Why become a member? ×

Fever

pete.young

Hmm. If you listen to the original version by Peggy Lee you will hear that the bass phrase in each successessive chorus is subtly different from the preceding one. And they raise a semitone each chorus. It seems simple but it's not easy to play. This version sounds how I would probably play it if I was confronted by an open mike singer, ie not very well.

Sorry Pete, I'm a bit grumpy this Sunday morning.

I've played it live, in several bands - it always seems a fave, wherever I end up playing it, audience sing-alongs and clicking fingers aplenty
Haven't listened to Peggy Lee's version for ages (must rectify that) - but I've never played a version that raises by semitones. That would be harder to play!
I've always thought its a great tune on DB - almost written for the instrument :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1500901206' post='3340928']
And, by a weird coincidence, I shall be playing Fever (complete with key changes) at the Ealing Jazz Festival on Saturday.

:)
[/quote]
And I will be playing it at The Raven and Republic (restaurant/music venue) in North Bay Ontario Canada on Wednesday as part of their jazz night.I'll be using my Yamaha SLB200 EUB but will not be changing keys(singer's choice).Great song for bass and the Peggy Lee version has a simpler bass line than some(a lesson here?) and is at a faster tempo than most people expect, she keeps it moving.
I'll be watching for that video bluejay.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1500904999' post='3340964']
Got to hear it!
[/quote]

Sad to relate, logistic problems mean that I won't be playing my DB but will instead be using my Takamine TB10. I'm still hoping to get it right, mind ...

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1500909984' post='3341009']
And I will be playing it at The Raven and Republic (restaurant/music venue) in North Bay Ontario Canada on Wednesday as part of their jazz night.I'll be using my Yamaha SLB200 EUB but will not be changing keys(singer's choice).Great song for bass and the Peggy Lee version has a simpler bass line than some(a lesson here?) and is at a faster tempo than most people expect, she keeps it moving.
I'll be watching for that video bluejay.
[/quote]

And I hope you'll post some of your own ... it's so easy to do acceptable video these days that it would be a shame not to.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1500910553' post='3341015']...it's so easy to do acceptable video these days that it would be a shame not to...
[/quote]

...especially with a talented and willing Bluejay not too far away..! :D

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1500807623' post='3340244']
Hmm. If you listen to the original version by Peggy Lee you will hear that the bass phrase in each successessive chorus is subtly different from the preceding one. And they raise a semitone each chorus. It seems simple but it's not easy to play. This version sounds how I would probably play it if I was confronted by an open mike singer, ie not very well.

Sorry Pete, I'm a bit grumpy this Sunday morning.
[/quote]
Sorry you don't like it, I thought it was pretty good. I'll be grumpy right back at ya and say that the original version was Little Willie John in 1956! Knocks Peggy Lee into a cocked hat if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y27vBA68Zyk

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1500916995' post='3341079']
Sorry you don't like it, I thought it was pretty good. I'll be grumpy right back at ya and say that the original version was Little Willie John in 1956! Knocks Peggy Lee into a cocked hat if you ask me.

[/quote]

Fascinating! I always thought that song was far too hip & cool to have been written for Peggy Lee. I wasn't sorry to hear the last of Captain Smith & Pocohontas either ...

[quote name='Lazurus' timestamp='1500966948' post='3341293']
Has anyone got this in sheet form they can ping to me, would love to have a go at this one?
[/quote]

Just play along to it - you'll have no trouble at all with the notes or structure. The song is all about the feel.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1500967670' post='3341303']
Fascinating! I always thought that song was far too hip & cool to have been written for Peggy Lee. I wasn't sorry to hear the last of Captain Smith & Pocohontas either ...
[/quote]

The original song didn't have the part about Romeo and Juliet and Captain Smith and Pocohontas,Peggy Lee wrote those lyrics for her recording and it is debatable if it was a good idea or necessary.It always sounds a bit odd to me.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1500997544' post='3341642']...
Feedback/mickey taking quite welcome.
[/quote]

Dat nice..!

No brickbats from me, just 'Respect', and well done, the pair of you. Authentic string slaps on the fingerboard, sympathetic phrasing, sensitive singing; what's not to like..? My thumb is up and my cap duly doffed; thanks for sharing. :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1500997544' post='3341642']
an actual basschatter(me) having a go at vocal

Feedback/mickey taking quite welcome.
[/quote]
That's some great ventriloquism skills on display!!

Well, you did say :lol: Very nicely done.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1500803265' post='3340214']
I've always thought that 'Fever' would be a great choice for a bass accompaniment, and this is marvellous playing by Tal Ronen.

[/quote]

Wasn't sure when this started, but once they got into it, and all their little nuances kicked in I really liked it. However...
[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1500916995' post='3341079']
Sorry you don't like it, I thought it was pretty good. I'll be grumpy right back at ya and say that the original version was Little Willie John in 1956! Knocks Peggy Lee into a cocked hat if you ask me
[/quote]
...I loved this, and wasn't aware of it before, so thanks!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1501012510' post='3341836']
Almost as irritating as Moondance.
[/quote]

Now now, Bilbo, a bit more generosity, eh..? No-one's calling it jazz (yet..!), so just calm yourself, take your tablets and lie down for a while. It'll pass, really it will. Moondance indeed..! You and your exaggerations..! :happy:

:lol: :P