Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

3 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

You really need a spectral analyzer to decide if something works for you? Wouldn't it be faster to just listen? The pedal is voiced to dUg's specs and he doesn't like the extra high end he hears through the big systems he plays through. The interview demo he does with Pete Thorn he is using the XLR out and there is no shortage of high end. The unit does have a treble control and if you look at his actual settings in the manual he has the highs set around 10 o'clock. The pedal has no shortage of high end. 

Again, it's a dUg Pinnick signature pedal so that should give you an idea of the type of tones it has. It's a pretty cool little pedal. If it's a sound you think you can use, give it a go. If it doesn't work for you, send it back. 

No, I don't need it for that. If the outputs aren't the same then I'd use it to figure out where they differ and how to compensate for the fact.

I'm not questioning whether the thing has enough high end or if it will be great, of that I have very little doubt that it'll kill, just questioning if the outputs have the same signal coming out of them.

24 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Andertons suggest that they get a delivery on the 30th. We shall see what happens.

That would be nice. Although the last few deliveries from Andertons have been several weeks late - for brand new products anyway.

It's almost my birthday and I've actually managed to get the family to fund this! First bass related prezzie from them for decades!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

No, I don't need it for that. If the outputs aren't the same then I'd use it to figure out where they differ and how to compensate for the fact.

I'm not questioning whether the thing has enough high end or if it will be great, of that I have very little doubt that it'll kill, just questioning if the outputs have the same signal coming out of them.

Compensate? Just set it to where it sounds good with whichever output you are using. That's what the eq is for. You might have a preferred setting but chances are you may have to tweak them depending upon the rig you are using and the situation you are in. 

5 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

Compensate? Just set it to where it sounds good with whichever output you are using. That's what the eq is for. You might have a preferred setting but chances are you may have to tweak them depending upon the rig you are using and the situation you are in. 

Sounds like you don't quite get the issue some people have with the way it's set up.

It's set up just right for my rig, as I know my amp and cab is darker than your average PA as I have no tweeters in my cabs. If the signals were matched, I would end up pushing the treble too much and sending an overly bright signal to the PA. Having the XLR put out a darker signal works in this case.

But when you have a rig that is full range and flat response just like the PA, it doesn't work so well. You set the EQ to where your personal amp used for stage monitoring has the right amount of treble content, but the signal going to the desk ends up darker than that. Of course they can bump up the treble at the desk, but then you've got to try and communicate that to the sound engineer. Or you could compensate on the pedal and just put up with an overly bright stage sound knowing that the audience will hear something different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Full range or not a bass rig is not a PA system unless that is what you are using. We do some big outdoor shows with my band with flown line arrays and banks of subs running thousands of watts and a bass amp in comparison is not even close. In a smaller venue your rig is being heard in the room and the PA is there for "reinforcement" and your sound is a composite of your stage amp and the PA.

Adjust your amp so it sounds good through that and unless you're doing some really extreme setting, the FOH should be able to get a sound that works. Let the sound engineer do his job. You're not really in the proper perspective to analyze your tone in the same way the person out front does. In the end you're at the mercy of the sound tech. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

Full range or not a bass rig is not a PA system unless that is what you are using. We do some big outdoor shows with my band with flown line arrays and banks of subs running thousands of watts and a bass amp in comparison is not even close. In a smaller venue your rig is being heard in the room and the PA is there for "reinforcement" and your sound is a composite of your stage amp and the PA.

Adjust your amp so it sounds good through that and unless you're doing some really extreme setting, the FOH should be able to get a sound that works. Let the sound engineer do his job. You're not really in the proper perspective to analyze your tone in the same way the person out front does. In the end you're at the mercy of the sound tech. 

Plenty of people on this forum are using PA gear as their stage monitor though, that's my point:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/315455-interesting-frfr-story/

These people are using setups like this precisely because they are using digital modellers or Sansamps, and want to be able to monitor as accurately as possible what they are sending to the desk via their own rigs. Of course you are at the mercy of the tech, but it's ultimately another variable they have to think about when it would have been nice to have it switchable so that the main out is just like the XLR.

