Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

21 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Mine sounds nothing like that. Possibly a difference the EQ & whatever the backline is? Wonder if it might be a difference in the Aguilar pups on that vs the Nords on mine?

Or may even simply be down to the quality of the sound recording and playback via YouTube and the fact that our hearing is less attuned to the very lowest pitches?

I think the fact that your ears are telling you something different when playing it yourself is the better test.

I've just spent a couple of mins on my 1825 and compared 'like for like' i.e. the F# on the 7th fret of the low B string with the F# on the 2nd fret of the E string. The low B 7th fret had the meatier sound of the two. The only note on the low B string that didn't punch through quite as much was the open low B itself, which tbf I've never really noticed as it doesn't get used that much (I tend to find myself more using the C#, D and Eb for the very lowest notes).

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Given you've got an SR 1805 do you have a particular SR Premium in mind? Interested in your thinking about getting another one i.e. won't they be pretty much exactly the same? 

I love the sound & playability, so find myself picking up my Ibby’s more.

I’m very much hoping another will sound & play the same.

I like the various aesthetics too, so that would be a difference, plus I’ll have the option of taking out very similar back ups. 

I like the look of the poplar faced 1605 or perhaps the Aguilar equipped 2405 (not put off by the above vid) 

Edited by Wilco
  • Like 1

Took the 1805 to a new band rehearsal last night. Played it through just the BH550 & Super Compact. Got some very favourable comments about the sound. 

I said wait until you hear it through both cabs & the Magellan! 

Nice to get some positive sound feedback though.

I've been very tempted by the SR 1206 VNF on ebay at the minute. But then I realise I didn't really get on with the last 6 I owned, and this one would likely suit me even less as I'm a 19mm string spacing sort (18mm at a push!) so 16.5mm is just too tight... But it doesn't stop me wanting it! 

• 2 months later...

Hello Folks,

In the early eighties I was lucky enough to stumble across a an Ibanez Musician 924 active bass  (a laTOTP in the 80's, see below), which I still own (for now at least).

Forty years on, having tried a few other basses over the years, I'm feeling the urge to treat myself to a new toy. I've recently tried a couple of different Fenders, and they really haven't pushed my buttons at all. I've decided that I would like to buy another, modern Ibanez, becauase I just love the way they look.

I've perused spec and read reviews galore, and I've identified a model (one of what seems to be hundreds) that I really like the look of, and that is within my budget. The problem is, I can't find anywhere remotely local that has one in stock, so the only way I'm going to get to play it, is to order it !!

I would very much appreciate the opinion of you knowledgable chaps on my choice, the SR650E-ABS.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Wack

Ibanez001.JPG

44 minutes ago, Wack said:

I would very much appreciate the opinion of you knowledgable chaps on my choice, the SR650E-ABS.

Nice model. I played - not sure if it was that one or the one before, (in Pmt)  and it's all good, it is one of the standard range with the nords, so seems great value. I have the same pickups (well, the 5 string version) in my Maruszczyk and it's good.

the advantage with the Ibanezes are they are consistent so you can get them on line without the worry you are going to get a duff one

Never ever seem to see a SR1205 Ibby mentioned in the thread. Waiting on delivery. Everything seemed to check out. 16.5mm spacing, circuit and Nordy BS's the same as on my 30th anniversary SR4. Just wondering  ?

5 minutes ago, 2pods said:

Never ever seem to see a SR1205 Ibby mentioned in the thread. Waiting on delivery. Everything seemed to check out. 16.5mm spacing, circuit and Nordy BS's the same as on my 30th anniversary SR4. Just wondering  ?

Just wondering what? It will be fine, it is basically the same as all the 1x05s, but with a different top wood. I think there is a 1200 and a 1206 mentioned on this thread. Probably similar to my 1605 but a tiny bit heavier, they came out exactly the same year, the 1205 just lasted a bit longer (the 1605 had a very short run as it was a bit head heavy and had issues with the top wood).

Edited by Woodinblack

Ooops !

After having a 800, 1300pm, 1000 prestige, I'm now on the SR30 4 string, but I thought it was about time I tried a 5 string, so it should arrive this week. Looking forward to it.

Just that nobody seemed to have one.

18 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I should never post when I'm sleepy. This would be a 1305, not a 1205. Doh !

So, fairly similar to a 1605 or a 1705. 

18 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I also think my SR30th is just a 1204 with holes in 😁

1200 - there is never a 4. The 1x05 is a 5 string, the 1x06 is a 6 string, but for whatever reason, the 4 string is the 1x00!

Mad Ibanez numbering 😁

I do love it though. …...and, it's NBD for me as I collected the 1305 today too. Had a quick play. Nice sounds and feel. Though I will have to get used to it, as its my first 5 string.

10 minutes ago, 2pods said:

Mad Ibanez numbering 😁

I do love it though. …...and, it's NBD for me as I collected the 1305 today too. Had a quick play. Nice sounds and feel. Though I will have to get used to it, as its my first 5 string.

Congrats!! And welcome to the Ibby SR owners' club!

Please do post a pic or two! 

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh that guy again. I really can't tollerate watching him but notice that ibanez have reintroduced the 1605, but in a blue colour, which I am surprised at. Still my favourite bass after all these others.

Are you referring to the host? Or the player? 

I think the playing is rather tasteful.

Intros are getting a bit weird tho.

43 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Are you referring to the host? Or the player? 

Oh the playing was fine, the guy who hosted it I cant stand. I saw him in the EHB ibanez headless thread - sadly it is the video with the most information on the EHB, but given by him, so almost 60 seconds of actual info on the EHB is given in his 5 minute video.

43 minutes ago, GisserD said:

I think the playing is rather tasteful.

Yes, his playing is good. I watched it with captions on, pressing the unmute when the guy started playing.

Hah! You and I differ on this (for once!) - I really like the guy who's hosting the thread: he's zany and fun and makes his videos entertaining, which is actually quite a talent, with a fair bit of useful information thrown in; although a couple of important bits that should be flagged e.g. the 16.5mm string spacing was omitted.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hah! You and I differ on this (for once!) - I really like the guy who's hosting the thread: he's zany and fun and makes his videos entertaining, which is actually quite a talent, with a fair bit of useful information thrown in; although a couple of important bits that should be flagged e.g. the 16.5mm string spacing was omitted.

Zany and fun would be quite a talent. I have yet to see anyone pull that off. I will take your word that he has talent. Maybe I haven't watched enough of those 'britains got talent' things to know what talent is :D

I have no idea what information he is trying to impart - I can't get past his idea of fun, certainly not entertaining, I really can't stand him.

I can't remember any reviews of something where they mention the string spacing?

Edited by Woodinblack

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

And in a second language!

I'm always impressed by these videos :)

• Like 1