Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR basses

Woodinblack

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@Skinnyman a week in, how are you finding it?

I’m loving it, thanks! 😁

I think the previous attempts and the BEAD exercise all allowed me to get my head round the extra string so getting a nice, slim comfy neck has just brought everything together nicely. 

Rehearsal last week was really good and I’ve been practising every day just to make sure my head and my fingers get used to the new layout. I will keep swapping back to a four so that I can play either (I don’t want to play fives exclusively) but I’ve taken to this so well that I can see a few fours going up for sale and another five (or two) being added....

I’m really glad that you responded to my original post and opened my eyes to the ease and comfort of the narrow spacing*

*(IMHO, obvs, YMMV. Other opinions are available and are equally valid)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

P pups in the right place should in theory give you more than a passing nod to the P bass sound. In my simpleton books anyway!

I think there is more to it than that.

Do you remember how the SR655e sounded and played? 

Not of hand on the sound, but obviously it played quite a lot like an ibanez SR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

They seem to be, alongside Schecter and Fender, the brand most able and willing to bring new product to market to keep their line up fresh, even if its just a variation on a theme, whereas Yamaha, who as we all know have a very loyal following, are on around a 5 year cycle before rolling out new product. Not right or wrong, but interesting different commercial approaches. 

8 minutes ago, biro said:

Late to the party, but I might as well show you my two current SRs. Absolutely amazing instruments.

17640F4E-E59A-402E-81D0-E9EDD4E857FB.jpeg

I have one of those, but probably a bit older (or not as well looked after). The gold has faded a bit. I have replaced the 3v 4 band EQ where the treble and sweep didn't work with a 3 band glockenlang 9v one, which works well, except one of the 4 knobs no longer does anything and the switch is missing as it has a push pull bypass on volume. I should put an LED in the hole or something!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I have one of those, but probably a bit older (or not as well looked after). The gold has faded a bit. I have replaced the 3v 4 band EQ where the treble and sweep didn't work with a 3 band glockenlang 9v one, which works well, except one of the 4 knobs no longer does anything and the switch is missing as it has a push pull bypass on volume. I should put an LED in the hole or something!

Actually I might consider replacing the 3v eq too. Everything on that bass is flawless, but the eq itself is a little underwhelming.

5 minutes ago, biro said:

Actually I might consider replacing the 3v eq too. Everything on that bass is flawless, but the eq itself is a little underwhelming.

I was forced to by the fact the treble wasn't working. Any other bit wouldn't have worried so much. Spent ages looking for a 4 pot one to fit, but I had got a glockenlang on here and it is a good preamp. Would be nice to get one of the newer preamps from the EHB series as they are 4 pot (or 2 stacked) and sound great, but as it is I am happy with how it sounds.

Lovely bass although I am sure that in a 3 hour gig I end up slightly shorter on one side by the time I am done!

58 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

@Al Krow messages me every few months to rename this thread from NBD: My SR range continues to something more inclusive.

I finally caved, so here is a rename!

Haha - just once a year, for the past three years. But only because:

a) it made sense; and

b) because you have caused me more expenditure than any other person on BC! So far:

- 5 (!!) Ibby basses, of which I still have 3;

- Boss SY-1 and now TWO (including a spare) Zoom B1-4 pedals - both your threads I believe?

Maybe with the notable exception of @pedwho persuaded me to fork out on a KS, which took him to the top of my cost chart at a stroke and is now in cahoots with you about removing my resistance to getting a SY-1000 & GK3 pup...

Edited by Al Krow

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Clearly the top one is a SR5005 Presige, which is how this thread started!

I must admit that I am puzzled why its TRC is sitting on the strings though

Ha, good point. I had just finished setting it up and I thought I'd rest it there just to take a quick pic!

And yes, the first one is a SR5005—the model before the current one, which has the truss rod adjustment at the heel if I am not mistaken. 

The second is a SR30TH5PII Premium, which is really quite great. Surprisingly much more darker sounding than the 1205 Premium I had before, and I think this must be down to some change in the pick ups and preamp. It is really lovely though, fantastic fretwork and craftsmanship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

And once more - over 12 months ago now in fact(!):

Ibanez SRs! (Sep 2019).jpg

Don't have enough empty floorspace to do that :)

Although I got rid of my GWB36 and my SRF705, so I am just left with the 5005, 1605, and 1000. Well, and the 2605 that I haven't sold. But I think that is my lowest level of SRs for a while. But I have the EHB1505 to take up some slack.

So in terms of your preferences was there much difference between the 1605 and 2605?

And is the EHB1505 your new favourite? 

All Nordstrand Big Singles and pretty much the same Ibby 3 band EQ with variable mids on each, although the EHB has fully variable mid rather mid selector switch I know. 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

All Nordstrand Big Singles and pretty much the same Ibby 3 band EQ with variable mids on each, although the EHB has fully variable mid rather mid selector switch I know. 

See, I think the fundamental tone is more or less the same, but I am finding quite a bit of difference between the Big Singles on the 1205VNF and the SR30th5PII. My suspicion is that somewhere along the way they might have changed a recipe or two—the 1205 sounded much, much brighter. 

• Like 1

So in terms of your preferences was there much difference between the 1605 and 2605?

There is a massive difference between the two. I don't know why, there just is. The 2605 is way brighter and quite harsh, the 1605 is fuller. To be fair I like both of them and live obviously the differences aren't so pronounced, I just felt not much point having both, although I might just end up keeping them anyway.

And is the EHB1505 your new favourite? 

My 1505 was my favourite when I got it, then it went back, then my new shuker was my favourite when I got that, then the 1505 came back and not sure. I played at a practice for a gig that didn't happen though and the 1505 really shone. However, the shuker is still the looker and great to play, as long as you don't want to dig in. The EHB is more the angry kid on the block.

But the other day I picked up the 1605 to play something and.. you know, like a favourite old pair of slippers?

The EHB doesn't have big singles though, even if they look the same, it has big splits. Truth to tell it is not a lot of difference although they are humbuckers which means I can get near the valve amp.

The variable mid is certainly better than the switch, on the 1505  (and on the original 5005 and 1000) and a bit easier to find what you are looking for.

And also makes it easier to use with the shuker that has similar (but not the same) layout

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

There is a massive difference between the two. I don't know why, there just is. The 2605 is way brighter and quite harsh, the 1605 is fuller. To be fair I like both of them and live obviously the differences aren't so pronounced, I just felt not much point having both, although I might just end up keeping them anyway.

The difference between a well played in bass and a new one? 

Yamaha actually make a thing of this and some of their high-end basses come with "A.R.E." (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement), resulting in "outstanding tonal balance and eliminating the harsh edge common with younger guitars". They've basically given "sonic treatment" to the basses so that they have a "played in" feel.

25 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The difference between a well played in bass and a new one? 

I don't think so, I have had new / almost new / old ibbys before and TBH they don't seem to change much over time (and my SR1000 I got in 2005). It just is very different.

Maybe it is the difference between a shiny finish and a matte one, or maybe it is that 13 laminate neck means it is very solid.