Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

Probably easier to find a cheap fretless I would think

Don't get me wrong, the barts are fine in the standard range. Just the nords are in a league of their own. Note that the prestiges have barts too, and the ones in the 5005 I like very much

Edited by Woodinblack

• 1 month later...
On 08/04/2018 at 04:57, Al Krow said:

I didn't know that Ibbys did their SR range in P/J config - I'm guessing that this has been discontinued for a while now i.e. do you know when the ceased production of the SR1000?

the first year SR1000 had a different SDGR logo on the headstock. it had 1000 in very small font

1987 SR1000CT1/SR1000E - alder body, ebony fretboard, IBZ/USA C2 P/J, power curve system, made in japan

1987-1992 SR1000/SR1000E - ash body, ebony fretboard, IBZ/USA C2 P/J, power curve system, made in japan

1990-1991 SR1000 - ash body, ebony fretboard, EMG-P/J, EQ BII, made in japan

1991-1992 SR1000S - ash body, ebony fretboard, EMG HG-P/J, EQ BII, made in japan

these models had 5 pc bolt on bubinga/wenge necks

1994-1998 SR1000 - mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, IBZ AFR-P/J, Vari-Mid 3-Band, made in japan

the following models are 5pc maple/bubinga neck through

2005 SR1000EZW - zebrawood/mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, USA Bartolini custom, Vari-Mid III HQ 3-Band, made in korea

2005-2008 SR1000EFM - flame maple/mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, USA Bartolini custom, Vari-Mid III HQ 3-Band, made in korea

2005-2007 SR1000EWN - walnut/mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, USA Bartolini custom, Vari-Mid III HQ 3-Band, made in korea

2006 SR1000EBG - flame maple/bubinga/mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, USA Bartolini custom, Vari-Mid III HQ 3-Band, made in korea

Edited by hypercarrots
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

You fixed the missing string on the middle one!

Yes indeed :)

Started playing 5ers and really enjoyed doing a full 2 hour set a couple of weeks back on my Yammy BB1025 and kinda thought I'd really like having a low B on my goto Ibby SR1800, so I picked up the phone and called Tom (manager) at Wunjos whom I want to give a BIG shout out to. I bought my current Ibanez SR1800 new off him 14 months back when he chipped the price to reflect it being a tiny bit shop soiled (one of the early posts in this thread, so I guess I've got Woody to blame for my current love affair with Ibby basses!)

The new prices for the SR1800s have since fallen since they first came out and the 2018 SR1820s are around £899 new - I think that's partly due to a change in the woods being used. Tom did me a really good deal on the part-ex: he agreed to match the best online price available for a new SR1825 and offered me £750 for my old SR1800 in part-ex, which means that he will at best break even when he sells my old Ibby on. 

....oh and a bit of an end of an era for me. Apart from my EUB, that's the last of my 4 strings out the door (although I guess I could pretend that the Schecter 8 string in my stable is actually a 4 string, certainly on upstrokes).

First impressions of the SR 1825

Just back from a 3.5 hour band rehearsal running through a couple of hours material ahead of a gig on Saturday night. The Ibby 5er is very much my Ibby 4 with a low B added! Same great Nord pups, 3 band EQ with variable mid selector, slightly wider but still very playable neck. The low B string sounded great with some meaty low Ds and Cs being added into the mix. Very pleased, as I fully expected I would be.

6 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I see it! I see it! The one in the middle is now broken. So now it’s just like the others😕..

Looks like I'll be playing broken basses from now on in then! 😂

50 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

First impressions of the SR 1825

Just back from a 3.5 hour band rehearsal running through a couple of hours material ahead of a gig on Saturday night. The Ibby 5er is very much my Ibby 4 with a low B added! Same great Nord pups, 3 band EQ with variable mid selector, slightly wider but still very playable neck. The low B string sounded great with some meaty low Ds and Cs being added into the mix. Very pleased, as I fully expected I would be.

Looks like I'll be playing broken basses from now on in then! 😂

Yep, pretty well the same as my 1605 with a bit more weight added to the body so it isn't head heavy. Not that much like the 5005, that is a lot heavier, and has a few more knobs. And a hole - I replaced the woeful 3v preamp with no treble with a glokenklang. That means that I only have Bass, mid, treble, ie, missing out a mid freq (but I left the pot there so I didn't have a hole), and the glok has a pull switch for passive, so the switch wasn't needed. So that is a hole.

