Why become a member? ×

Can't play with a pick

clunkie66

Er... I suggest you take a listen to Electric Rendezvous by Al Di Meola if you think pick playing can’t keep up with fingerstyle ;)

There are plenty of great picked lines out there. The main difference is that you have to hold something rather than just pluck directly with your fingers. Once you’ve got some control there’s not much difference to playing fingerstyle. Have some discipline to play down strokes on down beats and you’ll get a consistent tone. Whatever happened to “if at first you don’t succeed...”??

On 22/10/2017 at 10:52, chris_b said:

. . . . should I forget about it, crack on and play the way I feel most comfortable?

You can use a pick but you don't have to.

Pick or fingers? As long as your tone is good and you can play the songs well then neither is better or worse.

I would agree, but... 

Unfortunately some band leaders do specifically want you to play with a pick (and of course others will want a finger style player). In the 80s I switched to playing with a pick because that as want the bands I wanted to join wanted. However, I was always a better fingerstyle player and switched back after a few years and a couple of bands (which were, of course, the biggest bands I ever played with). I agree that neither style is necessarily better than the other for any given genre.

Personally I think it is all a matter of fashion and now I play fingerstyle exclusively , but it is an advantage to be equally adept with both styles. 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

. I agree that neither style is necessarily better than the other for any given genre.

Never heard a fingerstyle player play Motorhead very well, but yeah I know what you mean, with a bit of EQ fiddling both styles will usually do the job

Yep, I read that when CJ joined the Ramones he continued to play with his fingers, whereas before with Dee Dee it was all down-stroke pick playing. Given that all their success happened with down-stroke pick playing, I`d say to anyone, learn that pick technique, or you may well bring down The Ramones.