Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

My gigging money had gone back up again and was looking at some of the nice custom basses on here, getting quite tempted by a few of them. I thought that some of those I would quite like, although not like if I could get a SR5005 - then a thought hit me and looked on ebay there was one cheapish.

As it was near london, took a trip up to london and called in on the way back. Checked it out, all good and here it is!

P1110730.jpg&key=ca24c05a00e9b76bb21a1a2d30f035ef01684e51a3ba7cefb37ca4f248f7170f

Took it to a little charity gig this afternoon and it sounds great.

Only thing that was a little puzzling is that the last 2 knobs at the bottom (treble and mid frequency?) don't do anything at all as far as I can tell and the volume difference between the pickups is quite a bit.

Its one of the ones with 2 1.5v batteries. The guy said he hadn't changed them in 3.5 years, so I thought it was about time I did!

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 3

She's a beaut. Didn't realise these had 4-band EQs though. Odd about the knobs too. Since the treble and high mid knobs don't do anything, what's the "stock sound" you've got? As in, does it seem like those bands are flat or boosted/cut?

Yes, they did back a few years ago, they changed at some point to the 3 band and switched middle frequency like the premium ones, but this is a few years before that - 2012 .
I think it is treble and mid freq that don't seem to do anything, compared to how they work on my older prestige where it is almost like a wahwah knob. the treble sounds like it is completely flat, so its not really a problem (and honestly I rarely use the EQ on any of the basses.

I was actually surprised they did a 2 AA battery pre-amp as the design of that is much harder than a 9v

I was surprised as the barts in the other SRs can sound a little too polite, but these are far from it, they actually sound quite a lot like the big singles, the bridge one specifically has a really single growl sound to it, while the neck one is deep and rich.

The other really noticeable thing, although this might be specifically related to the 1605 as that is known for being very light, the 5005 is much heavier, probably all that wenge. Not unpleasant, but very solid feeling.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1500768164' post='3340113']
[b]The sound is different[/b]. And the bass itself is different although it is hard to pin down what it is that is different.
[/quote]

Right that's it - I've been pursuaded - I'm getting one!

It does look good - and well done for spotting a second hand bass in such good condition.

I've been seriously thinking about getting either the SR1300 or 1800 (which seem identical to me other than choice of woods) - you may have seen in the items wanted section, as I've heard really good things about the [i]playability[/i] of the Ibbys.

Hadn't really considered the SR Prestige series until I read this post, but definitely think I should be including in the options! The Nordstrands for me in Premiums were actually a positive development but these custom Barts from the OPs comments seem to be equally good? Other than the difference in the PUPs what "extra" does the Prestige 5000 provide over the Premium 1300 or 1800?

Edited by Al Krow

"I've been seriously thinking about getting either the SR1300"

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and cannot put it down. It really is a lovely bass - those Nordy big singles are awesome and I just love Ibanez ultra skinny necks. I couldn't recommend one highly enough - but I've not played the Prestige - and am gassing for one too!

The norstands in the Premiers were a huge step forward I think over the normal barts in the 505 onwards, they cut through everything and meant that the 1605 was my #1 bass. I got a Maruszczyk which was custom made to have an ibanez dimensioned neck which I on and off switch between being my main bass.

However having gone through the 1000 - 505 - 705 - 805 - I always had a hankering for the newer 5 string prestige (the 1000 is a prestige too, but from a decade back).
I find thought the playability is similar in all of them, the big singles cut through much better playing live. I love playing the 805 with the fan frets, but don't play it live much because I can't really get 'my sound' on it (although I played it today).

If you look at the specs now, the current premiers appear to have everything the current prestige has, apart from mother of pearl, wenge and being made in Japan - its the only one made in Japan now.

Maybe the differences are just like the difference between the US fenders and Mexican fenders. It does feel different, other than the weight, hard to tell how much psychology has to do with it. But I will find out in the coming weeks.

"I've been seriously thinking about getting either the SR1300"
I bought one of these a few weeks ago and cannot put it down. It really is a lovely bass - those Nordy big singles are awesome and I just love Ibanez ultra skinny necks. I couldn't recommend one highly enough - but I've not played the Prestige - and am gassing for one too!

Edited by Al Krow

Wunjos has a 5006 in currently - I was there on Friday. And an SR5 which was rather nice :)

And no, you wouldn't go wrong with any of the premiers, I am certainly not going to get rid of mine any time soon!

Edited by Woodinblack

A very nice acquisition! I've come to the conclusion that it is very difficult to go wrong with any SR fiver (indeed, I recently bought a Premium), but the Prestige line is really, really great.

Popped into Wunjos Bass on Denmark St to check out the Ibbys today, as I had a meeting in town.

I did really like the sound of the Nordstrand PUPs and the playability of the instrument.

Some very minor shop dings on the back of the SR1800 – so Tom, the manager, agreed to knock £159 off the display price which, together with a hard case and two year unlimited free servicing, I think we both left happy with!

Delighted to have finally bought something from these guys, having been in an out of the store empty handed for the past 4 years!

Just spent a bit of time playing through my Mesa M6. Love the Nord PUPs and the feel of the bass. For me it's always a bit of a relief when what you think you heard in the store, surrounded by other bassists also trying out gear, is still there with nothing else going on around you and you're left wearing [i]that[/i] big grin. I think I'm about to join the Ibby keepers' club...:)

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1500905478' post='3340968']
Some very minor shop dings on the back of the SR1800 – so Tom, the manager, agreed to knock £159 off the display price which, together with a hard case and two year unlimited free servicing, I think we both left happy with!

Delighted to have finally bought something from these guys, having been in an out of the store empty handed for the past 4 years!
[/quote]

Glad you did too - as I have been empty handed (apart from strings on friday) so I can feel I contributed!
Enjoy it - they are great basses.

But I hope you didn't both leave happy, he has to stay there and sell stuff!

Tried out the Ibby with its Nord PUPs at full band rehearsal last night. Had it set up in fully passive mode and loved the gorgeous tone and growl of the bass through my transparent MarkBass amp.

My Sandberg TM4 is now in very serious danger of becoming my reserve bass, which is saying quite a lot as it's a wonderful instrument too, and I wasn't expecting that!

• 2 weeks later...