Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1501885645' post='3348078']
I tried Burno's 1300 earlier in the week and it was absolutely amazing - loved the neck dimensions and the Nordy pups.Everything about it just felt and sounded right.Being a shiny bass guy I've just ordered myself a 1400 and a set of gold optima's to set it off.
[/quote]

I can't wait to see your new bass mate!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1500905478' post='3340968']
Popped into Wunjos Bass on Denmark St to check out the Ibbys today, as I had a meeting in town.

I did really like the sound of the Nordstrand PUPs and the playability of the instrument.

Some very minor shop dings on the back of the SR1800 – so Tom, the manager, agreed to knock £159 off the display price which, together with a hard case and two year unlimited free servicing, I think we both left happy with!

Delighted to have finally bought something from these guys, having been in an out of the store empty handed for the past 4 years!
[/quote]

Beautiful - congratulations.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1500905478' post='3340968']
Popped into Wunjos Bass on Denmark St to check out the Ibbys today, as I had a meeting in town.

Some very minor shop dings on the back of the SR1800 – so Tom, the manager, agreed to knock £159 off the display price which, together with a hard case and two year unlimited free servicing, I think we both left happy with!
[/quote]

Tell me if I'm being too inquisitive! ;) What was Wunjos sticker price for the SR1800, prior to the discount?

Beautiful - congratulations.

Cheers buddy - I'm still loving it! Have worked out that using a short extension cable seems to be the way to go with my wireless SmoothHound, given the location of the cable connection on the top side of the bass rather than on the rim, which means being wireless will still be a breeze.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502046267' post='3348977']
Cheers buddy - I'm still loving it! Have worked out that using a short extension cable seems to be the way to go with my wireless SmoothHound, given the location of the cable connection on the top side of the bass rather than on the rim, which means being wireless will still be a breeze.

£1,159 pre-discount, but with a bespoke Iby hard case and two years free servicing thrown in.
[/quote]

That's the cheapest I've seem these basses go for - and believe me I've looked. Bargain!

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1502109228' post='3349335']

That's the cheapest I've seem these basses go for - and believe me I've looked. Bargain!
[/quote]

From a quick Google search, £1113 seems to be the best in-stock price at the mo......

[url="https://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-sr1800-ntf-natural-flat/92482"]£1113 @ GAK[/url]
[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/ibanez_sr1800-ntf_bass_guitar.asp"]£1113 @ Rich Tone Music[/url]

Agreed. But I think they come with a gig bag (or nothing), rather than the hard case offered by Wunjos? [Actually it is the soft hard case in the pic below] And two years unlimited servicing on offer from Wunjos is worth a fair bit too methinks? You're not going to get that from any internet retailer.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1502174919' post='3349682']
The premium range come with a soft hard case, if you get what I mean, ie, a rigid but not hard plastic case. Its a pretty good case.
[/quote]

Yep, that's the case my SR1300 came in. Do they sell the hard/soft case separately, I wonder?
Last time I looked, (I wanted a "fitted" case for a "lower" model SR), the only option from them (Ibanez) was a solid/plastic hard case.

EDIT: On the subject of hard cases, I'm still trying to figure out what the differences are if any between the MB20SR hard case and the MB300C, that I think replaced it...... TSA locks, maybe??????

Edited by clivem

Just got an SR700 in amber, 2014 model with the mid-switch. Saw it secondhand on Anderton's website yesterday, and it happily coincided with the sale of my Fender P-bass.
Still in the "getting to know you" phase and not taken any photos as yet - but liking it very much so far.

Just got an SR700 in amber, 2014 model with the mid-switch. Saw it secondhand on Anderton's website yesterday, and it happily coincided with the sale of my Fender P-bass.
Still in the "getting to know you" phase and not taken any photos as yet - but liking it very much so far.

Look forward to hearing a bit more about how you are finding it in comparison to the P-Bass. I've never owned a P-Bass but been recently told that if I want a particular tone I'm hankering for, that the P is the only way to go! Edited by Al Krow

Got my SR1400 NT yesterday and it is pure class - set up to perfection straight out of the case and a steal from Andertons at £899.
Liked the neck so much I bought a mint SR700 from ebay last night - £270 posted in a proper Ibanez hardcase which seemed like a good deal.

Hey - congratulations!! Agreed that your SR700 also sounds like an amazing deal. Are these your first Iby's and you've gone from none to two in a week?! :) Must say, I'm still loving mine. Gonna be a keeper methinks. Out of interest - what does the NT stand for? On a Warwick NT= neck through (which kinda makes sense), but as Ibys are typically bolt-on necks I'm guessing it means something completely different here, just to confuse the likes of me! Edited by Al Krow

Cheers Al - yes 2 in a week The NT is just the colour I think -Natural as opposed to MLG - Mojito Lime Green etc.
Yes I've owned a ludicrous amount of basses and would be in a lot less debt if I'd discovered these in the beginning ! As soon as I picked up Burnos 1300 I knew it was right for me too. Can't believe I've missed them all this time.

Thanks for clarifying, Ed.

I think the gorgeous Nord pups and playability of the necks put the SR Premium range right up with some of the very best of the basses out there.

For me the Nord growl and brightness of the Iby sound is more suited to a more modern genre and will be my goto bass for my pop and rock covers band, whereas my Sandberg TM has a warmer and more vintage tone (a fair bit from having older strings, I appreciate, but the Delano pups are also a lot smoother than the rocky growl of the Nords), that fits in better with 50s and 60s material, so I'm glad to have both.

As Tom from Wunjos said to me on an earlier visit: Ibanez put a heck of a lot into their basses for the money. I have to agree.