I bet the pedal will work just fine for me, but I can see why others would prefer it to work differently. Constructive criticism and ideas for improvements for future revisions should be taken on board rather than just trying to shoot every argument down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Plenty of people on this forum are using PA gear as their stage monitor though, that's my point:

These people are using setups like this precisely because they are using digital modellers or Sansamps, and want to be able to monitor as accurately as possible what they are sending to the desk via their own rigs. Of course you are at the mercy of the tech, but it's ultimately another variable they have to think about when it would have been nice to have it switchable so that the main out is just like the XLR.

I bet the pedal will work just fine for me, but I can see why others would prefer it to work differently. Constructive criticism and ideas for improvements for future revisions should be taken on board rather than just trying to shoot every argument down.

@dannybuoy read my mind. This ^ was exactly what I meant by this:

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

:/

Methinks the rep doth protest too much...

For me, where on a good deal of gigs we just get line checked as we start I need to know the sound I send to FOH. I may need to tweak the eq on the amp on stage to get what I want but  a great starting point would be that the same sound was being sent to both the amp and FOH.

Look, enough of this bickering.  Yes, I know I'm a Tech21 slut, but that unit sounded the dogs from the very first time I heard it.  Just tweak your settings kids...I'm sure that once you get your mitts on this, you'll forget about all these worries about what it will and won't do.  Much as I loved my GT2 and other stuff and I still love my BDDI and GED, this baby is going to blow those out of the water.

I'm excited as a fat kid waiting for his birthday cake.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

We gladly listen to constructive criticism and comments on are products. Of course it would have a little more validity if the person offering the constructive criticism has actually used or tried the product. The pedal was designed for dUg and end result was what he wanted. I play direct a great deal and placing my wedge on the floor typically doesn't like the same speaker on a stand from 30' away. Many wedges have settings for full range, low cut to reduce floor rumble and a high boost to make vocals intelligible on a noisy stage. The FOH has a mixer with a fair amount of EQ. A good tech will tweak the sound if needed. 

14 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

We gladly listen to constructive criticism and comments on are products. Of course it would have a little more validity if the person offering the constructive criticism has actually used or tried the product.

Much like @dannybuoy I'm absolutely certain that I'd get this pedal to work for me. However, due to my inquisitive nature, I like to know how stuff works and why it's so. I hasten to say this that I don't actually care if the XLR and 1/4 inch outputs deliver the same signal or not as long as I know whether they're different or not. We asked simply if that was the case or not and an answer wasn't really forthcoming. That was what I found curious. Almost like you don't know the answer. If that's the case, then that's fine, just say so.

Neither of us (or anyone on this topic) have criticised the pedal. All of us are really excited. Stoked, for the most part is an accurate description. It sounds brilliant. None of this is in doubt and I've said it many a time. We wouldn't have bought it if we didn't like it would we?

As to the point of having played something to be able to criticize it, that's slightly flawed I'm afraid. For example, when Darkglass brought out the M900 amp they left in a design quirk that meant that when you turned the volume control up, the volume of the DI increased as well. I don't need to play that amp to realise that's a problem easily avoided now do I? 

• Like 1

Having thought about this pedal - and given the fact that I love the sound on the clips - I reckon it will do a job for me pretty well. As many bass cabs are voiced to be, well, bassy, it kind of makes a bit of sense to me that what comes out of the 1/4" has more highs, as this will compensate for the added lows of the cab being used. Initially I was a tad unsure when I heard about the possible difference between XLR and 1/4", now I reckon it will work fine - and my thinking is maybe Dug himself had it designed this way for this reason. Only a guess but it - now - seems a pretty good idea.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:
Tim killing it again, DP3X showing a range of tones 

In isolation I have to say I far prefer the tones he demoed with his GED2112 pre... You can definitely hear the two separate layers here.

HOWEVER I know enough to realise that in the mix all that can go out of the window and it will probably be awesome.

Prime example - I play my BB bass into a B3K direct into headphones, it sounds ok but uninspiring. Mix in a full band though and it sounds perfect. Looking forward to seeing how the dUg pedal performs under the same conditions!

16 minutes ago, cetera said:

Getting REALLY excited for this! Any update on arrival in the UK?!

Andertons website says they expect a delivery on 30th April (Monday)

I suppose after that it depends on how fast places actually start shipping them onwards. With Andertons' buying power it would not surprise me if they've got first dibs.

They've got it cheap too

https://www.andertons.co.uk/tech-21-dug-pinnick-dp-3x-signature-pedal-pre-amp-for-bass-dp3x