Why become a member? ×

compressor, overdrive, chorus pedals for a small board or flyrig

John_P

Just debating my options for a small gigging board vs a flyrig.

I'd like:
a di / pre as a backup for amp problems (hopefully not needed)
A touch of grit/ low mid gain
compression
chorus

If the compressor works well with guitar that would be a bonus.

I could just get a flyrig to cover all of this in one box and I have a guitar flyrig that is a great back up.
or I
I have a spare polytune and pedaltrain metro16 that could be used so i could add a tech21 vt, a keeley or Cali comp and a chorus and probably spend similar ish money.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by John_P

^ Thanks, that looks a cool setup with plenty of options.

I'd rather buy quality than feel the need to upgrade and I don't need anything whacky so I'm leaning more towards separate pedals at the moment - probably a tech21 vt, a keeley or cali76 and a chorus would do everything I need for the gigs I do - mostly deps with rock covers or soul/pop functions.

well it sounds like you know pretty much exactly what you want, which is half the battle. I can heartily recommend the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe if you're in need of inspiration, it sounds great and is easy to dial in. I've got a TC Corona too which is pretty awesome.

Whatever you go with I think you're on the right track going down the separate pedals route, especially since you only need a few sounds on a small board.

MXR bass chorus deluxe is a must, it really is about the best one out there.

I have a big Cali76G, but the Cali76CB works easily as well on guitar, a lot of people who down tune, or even chicken picker country guys use it.
Tuner I have a polytune mini, after that fill your boots. Nice to see a Source Audio pic. I have the Manta Bass and Hot hand, it's not on the board as my metro 16 is also populated by the Two Notes Le bass, but it's a lot of fun.
The VT will certainly take care of any drive you want.

Enjoy

Hey Cuzz - some quality gear there! But it's not exactly going to fit on a [i]small [/i]board as per the OP. But very useful to see a side by side comparison nonetheless.

I do have my eye on a Two Notes as I think it's got the possibility of delivering 90% of [i]that [/i]valve amp goodness a lot of us crave - and no one in an audience is going to notice the remaining 10%. But it's good to note that it takes 4 times the space of a "standard" Boss or MXR pedal, so I'll make sure to have enough space left on my pedal board to accommodate before getting one!

Edited by Al Krow

Cheers guys - I'd love the big Cali76 but finding one looks a bit harder than I thought, I've seen some cheap keeley two knob and gc2 pedals so I'll probably try one of those first.

I have an old boss ce2 I might try but I suspect it won't be as good with bass as it is on guitar.

Any thoughts on the vt bass and a di box vs the vt bass Di?

The VTDI has a few extra features, namely bite and blend. Bite is an extra hi-mid boost to add clank, baked into the original VT. The v2 VT has a speaker sim defeat which also removes the bite when removing the speaker sim; the VTDI essentially splits speaker sim and bite into separate switches. Blend is self explanatory, totally unnecessary at low gain IMHO (unless you want to roll it all the way off to remove the VT colouration entirely), but very useful at high gain, which otherwise squashes all the dynamics from your sound without a bit of dry signal added back in.

Oh Al you do love winding me up!

I would say the the Metro 16 is a small board, it has 3 rails as opposed to 2 on Cameron J's post, but is shorter and not as long.

It was just an example of what can be done with big pedals on a SMALL board....

Of course using a Cali76 CB pedal which is the bees knees (got one yet Al?!) would leave further room

[quote name='Alien' timestamp='1501879292' post='3348054']
Hey, John P, what's the pinkish paisley patterned pedal (ooh, check out Mr Alliteration) just right of centre in that pic?

Looks dead cool :)

A
[/quote]

Thanks, It's a keeley compressor - gc2. They did a limited edition in paisley and I saw a cheap one so I took a gamble on it after reading a few reviews that the guitar and bass versions are very similar and I can move it over to my guitar board if I decide on a change.
I did two gigs last weekend and I'm very happy with the new setup - the comp is easy to dial in with the led to show gain reduction and the vt is great for adding a bit of grit when needed.