Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have been fighting the GAS on that since it came out last year. I even tried to avoid playing it when it came into PMT as it doesn't give me anything I didn't have. But GAS is a cruel master, and I failed.

It was (actually is) the most expensive premium (maybe the new 2405 has matched it, haven't seen the price on that yet). But at christmas, everyone put it down by £180, which was very tempting. Now GuitarGuitar and PMT have put it back up to their original price, Andertons kept it at that price.

Then Dawsons just went crazy, had a sale and put it down £330 and I caved!

I love it. And I didn't even realise it had luminays

Congratulations - and you've clearly found a soul mate in Mr Gisser! (Don't let him tell you about pedals, btw, otherwise you'll be done for! 😂)

Still, I see you're having a clear out of your existing Ibby bass collection, including your "chess board" bass, which was first made known to the world near the start of this thread. So, at least in terms of "sparkly" basses, there is at least some balance being maintained in the Force in Somerset :)

4 minutes ago, GisserD said:

The GAK website says the string spacing is 19mm, can you confirm this? it doesn't look like tht wide to me...

GAK just cut'n'pasted that from the 4 string description. SR2605 is 16.5mm spacing, I'm sure.

SR2605_2018EU.png

Edited by clivem

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congratulations - and you've clearly found a soul mate in Mr Gisser! (Don't let him tell you about pedals, btw, otherwise you'll be done for! 😂)

Might be a bit late on that one!

15 minutes ago, GisserD said:

The GAK website says the string spacing is 19mm, can you confirm this? it doesn't look like tht wide to me...

I can confirm it is 16.5mm as nature intended

6 minutes ago, Wilco said:

I feel partly responsible (in a good way!) for your GAS resistance caving in. 😄 That looks bloomin’ awesome!! Nice score.

I was already looking. I just looked at it every day on Dawsons and every day was kind of hoping their sale had gone, then though, well, why not!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2019 at 18:43, Woodinblack said:

I was already looking. I just looked at it every day on Dawsons and every day was kind of hoping their sale had gone, then though, well, why not!

I’ve just caved on the 4 string version.... Online order placed.

The thought has been gnawing away at me for a couple of weeks now. A January sale price + a small loyalty points discount was just too much to resist!

Might be a rather splendid Maruszczyk Elwood going in the classifieds to pay for it as a result  - we’ll see.

How are you getting on with yours? Is the tone from that video easily obtainable? You know we all have a ‘tone’ in our heads - that’s pretty much the one in mine.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Wilco said:

Finally got around to taking pics of my new one. Love this bass!

D999C2C8-AADD-4964-BF85-0D2318B3C498.jpeg

Nice - it looks just like mine if it had a string missing :D

Actually I notice it doesn't look the same, the waviness is different and the speckles are in a different place. The great advantage of wood like that, every one is a bit different.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Image result for ibanez srms806

On 31/03/2019 at 13:54, Al Krow said:

... is the bass at the bottom an Ibby SRMS805? Not seen in that finish before. Bit of a head turner! 

If it had Nords instead of the standard Barts I'd be very tempted to trade in my SR 1825 at Wunjos...

29 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am the same on those, I got rid of my 805 because of the pickups. It was £300 for a set of nords for an 805 as a custom order, if they had been cheaper I would have kept it.

Pulling the chat onto the Ibby SR thread...

Woody - must admit I didn't know that we had the option of getting a custom order Nord pups instead of the Barts on this?

Ok it's £900 in standard form, and the Nords would take it to £1,200 - or maybe not that much extra if they were custom fitting ab initio?!

But as an intro to fan frets and having a 35.5" scale on the B string (whilst keeping 34" on the G) this would still be significantly less than the price of a Dingwall.

Hmmm...food for thought and tempting! 

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Woody - must admit I didn't know that we had the option of getting a custom order Nord pups instead of the Barts on this?

Mr nord is quite approachable with these things. There was a discussion on here somewhere about it.  Oh looking through messages we had a discussion about this in the beginning of jan 2018!

So yes, there were custom orders available, but apparently since then the big splits fit and there is this:

https://reverb.com/item/4621629-nordstrand-big-split-pickup-set-fits-ibanez-srff805-5-string-fanned-fret-bass-custom-built

Ok it's £900 in standard form, and the Nords would take it to £1,200 - or maybe not that much extra if they were custom fitting ab initio?!

But as an intro to fan frets and having a 35.5" scale on the B string (whilst keeping 34" on the G) this would still be significantly less than the price of a Dingwall.

Well, yes it would but they are a long way different from each other. A cheap way of getting a dingwall is to get a combustion, which s/h is probably less than 1k (at least I sold mine less than that). They are remarkably different - the 805 is very much like all the other SRs with a slight bend to the frets, it isn't that noticable. The dingwall has a very very different neck and the scale is also very different (especially as it goes a lot longer). It plays very different.

TBH, I would like to go the other way. Get another dingwall and put a nord on that to get a decent sound out of it. I might be happier with that. 

I would say though that if a 805 came up in that finish cheap enough to make it worth sticking a nord on, I would be pretty tempted.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Woodinblack

Cheers Woody - was that a typo in your first sentence? "My nord is quite approachable..."?

