Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

I will get a picture when it is light, when I got home tonight I had loads to do before I could unpack it, so the light was going away when I got that. The colour of it deserves good lighting. It has a dent out of the top (which I knew before I got it). I bought it from bass direct (in fact it is still there for sale) with a gig bag and a strapp, but neither of those turned up yes, hopefully that will be sorted soon!

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

Anyone else played an SR2600 yet? Played one last week and thought it was great.

How are these different / better than the SR1300 / 1800 / 1900s? Seems to me they are IDENTICAL on the all the important stuff?

3 hours ago, burno70 said:

Lovely looking bass. 

Really?! Personally I'd run a mile. But there again I'm not a fan of relic'd or other 'naff' finishes!

Edited by Al Krow

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

OK - so it continues more, although this isn't technically an SR, its a GVB 36

IMG_4484.jpg

I didn't realise that when the string spacing is that narrow at the bridge it stayed the same spacing all the way up the neck so it is pretty massive up there, but it is fun so far!

14mm spacing O.o yikes!

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

Anyone else played an SR2600 yet? Played one last week and thought it was great.

I haven't, but apparently they have one in bristol (well a 2605) and I am up there at the weekend, maybe I will get a chance to see it!

Would love one.

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

How are these different / better than the SR1300 / 1800 / 1900s? Seems to me they are IDENTICAL on the all the important stuff?

Really?! Personally I'd run a mile. But there again I'm not a fan of relic'd or other 'naff' finishes!

Have they all got 15 piece necks? Personally I love the finish (which I don't think is naff at all), but each to their own.

Just now, 4000 said:

Have they all got 15 piece necks? Personally I love the finish (which I don't think is naff at all), but each to their own.

Ok that's one difference to the construction - what, if any, difference that in practice makes to anything would be interesting to find out. Personally I'd be concerned (purely from a materials science perspective) that could potentially worsen rather than improve the sustain.

Totally agree each to their own and if I was in a Prince tribute band I'd definitely get myself one of these (but I'm not) :D

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the Ibby SR Premiums, I have three of them in my herd. I just see this new range as a pointless additional gimmick. I'll get off fence now! :P

11 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Any time anyone brings out a finish I prefer, it's all good to me. ;) Although maybe not so good for my wallet. O.o

Well if you do decide to get it, I'm sure it will be a lovely bass both to play and also deliver a fantastic sound. At the end of the day it is an Ibby SR and for the money IMHO basses don't come much better!

51 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I thought the one I played (and yes, I've played loads of SRs before and owned one) was better than my old Wal Custom.

Well that is high praise indeed, given how well regarded (and how expensive!) Wal basses are.

• 5 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

It's got the IBZ USA C2 PUPs, PJ config.

SR 1000

I've never noticed any noise from the BOD when I'm not playing.  Could it be caused by the signal from your bass if it's an active bass?  My Ibby is passive.

I've taken the liberty of pulling our chat on Ibby SRs onto this thread, as I didn't want to risk seriously sidetracking the very important discussion of finding the perfect octave pedal! 

Nice bass! I didn't know that Ibbys did their SR range in P/J config - I'm guessing that this has been discontinued for a while now i.e. do you know when the ceased production of the SR1000?

Edited by Al Krow

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've taken the liberty of pulling our chat on Ibby SRs onto this thread, as I didn't want to risk seriously sidetrackng the very important discussion of finding the perfect octave pedal! 

Nice bass! I didn't know that Ibbys did their SR range in P/J config - I'm guessing that this has been discontinued for a while now i.e. do you know when the ceased production of the SR1000?

Good move.

I'm not sure when production ceased.  I bought it new at the start of 1990, the serial no dates it as late 89, which makes sense as they had to order it in.  I know the later models changed the PUPs to EMG & then they stopped doing the PJ config not long after.

The bass was originally black but 7 years ago, I decided to strip it down.  I had intended on painting it, but when I saw the grain, I decided to oil & wax it.

Here's a link to some pics of that process...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjuw23Lc

There used to be an Ibanez website with loads of info about discontinued instruments, but I can't find it just now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Grangur It’s the original PUPs. Other than the finish, the only things I changed were the bridge, the electronics (it used to be active, but I stripped it out & replaced all the wiring & components), the knobs & the old synth style knob is for controlling anything with a CV or expression pedal input. 

The bass is an Ibanez SR1000e strung with D’addario flats (Chromes). 

Popped into PMT Romford today. Tried out an Ibby SR1405. Bass itself is just what I'd expected - top notch. But I found the B string 'floppy'.  Don't have that at all on my Ibby Portamento 5er, so I'm guessing this is just down to string choice i.e. flats on the Portamento vs rounds on the 1405? (I didn't find out what make...)

On 06/08/2017 at 20:04, Al Krow said:

Cheers buddy - I'm still loving it! Have worked out that using a short extension cable seems to be the way to go with my wireless SmoothHound, given the location of the cable connection on the top side of the bass rather than on the rim, which means being wireless will still be a breeze.

Hi. I have an 1805 and an 1405 as well as the smoothHound wireless. All brilliant. I find the transmitter does go in directly if you give that extra little push. It stays in solidly. Enjoy your sound and freedom. 

• 3 months later...

Not sure why it's taken me so long to discover these, given they have been around for 3 years now!

image.jpeg.ebebedbbfa9eb91c2fac58e6bebbe428.jpeg

Ibanez SRF755

Reverse P / J set up

Nordstrand pups

Usual Ibby goodness!

Does anyone own one of these or tried and didn't like? I'm very tempted to get one of these as an alternative to the SR1805 range...

I tried one, it was fine. Prefer the pickups on the premium. Went to that there London the other day, went in wunjos and bass gallery while my wife was shopping with friends. No one told me there was a SR1705, like the 1605 but gloss.. oh that’s nice

Well, I got me an SR500 a couple of weeks ago, and I am very pleased with it indeed. It has the Barts which get not much love, but I am totally digging on this thing.

Light, nicely made, great neck. Pity about the turd brown finish, but maybe a coat of Liberon finishing oil might jazz it up a tad. It sounds great!

It's my first active bass. I also picked up a Sterling Sub Ray 4 last week, and the Ibanez is way more versatile, but I like them both very much. Both are great bang for buck.

Now, I just need a fretless version of the Ibby. Maybe I'll get me a 370e and yank the frets out. How does that sound, people?