That's a challenge ! From memory (I'm sure I'll miss some !

Shuker Musikmesse 4
Shuker Jazz 5
Shuker singlecut 4
Overwater Progress 3 deluxe 3
Overwater Tanglewood Thing 3
Tanglewood Canyon 3 1
Warwick Corvette 3
Lodestone Primal Artist 4
Mensinger Cazpar x2 4.5
Zakrzewski Exclusive 5
Cort B4FL 3
ACG with crazy filters 2
Spector Euro 3
Spector Spectorcore 3
Spector Q3 3
Fender Jazz FSR 4
Yamaha Sinsonido 2
Hofner Shorty 1
Ibanez gio mikro (forgot about that one) 3
Epiphone viola (3)
Esp Ltd 3
Dean 2
Bass Collection SGC Nanyo 3
Italia Maranello 3
Fender acoustic 3
Ibanez acoustic 4 (another one !)
Sue Ryder x2 1
yamaha BB300 4
Danelectro longhorn 4
Ibanez ergodyne EDA900 3
Indie rick copy 2
Theres definitely some missing - the scary thing is I've probably had more guitars !!!

Edited by edstraker123

Wow that's a list!!! Thanks very much for taking the time to do that! I'm gonna enjoy having a careful and leisurely review of your list and ratings tomorrow and I suspect I won't be the only one!

And you can always update the list when your remember the ones you've left off!

No Sandbergs (or Rickenbackers) I see? :)

You're also a 6 string guitar player? Guitarist who picked up the bass (in classic fashion) or the other way around?

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1502835202' post='3353909']
That's a challenge ! From memory (I'm sure I'll miss some !

Shuker Musikmesse 4
Shuker Jazz 5
Shuker singlecut 4
Overwater Progress 3 deluxe 3
Overwater Tanglewood Thing 3
Tanglewood Canyon 3 1
Warwick Corvette 3
Lodestone Primal Artist 4
Mensinger Cazpar x2 4.5
Zakrzewski Exclusive 5
Cort B4FL 3
ACG with crazy filters 2
Spector Euro 3
Spector Spectorcore 3
Spector Q3 3
Fender Jazz FSR 4
Yamaha Sinsonido 2
Hofner Shorty 1
Ibanez gio mikro (forgot about that one) 3
Epiphone viola (3)
Esp Ltd 3
Dean 2
Bass Collection SGC Nanyo 3
Italia Maranello 3
Fender acoustic 3
Ibanez acoustic 4 (another one !)
Sue Ryder x2 1
yamaha BB300 4
Danelectro longhorn 4
Ibanez ergodyne EDA900 3
Indie rick copy 2
Theres definitely some missing - the scary thing is I've probably had more guitars !!!
[/quote]

haha - you're crazy!

Glad you like the new basses though and can't wait to have a go!

For me, with Ibby's it's mostly about the neck but those Nordy's are a huge plus too.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1502523424' post='3351945']
Look forward to hearing a bit more about how you are finding it in comparison to the P-Bass. I've never owned a P-Bass but been recently told that if I want a particular tone I'm hankering for, that the P is the only way to go!
[/quote]
Currently on holiday so the bass is quite a long way away... and I've not had too much time to play it because of getting ready for said holiday, but... it's about as far from a P-bass as you can get in terms of feel - neck is very slim front to back, it's 38mm at the nut though the spacing at the bridge is 19mm - just like your average Fender. The neck on the SR700 is bubinga and jatoba (not sure in what proportions) and feels smooth but is open pore(ish) compared to the satin finish that my P-bass had. Body is very small and contoured, less slab like, but I never had a problem with the P-bass feel.

With the neck pickup soloed and the treble rolled off and the bass boosted slightly you can get a definite P-bass type thump - the Bartolini MK1s are (as far as I can tell from the reading I've done) split coil pickups. But it still isn't 100% P-bass sounding, perhaps a bit too hi-def, a bit too shiny and modern. Having said that, the reason I got rid of my P-bass after multiple pickup swaps was because it didn't have the sound I want... So, I guess, if you want the P-bass sound, you're going to need a real P-bass at some point. The styles of music I play don't tend to call for a specific sound so I can get away with playingwhat I want. If I had to compare the SR700 to anything Fender, I'd say it leaned more towards scooped Jazz bass.

The SR700 was a bit of a "see it at a good price, go for it" choice, but I think it may stick around for a while at least. I would, in theory, like to have an SR750 with the P/J Nordstrands (though I believe they're licensed rather than real Nordys??), but I'm also not so keen on the wooden bodies of the higher end SR range - I like a poly finish, and actually prefer solid colours though the amber SR700 is very nice "in the flesh". I should do an NBD rather than hi-jack this one... but here's a couple of photos anyway :D

[attachment=251558:ibanez_sr700-1.jpg]
[attachment=251559:ibanez_sr700-2.jpg]

Thanks for sharing that and the pics and I hope you're enjoying the holiday!

It does sound like the Nordy pups seem to be a bit a revelation for those of us who have bought SR's with them: I'd definitely recommend you picking up a SR with the Nord pups at some point to hear the difference. And I should also finally get round to picking up a P-Bass!

I wouldn't worry too much about hi-jacking this thread of Woodinblack's...you're not the first and I'm sure won't be the last :) Particularly as it seems to be a thread that has encouraged a few of us who were thinking about getting an Ibby to actually do so...and Woodinblack is pleased to have "indirectly" caused something to be bought something from Wunjo's on Denmark Street having, like me, been out of the store many times without previously parting with any cash :)