy.jpg

kEa9HBY.jpg

WViyDiI.jpg

sPZxGYa.jpg

aniAjl4.jpg

WVPCrSA.jpg

M5608yD.jpg

big-drooling-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by TheGreek
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I want that bass.

I think you may have mentioned this at the SE Bash..😂😂

Jez, I know you haven't thought about selling your creations - you might want to consider what a "I don't want to sell it" price would be...

and...Stop hogging them!!😂

Cheers for all the comments!

I've still got to get some proper photos. For info the final weight turned out at 2.7kg so just under 6lb. I've still got a few things to finish off which I'll try to get done over the next week or so.

…..and I really like LaBella nylons!

• Like 1