Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

Just now, Al Krow said:

So if you get a new Ibanez gig bag and want to trade a hard case, please give me a shout! :)

I'm a fan of those semi-hard cases. Light, but better protection than a gig bag. (Unless we're talking about $$$$$$$ gig bags with 40mm padding. LOL) If you're interested in selling any of them, give me a holler via PM.

28 minutes ago, clivem said:

I'm a fan of those semi-hard cases. Light, but better protection than a gig bag. (Unless we're talking about $$$$$$$ gig bags with 40mm padding. LOL) If you're interested in selling any of them, give me a holler via PM.

Hey Clive, I'd only really be looking to trade for a quality new Ibby gig bag rather than sell outright, but someone else on this thread may be interested in selling you one. But if you treat yourself to one of those fancy new Ibbys, then give me a shout. 

How many of the semi-hard cases do you already have? 

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Finally an SR with a manly string spacing!!! 

Exactly what I was thinking... 

I was interested until I saw how ham-fisted the matching up of the body and neck were. I'll reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh, but in that picture looks awful if you look at how the center block of the body transitions into the neck... 

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hey Clive, I'd only really be looking to trade for a quality new Ibby gig bag rather than sell outright, but someone else on this thread may be interested in selling you one. But if you treat yourself to one of those fancy new Ibbys, then give me a shout. 

How many of the semi-hard cases do you already have? 

Don't ask questions like that! LOL I have 3 of the SR Premium cases. Don't have any Premium Ibby SR's anymore. A bunch of mid-range that live in hard/soft cases, the Ibby case when I can pick'em up, otherwise those cheap (£40 quid, I think) Armourdillo branded jobbies that you can get from Amazon or direct from Dawsons.

That brings me onto something you might find interesting. If you get a chance, (maybe the next time you go to Wunjos),  have a noodle on the latest generation SR500. Since they changed the neck (for CITES reasons) from Jatoba/Bubinga with Rosewood board, to Jatoba/Walnut with Jatoba board, it's much more snappy sounding with the licensed Barts. There's a clarity there now, which kind of overcomes the Barts tendency to muddy/cloud. It sounds more "cutting" like the the Nordy equipped Premiums.

Edited by clivem

16 hours ago, clivem said:

...have a noodle on the latest generation SR500. Since they changed the neck (for CITES reasons) from Jatoba/Bubinga with Rosewood board, to Jatoba/Walnut with Jatoba board, it's much more snappy sounding with the licensed Barts. There's a clarity there now, which kind of overcomes the Barts tendency to muddy/cloud. It sounds more "cutting" like the the Nordy equipped Premiums.

Sounds good and I will try to remember to do that. Although given that I already have a Nordy equipped Premium...

As an aside - the bass tone I'm loving the most right now is the Yamaha BBNE2. On neck pup it seems to combine the best of my two next favourite basses (Ibby SR 1825 and Yamaha BB1025). Wunjos stock these also, so next time you're popping over...btw they also come with a really nice hard case so should be right up your street! 

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

As an aside - the bass tone I'm loving the most right now is the Yamaha BBNE2. On neck pup it seems to combine the best of my two next favourite basses (Ibby SR 1825 and Yamaha BB1025). Wunjos stock these also, so next time you're popping over...btw they also come with a really nice hard case so should be right up your street! 

I just looked. They look nice but are certainly not cheap are they!

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I just looked. They look nice but are certainly not cheap are they!

Agreed. Definitely one to pick up second hand in vgc if you can (I was fortunate in being able to do so). And both Wunjos and the Yammy store will let you negotiate them down on price, particularly if they have a display model. 

I've yet to find a better bass in terms of what I'm looking for.

27 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I’ll just drop this here....

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/anb205_1p_01.html

18mm spacing me thinks...... £1800

Interestingly (and relatively uniquely in the Ibby Premium / Prestige range) it's purely active - I guess being a signature model. That's a backward step IMO; it's always good to have the option of both.

The pups and EQ (a touch) differ from the normal Ibbys. Gonna be a marmite member of their range methinks.

And the price is eye watering for an Ibby.

Edited by Al Krow

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interestingly (and relatively uniquely in the Ibby Premium / Prestige range) it's purely active - I guess being a signature model. That's a backward step IMO; it's always good to have the option of both.

The pups and EQ (a touch) differ from the normal Ibbys. Gonna be a marmite member of their range methinks.

