Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

23 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

OF course if you've got a nerve issue, that's another problem but the range is quite OK... SR, BTB, ATK.... None of these is confy for you?

Nope, sadly. I find there are very few basses I can play these days. Also, I only really like the SRs. Ironically, easily the most comfortable instruments for me are my Rickenbackers, binding and all, but as I learned to play on a Ric and have been playing them reasonably consistently for nigh on 40 years, I think I've just moulded to them.

I had one of the Buckeye SR5s for a while (SR5BBLtd?); lovely bass, but it just aggravated my nerve issue. I do think I may at some point I may give in and buy another Ibby for occasional use as they are great basses and outstanding value; for me easily the best value basses out there.

50 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

I can build you a body you can adapt to a SR Neck, but made for your "issues" (if I can say…) :D

Definitely an interesting thought, but I think if I went that route I may as well go full custom. Again. Also, unless it was Rick-shaped, I don’t think I’d know what shape would work until it did (work, that is). Which could mean an awful lot of trial and error.😉

Guest Marcoelwray
22 hours ago, 4000 said:

Definitely an interesting thought, but I think if I went that route I may as well go full custom. Again. Also, unless it was Rick-shaped, I don’t think I’d know what shape would work until it did (work, that is). Which could mean an awful lot of trial and error.😉

My last build is still in London area, if you have some time you can try it out, just need to check with @Bridgehouse if it is possible...

22 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

My last build is still in London area, if you have some time you can try it out, just need to check with @Bridgehouse if it is possible...

It’ll be in Peterborough over the hols - then down to London in early Jan and will be available for others after I have relinquished my custodial duties of it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh - new basses from Ibanez. There is a different colour GWB35 which is nice, but the SR2xx5 range has grown including this:

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/sr2405w_1p_01.html

The 2405 which has something new - an Aguilar pickup, looks like a humbucker. Thats a first in the SR prestiges. Looks rather nice too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Be interesting if they retain the growl of the Nords or are a bit more civilised. I suspect the latter...

Hard to say, would certainly like to listen. I mean if they sounded a bit different then it would be perfect justification for having another SR as it would obviously be different, not just like the 2605 that I still want but can't justify!

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Hard to say, would certainly like to listen. I mean if they sounded a bit different then it would be perfect justification for having another SR as it would obviously be different, not just like the 2605 that I still want but can't justify!

Lol!

Must admit having scrolled through the new 2019 Ibby offerings there's nothing in there that makes me think "must upgrade one of my existing Ibby SRs..."

Let's perhaps see what Yamaha cat drags up this year :) 

Edited by Al Krow

53 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Be interesting if they retain the growl of the Nords or are a bit more civilised. I suspect the latter...

The really interesting thing about that 2405..... Look at the gaps between the individual monorail bridges. Looks like 18mm spacing to me, rather than 16.5mm.

1 minute ago, clivem said:

The really interesting thing about that 2405..... Look at the gaps between the individual monorail bridges. Looks like 18mm spacing to me, rather than 16.5mm.

I'm impressed if you can spot that just by looking at the pic!

@GisserD - if Clive has got this correct then I think you have an SR that pretty much hits the mark (although it will have Aggie rather than my fav Nord pups - but you may prefer that being a 's'ivilised Sandberg  fan).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm impressed if you can spot that just by looking at the pic!

@GisserD - if Clive has got this correct then I think you have an SR that pretty much hits the mark (although it will have Aggie rather than my fav Nord pups - but you may prefer that being a 's'ivilised Sandberg  fan).

Well, the individual bridges are definitely spaced closer together on the Nordy equipped 5's. If you compare the picture of the 2605 to the 2405, the 2405 is definitely wider spacing. As to whether it's actually 18mm.... I'm guessing that.

Just now, clivem said:

Well, the individual bridges are definitely spaced closer together on the Nordy equipped 5's. If you compare the picture of the 2605 to the 2405, the 2405 is definitely wider spacing. As to whether it's actually 18mm.... I'm guessing that.

You're not part of a crack MI6 forensic team? I guess you will have to deny that either way, so let's just assume you are 😁

7 minutes ago, clivem said:

The 2405w is 6mm wider than the 2605 at the 24th fret according to the spec sheets for the 2 basses... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

The 2405w is 6mm wider than the 2605 at the 24th fret according to the spec sheets for the 2 basses... 

Good spot. So that's an extra 1.5mm between the strings at the 24th fret => about an extra 1mm spacing at the nut?

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Good spot. So that's an extra 1.5mm between the strings at the 24th fret => about an extra 1mm spacing at the nut?

Same spacing at the nut, but yes, 6mm more at the neck. So they have gone and ruined it!

ok, scratch that one, back to my lusting after the 2605!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, clivem said:

Also, another thing to note from those specs apart from string spacing...... GIG BAG INCLUDED???????? C'mon, this is a Premium bass, right? What happened to the semi-hard case they used to come with??????

Well I've got two or three now of those fancy cases and tbf, they NEVER get used. Much prefer the convenience and easy fit of my Yamaha (slightly too small) gig bag, which fits in the boot, whereas those hard cases are much more of a squeeze!

So if you get a new Ibanez gig bag and want to trade a (mint!) hard case, please give me a shout! :)

Edited by Al Krow