Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1503260337' post='3356813']
Back to SR's - I put flats on the 700 before and it sounded horrible ! Took them straight off.
[/quote]
I had EB heavy flats on my SR3005e and it was massive but then that's a different beast.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1503260793' post='3356821']
I took the SR5005 out for a gig yesterday, and the 1605 out for a gig today, and revelled in the way that both of them sounded, probably more noticable today as yesterday we were on the back of a truck and it was a bit harder to hear.
[/quote]
Comaprison?

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1503261029' post='3356825']
Comaprison?
[/quote]

Sound wise they are closer than you would think. Difference is that there is a much bigger difference in tone between the pickups on the 5005 than there is on the 1605. The 1605 changes from a bit more trebly and attack at the bridge and warmer on the neck, the 5005 goes from harsh and agressive on the bridge to huge and thunderous on the neck (but also twice the volume).
The 5005 is a lot heavier than the 1605 which changes the way it plays and balance - the 1605 has a tendancy towards neck heavy as the spalted wood is so light, which is why I put the ultralight tuners on it. The 5005 has the same tuners (grovers) but they suit it better as the wenge weights a lot more. I think on balance that the 5005 is nicer to play as an instrument, as the neck seems a little better, but the 1605 has much better electrics and the lightness is pretty good as our gigs tend to be long.
The 5005 has the 3v electrics that are just odd, but mostly the imbalance between the pickups make it hard to go between the two.

Having played those two at the weekend, I couldn't honestly at the moment say that if I had to only keep one which one it would be. Although it does tell me that I should probably move on the SRFF as although I love the neck and the fan frets on it (and I really do like it a lot), I don't like the sound anywhere near as much as the other two. Unless I got the big single pickups for it, and they cost a bit.

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1503264100' post='3356854']
Sound wise they are closer than you would think. Difference is that there is a much bigger difference in tone between the pickups on the 5005 than there is on the 1605. The 1605 changes from a bit more trebly and attack at the bridge and warmer on the neck, the 5005 goes from harsh and agressive on the bridge to huge and thunderous on the neck (but also twice the volume).
The 5005 is a lot heavier than the 1605 which changes the way it plays and balance - the 1605 has a tendancy towards neck heavy as the spalted wood is so light, which is why I put the ultralight tuners on it. The 5005 has the same tuners (grovers) but they suit it better as the wenge weights a lot more. I think on balance that the 5005 is nicer to play as an instrument, as the neck seems a little better, but the 1605 has much better electrics and the lightness is pretty good as our gigs tend to be long.
The 5005 has the 3v electrics that are just odd, but mostly the imbalance between the pickups make it hard to go between the two
[/quote]
Thats interesting, I loved the sound of the SR3005e but I struggled to dial in sounds live. As a result I would leave the controls well alone during sets. Almost everything you said about the SR5005e reminds me of it. It is a great instrument with a Thunderous sound. The Ibby basses I have now are more like the 1605 and can be switched between mids settiings or pups without much change in volume so are much easier to live with. I would still like anohter Prestige SR sometime :)

Edited by Pinball

• 2 weeks later...

My SR1800 got an outing at band rehearsal with my other band (rock covers) this afternoon for the first time since I bought it. Admiring comments about both its appearance and tone from my band mates. I'm still loving the Nordstrand growl through my Markbass, which today was unembellished without any pedals. It's rapidly moving into long term keeper status and is increasingly my go to bass for rock genre material. Very happy with this purchase!

Edited by Al Krow

edstraker123 said:

Now gassing for an SR756 - any possibility of me finding a used one do you think ?

Wow, not mucking about with a 5 string and going straight for 6!! I do like the P/J set up, I was going to ask if Ibby did a decent P bass as I was struggling to find one in the SR range (and ended up going for an end of line Yammy BB434 which I guess is a more "classic" P bass), but clearly I wasn't looking very hard!

I see Thomann are doing an SR756 for around £700 (which is £120 cheaper than PMT) and I wonder if you will get one much cheaper second hand as I'm guessing these aren't that common, but you could do worse than having a hunt and putting an ad in the wanted section? Having said that I see that a BTB 1406 and a BTB 556 both sold recently on here.

What have you got in mind to use it for?

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1503234934' post='3356583']
Still GASing for the SR750 - the licensed Nordys are calling out to me... :D [/quote]

I think the 750 is discontinued now. The 650 is still current production.
Just a shame we only get the "dark" choice in Europe.
It looks like in the USofA they also have the "natural" as well as the "antique brown", or at least Sweetwater do.... Not sure if that finish is exclusive to them. (ISTR the 1400 with the black, rather than gold hardware, was exclusive to them.)

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR650ABS"]Ibanez SR650 - Antique Brown Stained @ Sweetwater[/url]

[url="https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SR650NTF"]Ibanez SR650NTF - Natural Flat @ Sweetwater[/url]

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1504462543' post='3365058']
Now gassing for an SR756 - any possibility of me finding a used one do you think ?
[/quote]

I think you might find they are as rare as rocking horse doo-doo! ;)

Edited by clivem

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1504655627' post='3366420']
PMT online seem to still have a couple in stock (although their website may not have been updated...)
[/quote]

Yes, seems there is stock out there at other retailers too.....