I have been thinking though that the SR1705 is the modern equivalent of the 1605, but glossy instead of matt. And every so often I think about changing to that.

But then when I do I realise that the SR2605 is obvious the real equivalent of the 1605 (only one number different). And it doesn't pay for me to dwell there too long!

Then I remember that after all these basses, and all these changes, the 1605 is still the one I would grab when running out of the house when it was on fire (you know, assuming I had got everything living out of it first!).

These have a lot of similarities to SGC Nanyo’s. Ok, the headstock is different but the body shape looks the same shape. The jack socket area is reprofiled, but at the same location & angle.

I’ve always wondered what the historic connection is between these two ranges? Is there one? T’interweb not really offering up much info about a connection, unless i’ve missed something. Anyone know? 

IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.ddaab2fb4a61281aaf1fe43bf07ba0eb.JPG

Edited by Wilco

24 minutes ago, Wilco said:

These have a lot of similarities to SGC Nanyo’s. Ok, the headstock is different but the body shape looks the same shape. The jack socket area is reprofiled, but at the same location & angle.

I’ve always wondered what the historic connection is between these two ranges? Is there one? T’interweb not really offering up much info about a connection, unless i’ve missed something. Anyone know? 

A good question!  I'm guessing that @Happy Jack or @TheGreek will have the answer to that! :)

Not sure if there is more than a passing similarity with those. The top horn isn't as rouned underneath or as long, the bottom horn is very different (not keen on that). Control layouts different, pickup placement more musicman than ibanez and the string spacing looks quite wide.

The only real similarity I see is the curve in the neck joint.

I've always thought that there is a generic, "family" resemblance between a number of bass marques that were around in the early 80s, close enough that I always felt that there was a lot of borrowing going on.

I agree that there's a long list of detailed differences between the Bass Collection and the SR range, yet the overall look & feel is remarkably similar. There was also a range by (I think) Yamaha at the same time, plus of course the early Tune basses, and I'm sure there were others I haven't mentioned.

My guess would be that someone came up with an overall design that worked really well and which wasn't yet another Fender clone, and a bunch of manufacturers fell into line behind it.

All these basses were (I believe) lighter than their Fender equivalents, the bar being set lower by Fender's back-crushing output in the late 70s. I wonder if this has anything to do with the pro-Fender (and others) propaganda that then started to emerge about how heavier basses always and automatically sounded better than lighter basses. 9_9

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As my sparkly Talman electrics inexplicably died  after 30 minutes of use, I took it back to store with the idea of exchanging it for an Orange 'O' - the O presumably stands for 'Orrible' so after 2 minutes I knew it wasn't for me . I looked for something in the same price range and saw an SR400EQM  - as soon as I picked it up I was hooked . Amazing bass- I don't know how they do it for the money (£300). It now has a set of halfrounds on it and after a quarter turn on the truss rod is set up like an absolute dream.Obviously the pickups aren't in the same league as the Nordstrands on the SR premiums but with the 3 band eq  and the power tap switch it has an amazing array of sounds and looks truly gorgeous.

bass-guitars-ibanez-sr400-eqm-deb-quilt-top-1_2048x.thumb.JPG.0bdd72ae1fe2aa79aa8b8c5d96a6189b.JPG

DEB.jpg.45885cc8bf9716bb83897d6e575be460.jpg

Edited by edstraker123
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Oh, that’s lovely. One might even be able to overlook its broken state, having five strings an’ all..

Haha!

I'm afraid all my basses these days are "broken", apart from a 4 string that is strictly an 8 string and another that is an EUB 😂

There was an "unbroken" one of these limited edition basses released as well: the SR 1400T

Edited by Al Krow

I so wish I found Ibanez basses more comfortable, as I love most things about them (looks, sounds, neck, weight, versatility). Unfortunately something about the body shape really doesn't agree with the nerve issues in my right arm. Although as I'd otherwise be buying a different one every few months, maybe it's God's way of keeping me out of debt. ;-)

Guest Marcoelwray
10 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I so wish I found Ibanez basses more comfortable, as I love most things about them (looks, sounds, neck, weight, versatility). Unfortunately something about the body shape really doesn't agree with the nerve issues in my right arm. Although as I'd otherwise be buying a different one every few months, maybe it's God's way of keeping me out of debt. 😉

OF course if you've got a nerve issue, that's another problem but the range is quite OK... SR, BTB, ATK.... None of these is confy for you?