Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Swapping the Nordstrand pups out on the SR Premium range would be an expensive and totally retrograde step in my opinion. YMMV etc.!😎 

On the premiums, yes, but not on the SRMS, which are the old barts. Or even on one of the other range.

• 2 weeks later...

This rather lovely Shuker bass in the FS...

image.png.34def5348fa7840b93af60c0cb67e6ea.png

... reminded me not a little of the Ibanez SRSC805:

image.png.24ee4cc6ca4817402864559d5d0a0495.png

The Shuker has the Nord big singles which I know several of us love whereas the Ibby has the Bart Mk1s (which an equal number are not as big a fan of).

It also has a rather classy John East Uni pre with para mids.

Hmmm...wonder if I could get Wunjos to 'custom order' one with Nords and fit the John East and end up with a 'Shuker lite' Ibby single cut?! 

Is that something that sounds tasty to anyone else besides me? :) 

Edited by Al Krow

Congratulations. The 1805s are really nice. I had a 1800. I actually prefer the less varnished look they have compared to the newer 1825 which I traded my 1800 in for. 

Either way, the light weight, fast necks, 3 band EQ with variable mids and those lush big single Nords make for a fabulous bass. I'm sure you will love it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Very nice. I have finally had a chance to play my 2605 out live, I hadn't got round to getting it insured, but now I have and I played it at 3 of my 4 gigs this weekend and it is great, really love it.

I’ve taken my 2600 to two gigs so far & it was superb at both. The band love it too!!

2 hours ago, Wilco said:

I’ve taken my 2600 to two gigs so far & it was superb at both. The band love it too!!

It was a busy weekend so it was just 2 days!

the guitarist said that it and my 1605 sound the best, which makes sense, there is only one number different!

How do you find single coil hum on your 1605? For some reason I assumed Big Singles were an in-line humbucker, but they appear to be a fat but regular single coil, and disappointingly have a quite a bit of hum. I wonder why Ibanez didn’t go with Big Splits, seeing as what little information I can find about them seems to indicate they sound very similar?

In other news, I’m eyeing Bass Direct’s SR5005 - amazing wengé grain in the body, but it looks like the original model with the 3v circuit (no mid switch), which was distinctly underwhelming on the first edition SR5006 I had a few years ago...

4 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

How do you find single coil hum on your 1605? For some reason I assumed Big Singles were an in-line humbucker, but they appear to be a fat but regular single coil, and disappointingly have a quite a bit of hum.

I think that given the name it shouldn't have been a huge surprise!

I don't get any hum at all unless I am near a big noise source, ie, wander too close to my CTM-100 when gigging or too near the telly at home. The rest of the time I would say they are virtually silent.

I wonder why Ibanez didn’t go with Big Splits, seeing as what little information I can find about them seems to indicate they sound very similar?

They sound similar but not the same. I have a big split and it is different, I love the big singles on the premiums.

In other news, I’m eyeing Bass Direct’s SR5005 - amazing wengé grain in the body, but it looks like the original model with the 3v circuit (no mid switch), which was distinctly underwhelming on the first edition SR5006 I had a few years ago...

I love my SR5005, night and day with the 1605, especially weight wise, also vast difference between the two pickups compared to the premiums. Mine was the 3v circuit, bass mid, treble, mid freq initially but the treble had completely stopped working and I had a spare 3 band glokenklang preamp around, so I took the old one out and put the glok in there. Its pretty good apart from it needing one less switch and one less knob (I left the other knob in anyway).

When it comes down to it, my 1605 is still my #1 bass, and although the 2605 is fighing for that position, the 1605 has the advantage that I am not scared of scratching it!

18 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I love my SR5005, night and day with the 1605, especially weight wise, also vast difference between the two pickups compared to the premiums. Mine was the 3v circuit, bass mid, treble, mid freq initially but the treble had completely stopped working and I had a spare 3 band glokenklang preamp around, so I took the old one out and put the glok in there. Its pretty good apart from it needing one less switch and one less knob (I left the other knob in anyway).

What do you see to be the differences between the 1605 and 5005 (other than the obvious - singles vs humbuckers)? My 1605 has a Darkglass pre that has no treble control but TBH the bass sounds so good completely flat I’ve not needed to use it (and it has huge boost so only a tiny bit is needed to make a big difference). What’s the weight difference, if you have weighed them?

TBH, I virtually never use a tone control, unless I am backing the treble off (which is why i had to change the pre on the 5005). The main difference is the sound and the feel.