[url="https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14123112143758--ibanez-sr750-ntf-4-walnut-and-maple-natural-flat"]Ibanez SR750-NTF 4 Walnut and Maple Natural Flat @ GuitarGuitar[/url]
[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-sr750-4-string-bass-guitar-natural-flat--216515"]Ibanez SR750 4-String Bass Guitar Natural Flat @ DV247[/url]

Those 750s really are lookers. Fortunately for me, I prefer a wider neck, otherwise the 'add to shopping basket' button would be being clicked.

This thread title messes with my head, every time I see it, my eyes miss the n and it becomes "My SR rage continues" :D

I'm a little confused about those SR750's. I could have swore it was a maple body with a bubinga top....

DV247 description says it is a mahogany body with bubinga top.....
GuitarGuitar has walnut/maple in the title, but says "Bubinga top/Mahogany body" in the description.
PMT description says "Bubinga top / Maple Body", which is what I thought it should be.

Either these shops are not accurate with their descriptions, or perhaps Ibanez made two 750 models, one with maple body and another with mahogany.

I've got a separate Q on the SR 750s / 755s.

I really like the fact that they have Nordstrand PUPs (albeit not the same as the "big" Nords on the SR Premium range) and the fact that they are going to be relatively light 4/5 string basses.

However, Ibanez have reversed the order of the P bass PUPs to have the high string PUP nearer the bridge, as compared to the normal P-Bass layout with the low string single coil PUP nearer the bridge.

How far does this change move the Ibby away from the "classic" P-Bass sound? Indeed, is it any longer fair to class it as a P-Bass?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1504711776' post='3366828']
How far does this change move the Ibby away from the "classic" P-Bass sound? Indeed, is it any longer fair to class it as a P-Bass?
[/quote]

I'm probably going to get shot for saying this..... I don't think you can get close to a classic P bass sound out of any SR. (I have a 650 with the ash body and the reversed CND split 'P' pickup). I'm not trying to be controversial, but if you want a bass to sound like a classic P, then buy a P'Bass.
The CND pickups are very clean sounding, coupled with the active electronics and you are going to get a modern sound, not what I'd call the P sound/tone, if that's what you are looking for. I suspect in your case, that you'll get a more authentic P sound out of that BB you just bought than you would out of either SR650/750.

And actually, that 750 scares me a bit if it does have the maple body. That's going to add bite, coupled with the "cleanliness" of the CND pickups.... I think you'd be moving further away from a traditional P tone with that, than you would be with the ash body of the 650.

I actually prefer the 370 over the 300, because the maple body adds bite and definition, with the Ibby PowerSpan pickups. But by the time you get to the mid-range models with the licensed Bart Mk1's, I prefer the ash body SR600 over the SR500, (I've got both of those too). The mahogany body just doesn't have the depth/breadth of tone on the low notes. On both you are going to suffer harshness, lack of definition on the highs, that's why I don't like the licensed Barts....

Anyway back to the 750..... That CND split coil is clean/hi-fi sounding...... Coupled with "bite" from a maple body, I doubt you'll get anything approaching a P tone. But take that with a pinch of salt. I don't have a 750, just hypothetical based on my knowledge of pickups and body wood choices in the Ibby range.

clivem said:

I'm probably going to get shot for saying this..... I don't think you can get close to a classic P bass sound out of any SR. (I have a 650 with the ash body and the reversed CND split 'P' pickup). I'm not trying to be controversial, but if you want a bass to sound like a classic P, then buy a P'Bass.
The CND pickups are very clean sounding, coupled with the active electronics and you are going to get a modern sound, not what I'd call the P sound/tone, if that's what you are looking for. I suspect in your case, that you'll get a more authentic P sound out of that BB you just bought than you would out of either SR650/750.

And actually, that 750 scares me a bit if it does have the maple body. That's going to add bite, coupled with the "cleanliness" of the CND pickups.... I think you'd be moving further away from a traditional P tone with that, than you would be with the ash body of the 650.

I actually prefer the 370 over the 300, because the maple body adds bite and definition, with the Ibby PowerSpan pickups. But by the time you get to the mid-range models with the licensed Bart Mk1's, I prefer the ash body SR600 over the SR500, (I've got both of those too). The mahogany body just doesn't have the depth/breadth of tone on the low notes. On both you are going to suffer harshness, lack of definition on the highs, that's why I don't like the licensed Barts....

Anyway back to the 750..... That CND split coil is clean/hi-fi sounding...... Coupled with "bite" from a maple body, I doubt you'll get anything approaching a P tone. But take that with a pinch of salt. I don't have a 750, just hypothetical based on my knowledge of pickups and body wood choices in the Ibby range.

