Why become a member? ×

Where can you get cheap necks from?

MarkG3

I'm looking for a replacement neck for one of my basses. It's a p bass but with the old Tele bass shape and head. So ideally looks wise I would like the headstock to be the same/similar.

The measurements of the heel of the current neck width ways is 62mm so can't be any bigger. I've got a spare neck but that's a 64mm so is too big.

So any ideas where I can find some online?

Thanks!

Edited by MarkG3

Keep an eye on the marketplace here and eBay/Gumtree for Squier necks that might occasionally pop up. Be worth putting an ad up in the Items Wanted section too!

Another place to look is the "decorative" section of Thomann, might be able to get a whole bass for the price of a neck!

Best of luck

Ah ha yes I forgot about thomman doing that. So I'll have a check thanks!

I wasn't sure about putting this here or in the wanted section as I thought it would be handy for people to reply here rather than having to PM but could also be helpful for others too :)

I should add that the neck needs to be the squared off heel rather than the usual curved off one

Edited by MarkG3

[quote name='MarkG3' timestamp='1500648793' post='3339385']
Should also add that it really needs to be maple too!

Seemingly there isn't anything at all on thommans deco part at the moment but will try and keep an eye on it
[/quote]

So many buyers have alerts set that the chances of getting anything in Decos seems remote. Everytime I've gone on, all is sold.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01N7S4FAU/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1501453355&sr=8-19&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=bass+guitar+neck&dpPl=1&dpID=31kE5CGHN8L&ref=plSrch

Would that fit? The standard neck had 20 frets where this has 24

Get in touch with this guy on Ebay. He used to import Mighty Mite necks, that were very good quality and cheap (£100). A rosewood ban has just been implemented and rosewood necks cannot be imported anymore but he may be able to source a maple one for you. I have messaged him previously and he is very helpful. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bluebass320

Try the Kmise necks from Amazon.
Great value for £30.
They are really slim profiles and I believe they have some sort of metal reinforcement.
Can't really go wrong for that sort of money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Maple-Fender-Bass-JAZZ-replacement/dp/B00SSY4MNQ/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1501835353&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=Kmise+jazz+bass+neck&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a maple neck from Aliexpress. £65 delivered. They were selling Jazz style necks but I wanted a wider one and they made one for me, finished in gloss laquer with a yellowish tint that I like, and because it was for a Squier Jazz (it was rosewood and thin) I asked them to reproduce the Squier label etc, which they did, down to the serial number. Pretty happy with it.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1504210211' post='3363477']
Just a thought for the future, Gear4music do a maple or rosewood neck for about 37 quid, I bought the maple one and it's brilliant.
[/quote]

I've got a Gear4Music "P-bass" rosewood neck sitting here doing nothing. I'd part with it for £20 posted.... if anyone wants one?