Due to the big weight difference, the feel is quite different.. do you know I have never weighed them, I will go and do that now.. ok, 1605 - 8.2lb, 5005 - 10.4lb. Quite a difference for a bit of wenge. also the neck feels different, I am not sure why but it feels somehow more solid, but this might be the weight thing. The wenge is really very attractive on the neck. 

The sound is very different - yes obviously the singles make a difference but on the 1605, going from the front to back changes the sound to a bit more trebly and thins it out a bit, subtle difference, but worth having. On the 5005 full pickup front and back sound like a completely different bass. I thought it was broken originally, but no, that is the way it is - the front is deep and full, the back is nasally and trebly and about half the volume, you have to go about 2/3 of the way back to balance them.

I am glad I have them both, although at the end of a 3 hour gig I know which one feels better to have used :D

Beyond that, as basses, they have more in common then they have differences.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

What are you guys using for wood protection/finishing products on these? I’ve read various things on t’interwebs but still not sure.

I’m thinking on the non-gloss rosewood/mahogany body on the 1805, the Panga Panga fretboard on the 2600 & the laminated necks on both. 

From what i’ve read, Lemon Oil is only good for rosewood fretboards, so other oils or wax? Possibly just a plain old dry microfibre cloth?

Guest Marcoelwray

Lemon oil, teak oil, any good vegetal oil after cleaning. The oil penetrates the fibers of the wood and when drying protects the wood against water, beer, anything... 

To finish nicely you can use a bee wax, it'll give a smooth finish.

I assume that we are speaking of open pore wood, not varnished...

2 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

@Woodinblack could you please check what's the string spacing at the bridge on the 5005? I have the 5006 with 16.5mm spacing and am curious if it is the same on the 5 string version and the official spec doesn't mention it. Thanks!

Yep, 16.5mm as nature intended, same as (almost all) the other 5 string SRs.

• 2 months later...
Guest Marcoelwray

Hello I think it's a good place to ask.

I'm interested in a SR but I'd like to know if there's any differences between the SR1305 and SR1825 and SR2605 except for the woods?

They're all in the same price range (1305 is a bit cheaper), but if I'm not mistaken (at least for the 1305 and 1825) pickups and preamps are the same.... , Frets , neck profile, bridge, tuners.... Same too?

Thanks

Yup my understanding also is that difference is just in the woods across the SR Premium range. 

Pups, EQ etc are otherwise the same. 

I've got the 1825, but I actually prefer the less glossly finish of my previous 4 string 1800, and with hindsight the discontinued 1805 would have suited me down to the ground! 

Some of the 1400 / 1405 series were neck through, which set them apart from the rest of SR Premium range. If / when the next neck through SR Premium comes along, I'll be tempted to trade in my 1825 for it, but that may be a while! 

FWIW, the Premiums are my favourite of the three Ibby SR ranges - due entirely to the Nord big single pups, which have a delicious growl. So I'd positively choose a Premium over a Prestige and being half the price doesn't hurt either! 

Edited by Al Krow

Guest Marcoelwray
10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup my understanding also is that difference is just in the woods across the SR Premium range. 

Pups, EQ etc are otherwise the same. 

I've got the 1825, but I actually prefer the less glossly finish of my previous 4 string 1800, and with hindsight the discontinued 1805 would have suited me down to the ground! 

Some of the 1400 / 1405 series were neck through, which set them apart from the rest of SR Premium range. If / when the next neck through SR Premium comes along, I'll be tempted to trade in my 1825 for it, but that may be a while! 

FWIW, the Premiums are my favourite of the three Ibby SR ranges - due entirely to the Nord big single pups, which have a delicious growl. So I'd positively choose a Premium over a Prestige and being half the price doesn't hurt either! 

Thanks. I don't really like the half glossy weird look on the 1825, but I really like the 1305 design.

Funny that the 2605 has a number looking more premium (isn't the 11 ply atlas?) And so few different specs besides the 1305.

The 2605 is sort of like a different range in a way, along with the 2405, sort of like the newer ones. However there isn't much difference apart from the neck, and it plays similar to the 1605 that it sort of shares the base wood with. Other than it is heavier (but nothing like the 5005)

Guest Marcoelwray

I'm asking because after trying a thousand basses (sort of speak), I miss my old SR405 from 1999. I played 19 years on it, I learned almost all techniques on it, I'm so used to 16.5 string spacing.. I think, finally, that a "simple" (I mean not a fancy custom Fodera or Warwick etc) SR is a really good answer to my 5 string needs.