Clive - that's really helpful, cheers buddy. Kinda what I suspected given that Ibby aren't "known" for having a P-Bass substitute in their range, whereas the Yammy BB's are well recognised and loved by many in that regard. Shame. I've very rapidly become a BIG fan of Ibbys as you've probably gathered by now, so if they were making a SR Premium P-Bass I'd have snapped it up, but sounds like I've done the right thing to go for a Yammy BB instead.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='clivem' timestamp='1504714130' post='3366847']
[/quote]

I don't think that there is anything even slightly controversial there, no, you won't get a P bass sound out of a SR, it is not what they are supposed to sound like. There are a lot of P Basses and PBass alikes out there.

If you want an ibanez that sounds more P like, I would have thought an old Roadstar would be a better choice. Or just a P bass!

An ATK would be closer, but I think that is much more like a musicman

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1504717715' post='3366882']
I don't think that there is anything even slightly controversial there, no, you won't get a P bass sound out of a SR, it is not what they are supposed to sound like. There are a lot of P Basses and PBass alikes out there.[/quote]

LOL. I'm often seen as controversial, without even trying to be...... The reason I wrote that, is that I was reminded of a conversation from 20 years ago, where the discussion went roughly like this...... Me saying, you can't make a Les Paul sound like a Strat. If you wan't to sound like a quacking duck, go buy a Strat! Then me being told, that a PROFESSIONAL can make anything sound like anything he wants it to sound like. The inference being that I was just a bedroom/hobby player that didn't know what he was talking about..... Leave it to the PRO's...... Yeah right! ;)

Anyway, I'm mindful of the fact that I am posting my thoughts somewhere, where there are professional musicians in attendance, who probably can perform miracles with a cardboard cut-out bass and a jam jar amplifier!

PS. Sorry for crapping all over your thread, which started out with you posting about your purchase of a SR1800. I think we should probably go and create a generic "Ibby SR chatter" thread.

clivem said:

LOL. I'm often seen as controversial, without even trying to be...... The reason I wrote that, is that I was reminded of a conversation from 20 years ago, where the discussion went roughly like this...... Me saying, you can't make a Les Paul sound like a Strat. If you wan't to sound like a quacking duck, go buy a Strat! Then me being told, that a PROFESSIONAL can make anything sound like anything he wants it to sound like. The inference being that I was just a bedroom/hobby player that didn't know what he was talking about..... Leave it to the PRO's...... Yeah right! ;)

Anyway, I'm mindful of the fact that I am posting my thoughts somewhere, where there are professional musicians in attendance, who probably can perform miracles with a cardboard cut-out bass and a jam jar amplifier!

PS. Sorry for crapping all over your thread, which started out with you posting about your purchase of a SR1800. I think we should probably go and create a generic "Ibby SR chatter" thread.

Now you are being very rude: it was originally about Woodinblack's purhcase of a prestige SR5005 not a measly premium SR1800 (that was me) :D :D
But it seems quite a few of us have been encouraged, by this thread, to get off the fence and get ourselves an Ibby (in my case for the first time).
Anyway the thread already seems to have morphed into an "all things Ibby SR" related...so I guess up to Woodinblack as chief SR mouse and owner of like a zillion Ibbys as to whether he wants to give the thread a more generic title, although it's kinda nicely generic already...

On a more serious note, your comments from my perspective have been entirely welcome and helpful. I know sometimes folk can get a bit "sensitive" on BC but, by and large, it's a really good crowd who share a common passion for all things bass. I, for one, have massively appreciated the willingness of folk such as your good self, to share their experiences and tips, for free, and continue to do so. Cheers.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1504724010' post='3366925']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Now you are being [i]very[/i] rude: it was originally about Woodinblack's purhcase of a prestige SR5005 not a measly premium SR1800 (that was me) :D :D[/quote][/font][/color]

Oh dear..... Doh! Yes, it started with a Prestige. ;)

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1504724010' post='3366925']
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]On a more serious note, your comments from my perspective have been entirely welcome and helpful. I know sometimes folk can get a bit "sensitive" on BC but, by and large, it's a really good crowd who share a common passion for all things bass. I, for one, have massively appreciated the willingness of folk such as your good self, to share their experiences and tips, for free, and continue to do so. Cheers.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

I've got a couple of my Ibby's in storage at the moment, but when I've got them all back in one place, you're more than welcome to come over (SE London) and have at 'em. (SR370, SR375, SR500, SR600, SR650, SR1400)

clivem said:

I've got a couple of my Ibby's in storage at the moment, but when I've got them all back in one place, you're more than welcome to come over (SE London) and have at 'em. (SR370, SR375, SR500, SR600, SR650, SR1400)

That's really generous of you. I'll be delighted to take up your offer. PM me offline and we can fix up a date when you've got them all back in one place and I look forward to buying you a beer at the same time!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='edstraker123' timestamp='1504720324' post='3366903']
Just picked up an ATK300 - lovely bass - my obsession with all things Ibby continues....
[/quote]

Yes, the ATKs are odd things. I don't find them particularly attractive but they play very well and sound great. I have a very tatty 305 that I kept meaning to customise, but it just stays around the house getting played.

Well, as it turns out, I have one more Ibanez coming to my collection at the end of the week, but its not an SR, or an ATK. More on that later.