Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I get that, I have bought loads of fancy basses, but ultimately the ones that get played are the SRs. Just get any of the premier SRs in whatever woods you like and you will find they are pretty similar.

Speaking of wood, mine was in "hard rock maple" and I do not find a lot of SR in this wood, even in the early 2000....

• 2 months later...

Well yet another fine Ibby mess that I have to lay at @Woodinblack's door!

Probably the most seamless one in one out I'm ever likely to do - this rather lovely 6 string left on Sunday night to wind it's way up north to a new home and a chance to welcome @Nouse_ to this Ibby fanboy thread as a fully paid up member! :) 

Ibanez SR1206 I.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

...To be replaced the very next day with the last one of these available in Europe (well according the Ibby rep.), following Ibby ceasing production of these earlier this year. I had the good fortune to source from a German online store at an end of line price.

Wasn't sure I was going to like the colour, but has turned out to be very lovely 'in the wood'. And whilst I'm not usually drawn to some of the 'sparklier' elements on basses, the abalone fret inlays are a really nice touch. Excited about the new material that this will hopefully help me to access on bass, assisted by it's relatively uniform and half way to a bass VI string 14mm spacing.

GVB IV.jpg

GVB II.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

I loved the colour of the GVB, especially in the sun where it just glows. I loved the string spacing at the bridge too, which is perfect. It is just the string spacing at the nut which is just way too big, I needed it to taper and it didn't.

Still a good bass though, even if you have a life time of turning the wrong knob for treble, or forgetting which one is the pull pot!

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Did you consider getting a different nut made up with narrower spacing to provide you with the desired taper? 

Not really as the neck would be too wide and it would be a faff, compared to just having something designed that way

20 minutes ago, GisserD said:

...but the outside strings wouldn't be parallel to the edges of the fingerboard?

Yeh, it would be a nasty hack.

Its what caused me to make my own bass, which has 15mm spacing but narrower at the nut. TBH, I need to take that apart, improve the neck, shave a bit more off the body and I would probably have what I wanted.

• 1 month later...

I’ve got to say, I am loving my two SR Premiums bought this year.

Great dimensions, weight, playability, looks & awesome range of quality sounds.

Seriously thinking of getting a third, but that would mean a Maruszczyk out of the door to pay for it.

Decisions, decisions.........

6 minutes ago, Wilco said:

I’ve got to say, I am loving my two SR Premiums bought this year.

Great dimensions, weight, playability, looks & awesome range of quality sounds.

Seriously thinking of getting a third, but that would mean a Maruszczyk out of the door to pay for it.

Decisions, decisions.........

After a LOT of churning over the past couple of years (12 basses in and 9 out), I've got a set of basses that I'm now really very happy with. Which is a relief! 

However, the brand that I have the most basses of is...Ibanez.

Which Ibby have you got your eye on?

9 minutes ago, GisserD said:

i love the look of the ibbys but there string spacing is way to tight for me! 

anything with 19mm at the bridge?

This comes close at 18mm rather than the usual 16.5mm if you're after a 5 string:

(The 4 string Ibbys are already 19mm spacing).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Which Ibby have you got your eye on?

Nothing particular yet Bas. Defo a Premium, could be a 4 or a 5. Pref with the Nord Big Single pups, but interested in the new Aguilar’s.

Might be a case of offloading a Maruszczyk first, having the cash ready, & then keeping an eye out in the used market. Still pondering.....

25 minutes ago, GisserD said:

i love the look of the ibbys but there string spacing is way to tight for me! 

I got my 1805 but was concerned about the same thing. That has 16.5mm spacing vs 19mm on all my other basses.

It was so good though, I have persevered with it & now got used to the different spacing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wilco said:

I got my 1805 but was concerned about the same thing. That has 16.5mm spacing vs 19mm on all my other basses.

It was so good though, I have persevered with it & now got used to the different spacing.

i went down that road once. couldnt get on with it at all. 

had sto send my Jake 5 back :(

just been listeneng to some ibby sr2405 5 demos and the B string i really think would be an issue for me. they sound flabby. nothing like the rest of the strings. 

I upgraded from an SR500 last year to an SR1200 Vintage Natural Flat with the Big Single pickups. I don't know why, but I expected the SR1200 to be a lightweight bass like the SR500. Instead, it's about one kg heavier, which was a disappointment. It's actually about an average weight.

Loving the sound of the SR1200 but I'd just like to know if I can get the same sound from a lighter bass. Are there any lightweight Premiums?

4 hours ago, stevie said:

Loving the sound of the SR1200 but I'd just like to know if I can get the same sound from a lighter bass. Are there any lightweight Premiums?

Yep, my number one bass is still my 1605, which is so light I had to change the machineheads to hipshots because it was a bit neck heavy. The 2605 is a bit heavier (probably normal SR weight, same as the SR505), and the prestige 505 is about the weight of a small sun.

it would be the 1600, but they only did it for a very short period of time and then withdrew it, I think probably because it was a bit head heavy (or body light). Or maybe because it was a limited edition.

It would look like this:

https://reverb.com/item/3462485-ibanez-sr1600-2013-poplar-burl-limited

which is a bit like if the 1700 wasn't varnished. Maybe that is light too.

My SRs seem to go in weight based on how much wenge they have on them, vs how much poplar, so by the time you get full wenge, stuff gets heavy.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 1600 or 1700 then. They both look knockout.

I fitted Gotoh Resolite tuners to the 1200 to try to lighten it a bit but I didn't actually notice any difference in practice - which I found a bit strange.

Edited by stevie

On 01/11/2019 at 10:53, GisserD said:

just been listeneng to some ibby sr2405 5 demos and the B string i really think would be an issue for me. they sound flabby. nothing like the rest of the strings. 

Not my experience regarding the B string on my 1805. It feels ‘right’ & sounds focused. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GisserD said:

It was this demo that highlighted it. 1.40 ish.

He isn't playing hard, but the B string just doesn't have the piano like tone of the rest of the strings.

To be fair you’re right, that does not sound too good. Especially the note played at 11 seconds in.

Sounds a very nasal, high mid, back pick up tone set up to me, which doesn’t help the B.

Mine sounds nothing like that. Possibly a difference the EQ & whatever the backline is? Wonder if it might be a difference in the Aguilar pups on that vs the Nords on mine?

14 hours ago, Wilco said:

Bitten the bullet - Maruszczyk now in the for sale section, with a single trade option for an SR Premium....

My three Ibbys are all quite different 'flavours' - SR 1825, Portamento and a GVB36. Given you've got an SR 1805 do you have a particular SR Premium in mind? Interested in your thinking about getting another one i.e. won't they be pretty much exactly the same?