There was no typo in my sentence, was there a typo in your reading? I didn't say 'My'

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm slightly bemused that you rate the Nords so much more highly than the Dingwall pups as well! 

You wouldn't find it that bemusing if you have a look back at my comments about the combustion before. I sold my combustion, I liked everything about the combustion but the output was worse than lifeless. I almost lost an audition because I took my dingwall, ie, the group asked me after a few songs if I had another bass, luckily I took the hohner B2 which I played, which they liked and I got the gig. With the standard pickups whatever they were in that. I couldn't say bad enough things about it.

But nordstrand do replacement pickups for them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

There was no typo in my sentence, was there a typo in your reading? I didn't say 'My'

Aha indeed - what comes of trying to read 'the small print' quickly eh?!

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You wouldn't find it that bemusing if you have a look back at my comments about the combustion before. I sold my combustion, I liked everything about the combustion but the output was worse than lifeless. I almost lost an audition because I took my dingwall, ie, the group asked me after a few songs if I had another bass, luckily I took the hohner B2 which I played, which they liked and I got the gig. With the standard pickups whatever they were in that. I couldn't say bad enough things about it.

That's not a good story at all! I presume the higher end Dingwalls have better pups?

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Forgot to mention, there is another option, the SRFF4005 prestige!

Never seen one though.

Nor me. Doesn't seem to be any mention of these on their website either, so I guess it's a discontinued product?

44 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's not a good story at all! I presume the higher end Dingwalls have better pups?

I am hoping so. I would still like a dingwall, but I would have to try it first. I would specifically love a dbird, but I would need to give it a shot.

Nor me. Doesn't seem to be any mention of these on their website either, so I guess it's a discontinued product?

ahh - I got the number wrong, it is a SRFF-4505, missed that 5 out.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Ibanez-SRFF-4505-SOL-Fanned-Fret-Stained-Oil/art-BAS0007776-000

Seems they may have been japan and america, or very low production levels, if you can find them they are over 2k, but basically a srff with nordys, which means there must be an official pickup for them.

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am hoping so. I would still like a dingwall, but I would have to try it first. I would specifically love a dbird, but I would need to give it a shot.

ahh - I got the number wrong, it is a SRFF-4505, missed that 5 out.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Ibanez-SRFF-4505-SOL-Fanned-Fret-Stained-Oil/art-BAS0007776-000

Seems they may have been japan and america, or very low production levels, if you can find them they are over 2k, but basically a srff with nordys, which means there must be an official pickup for them.

Ah so I found a typo but just in the wrong place 😁

Have a word with @krispn - he knows a thing or two about Dingwalls.

Sounds like you and I have a plan then which is to get a decent used SRMS805, install some Nords and save ourselves £2k on getting a Jap / US only Prestige. IMO the SRMS805 actually looks a LOT less dull than that Prestige anyway! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

Have a word with @krispn - he knows a thing or two about Dingwalls.

Sadly it has to be a hearing thing, I need to hear one and see how it responds. I have had several people tell me their combustion sounded fine, and maybe it did to them. 

But I can't believe that the other dingwalls sound the same.

Sounds like you and I have a plan then which is to get a decent used SRMS805, install some Nords and save ourselves £2k on getting a Jap / US only Prestige. IMO the SRMS805 actually looks a LOT less dull than that Prestige anyway! :) 

Yeh, I wasn't that keen on the finish of the SRFF805, although my wife liked it. I also thought it was a little rough in places, especially the nut and headstock, but maybe because it was the first of its type. That SRMS looks a lot better finish and with something a bit more lively in the engine room it would be killer.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, I wasn't that keen on the finish of the SRFF8054505, although my wife liked it. I also thought it was a little rough in places, especially the nut and headstock, but maybe because it was the first of its type...

Fixed?

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

That SRMS looks a lot better finish and with something a bit more lively in the engine room it would be killer.

Agreed!

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Fixed?

I would prefer the finish of the 4505 to the 805, my wife would prefer the 805 to the 4505. I would prefer both of the SRMS805 finishes to both (although I suspect my wife would still prefer the 805, although her favourite is my Maruszczyk and mine is the 2605)

Guest Marcoelwray

All these SR's.... I want one back so bad... I had one for 15 years.

First thing I'll change on it the pickups... These new Times Square are so good! Should fit a SR like a charm!

1 hour ago, Marcoelwray said:

All these SR's.... I want one back so bad... I had one for 15 years.

First thing I'll change on it the pickups... These new Times Square are so good! Should fit a SR like a charm!

Swapping the Nordstrand pups out on the SR Premium range would be an expensive and totally retrograde step in my opinion. YMMV etc.!😎 

Guest Marcoelwray
1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Swapping the Nordstrand pups out on the SR Premium range would be an expensive and totally retrograde step in my opinion. YMMV etc.!😎 

Oh I really like the Nordstrand, believe me my friend, but I like the versatility of the SRs, and the Times Square quad coils Toferrite will add more versatility to the instrument. It's like fitting 4 pup's instead of two. Plus, Nordstrand PUs are easy to sell.... But it's just my opinion on this, I'm sure the premium range is already outstanding.