Lots of people won’t mind the active only (I for instance own several active only basses as well as pure passives). Love the 18mm and I have Barts in most basses. It might persuade me to take on an SR this one....and price.... ah well, still a better deal than the average Fender and since I buy in Euro it should be a better forex.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed. Definitely one to pick up second hand in vgc if you can (I was fortunate in being able to do so). And both Wunjos and the Yammy store will let you negotiate them down on price, particularly if they have a display model. 

Well, I am not familiar with the Yamahas, so while I am sure they are lovely instruments, there isn't that much likelyhood that unless I found one really cheap and played it and fell in love with it it is going to happen.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Not that unusual in the signature models, I suspect that not that many people are that worried about that, I'm certainly not, I have never used any of my ibanezes passive - actually thinking about it, active / passive switching is a relatively new thing, my SR1000 prestige from 2005 doesn't have passive.

The GVB36 didn't have it either.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The signature models are all different, the GVB36 was backwards, which caught me out a few times, treble closest to the volume. And for an Adam Nitti bass, its a bit of a bargain!

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Ibanez-ANB-1006-Adam-Nitti-Transparent-Blue/art-BAS0007789-000

47 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Lots of people won’t mind the active only (I for instance own several active only basses as well as pure passives). Love the 18mm and I have Barts in most basses. It might persuade me to take on an SR this one....and price.... ah well, still a better deal than the average Fender and since I buy in Euro it should be a better forex.

I've had nothing but +ve experience from the Ibby SR Premium range so far (even to the extent that I had one of my bands' guitarists pleading with me to use the Ibby instead of my Sandberg!). So if this is the Ibby SR with your name on it (well ok it's technically got someone else's name on it), then go for it :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've had nothing but +ve experience from the Ibby SR Premium range so far (even to the extent that I had one of my bands' guitarists pleading with me to use the Ibby instead of my Sandberg!). So if this is the Ibby SR with your name on it (well ok it's technically got someone else's name on it), then go for it :) 

I’m also not under a self-emposed new gear embargo 😂

7 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I’m also not under a self-emposed new gear embargo 😂

Haha - nor am I... I got out just in time before the starting pistol was fired 😁

On 23/12/2018 at 14:37, Al Krow said:

Haha - me too! I'm absolutely certain I'm going to spot a great bit of kit at a good price and be unable to stick to the programme.

Makes me think "1in 1out" is going to be the right balance of discipline and fun for me. Managed to stick to it with that for larger items this year (basses, amps and cabs) just need to do the same with pedals 😂. However with the Helix Stomp on the scene, there should be a number dedicated pedals that have had their day on the Krow board...

So with a very light heart I think I'll leave my better hair-shirt BC'ers to their GAS free 2019 and wish you guys well in your endeavour.

As a non smoker I think I've finally worked out what giving up smoking feels like! :) 

On 02/01/2019 at 21:59, HazBeen said:

Here he is playing "your" bass...

On 01/01/2019 at 17:29, clivem said:

Also, another thing to note from those specs apart from string spacing...... GIG BAG INCLUDED???????? C'mon, this is a Premium bass, right? What happened to the semi-hard case they used to come with??????

This came with the normal semi hard case. Maybe it is what they called a gig bag

1 minute ago, GisserD said:

Holy mother of god that is a stunner. Where did you get it? I want one :)

I have been fighting the GAS on that since it came out last year. I even tried to avoid playing it when it came into PMT as it doesn't give me anything I didn't have. But GAS is a cruel master, and I failed.

It was (actually is) the most expensive premium (maybe the new 2405 has matched it, haven't seen the price on that yet). But at christmas, everyone put it down by £180, which was very tempting. Now GuitarGuitar and PMT have put it back up to their original price, Andertons kept it at that price.

Then Dawsons just went crazy, had a sale and put it down £330 and I caved!

I love it. And I didn't even realise it had luminays

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

This came with the normal semi hard case. Maybe it is what they called a gig bag

Don't know. It might be something they are changing for 2019. The SR2600/5 was released in 2018. (I assume the serial number on the back of your purchase is going to date it to 2018 production?????) Anyway, the Ibanez 2018 EU catalogue stated, "soft case included". But the website description which they appear to have updated for 2019, says it comes with a gig bag. Who knows?????? Let's see if the next person buying one with a 2019 serial gets the case or a gig bag......

SR2600_2018EU.png