Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

21 minutes ago, tonyxtiger said:

While you’re all waiting, let’s play the OCD game...

who can stand it the longest?

AB17FAA9-BA1C-447E-8648-7D711A518E2B.jpeg

I see what you've done there - those floorboards ARE not bookmatched... Tsk.

• Like 1

Haha.

OK that is THREE HUNDRED (yes THREE HUNDRED) posts about something that no one has actually yet tried out in anger..Lol!!

This thread has gotta be the biggest tease of ALL time...but I'm still checking in regularly :facepalm:

Looking forward to the flurry of this is a "f**king amazing / best thing since sliced bread" reviews (that should take care of the next 75 posts?) followed hopefully by some clips of you guys using this baby live and demo'ing what an excellent / or alternatively over-hyped piece of kit this is.

Either way - enjoy the new toy boys, you (and we bystanders!) have all been very patient and your just rewards are imminent :drinks:

• Like 1

Well, my postman has just been. Nothing. I ran out of my front door kicking him to the ground shouting "Where's my pedal motherf@cker!!" When he whimpered that he didn't know what I was talking about through trying to stem the bloodflow from his broken nose, I took out my lead cosh and started..... Well, I'd best leave it there until I get a lawyer......

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha.

OK that is THREE HUNDRED (yes THREE HUNDRED) posts about something that no one has actually yet tried out in anger..Lol!!

This thread has gotta be the biggest tease of ALL time...but I'm still checking in regularly :facepalm:

Looking forward to the flurry of this is a "f**king amazing / best thing since sliced bread" reviews (that should take care of the next 75 posts?) followed hopefully by some clips of you guys using this baby live and demo'ing what an excellent / or alternatively over-hyped piece of kit this is.

Either way - enjoy the new toy boys, you (and we bystanders!) have all been very patient and your just rewards are imminent :drinks:

I’m hoping it’s all of the above without the three weeks later “hmmm not sure, I’m selling it now. “

In all honesty I was a little sceptical, thinking yes, but without low rattley action and drop tuning it’s not going to sound like dUg.

after playing it, I am now down 1 hat.   Delicious. 

I think, because I don’t play a Jazz or have a scooped tone to begin with , like dugs bass, it’s really nice with my gear. 

Usually with pedals...  huge bass yes OR huge clanky top but rarely both. 

I’ve never bonded 100% with sansamps in the past, and I’ve had my share as there was a “plastic” sound in there I could always hear. If that makes sense. 

I think this and the Q strip are a really encouraging step forward for Tech 21. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Well, my postman has just been. Nothing. I ran out of my front door kicking him to the ground shouting "Where's my pedal motherf@cker!!" When he whimpered that he didn't know what I was talking about through trying to stem the bloodflow from his broken nose, I took out my lead cosh and started..... Well, I'd best leave it there until I get a lawyer......

Ahh, that’s balls. Frankly. Sorry to hear that. 

They all left in time for last post so I think it’s just down to geography. I sometimes had this with the rentals. 

Bless the Post, they never lost a single item but sometimes next day just didn’t happen in some areas. 

Should be there tommmorw and if you haven’t topped yourself with frustration by then, Monday. 

The distributor sent them next day to me and they came a day late so this is the knock on unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

Mine's here, cheers Tony the Tiger. It's grrreat!

Just gave it a quick blast through headphones. Main out is noticeable brighter than the XLR, thankfully a XLR to jack cable in conjunction with the ground lift button means I can use the XLR into my headphone amp. Yes it has a headphone amp on board, but this is the same brighter sound as the main jack plus there's no aux in and I don't knoiw where my mini-to-big jack adaptor is!

I will reserve judgement until I've put it through its paces! Oh and if anyone wants to sell me a BDDI v2 give me a shout as I'd love to compare them!

• Like 1

It’s arrived. Stuck it into the fx return of my Tecamp. 

the amount of gain it has is mental and it is a bit hissy at full whack with the gain switch turned on, but not any worse than many other drive pedals. 

When set at a more sensible drive level it’s great, and the underlying clean sound is very good.

• Like 1

I've been testing with my Marleaux which as a rule doesn't do drive very well, but I'm still impressed. The Marleaux is all about the deep clean piano tone. 90% of drive pedals make it sound like stinky poo. The dUg is clearly a 10%-er.

I'll get my P-Ray back from the lech this evening (having a Nordy J Blade put in the bridge) and I'll be able to try it with a more common choice of rock machine. Or at least common choice of pickups.

WARNING - the recommended dUg settings have a frankly stupid amount of low end. Be warned if you are trying it with something with low power handling.

@tonyxtiger

I've just moved up to Loanheid (and loving it)

Glad to hear this has all went well for the folks involved  -discount, delivery (well nearly) and happy customers all round! Look forward to the fxpedals relaunch!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

@tonyxtiger

I've just moved up to Loanheid (and loving it)

Glad to hear this has all went well for the folks involved  -discount, delivery (well nearly) and happy customers all round! Look forward to the fxpedals relaunch!

Cheers @krispn  happy to help the community. I’ll go for happy customers all round when the postie brings the goods tomorrow/Monday for those who were obviously today on Santa’s  “naughty list”

Nice to hear you are local now. I’ll get the kettle on anytime!

the rental side is frustratingly “shelved” at the moment until I can get time. I started it as I was trying to go part time in my other business. I’m now full time again and can’t get enough time to do the rentals justice so until then I’d rather not do it badly. 

I have some interestjng stuff always in and out so Im doing sales from my reverb page until I can clone myself.

hope all is well with you?

Right, just reporting in.

First off, thanks to Darren for sorting this all out.

So, what does this baby sound like?  I plugged it direct into a power amp and just had a noodle.  Immediate opinion?  Well...I also run a GED-2112 and to be honest the dUg is like one of those but on steroids.  While I love the GED, sometimes I do/did kind of feel that while it is a great emulator, you just wanted it to go a little further if you get what I mean.  The dUg just does this in spades, so much so it's more like you want to roll it off a bit.  I've never gotten on with compressors, so the one knob solution does it for me.  So after a brief foray, I'm very pleased. 

The one immediate thing that struck me was that it makes you sound so different, the bass would become an instrument that drives song intros.  You just have this huge tone that sounds so amazing out of the box it would obviate the necessity of have guitar as the lead instrument.  Does this make sense?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

The one immediate thing that struck me was that it makes you sound so different, the bass would become an instrument that drives song intros.  You just have this huge tone that sounds so amazing out of the box it would obviate the necessity of have guitar as the lead instrument.  Does this make sense?

That's why I was confused as to why there wasn't an Entwistle setting as that's the sound I'm expecting under certain settings. Lead bass.

23 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

"You just have this huge tone that sounds so amazing out of the box it would obviate the necessity to have guitar as the lead instrument."  

@Tech21NYC there you go. Can't think you're going to get a better strap line for your next ad! :D

So mine came.......

Its miniscule!

For me it needs a lot of tweak time to get it right and the controls interact with each other all over the place.

I am starting from dUg settings and seeing where it goes, already backing off his compression.

To get the best out of this IMO so far, you need a big signal push up front, and re-EQ. Seems to like an active bass better if you want a grind sound

Early days yet

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Oh stop.:)

But hey, if Tech 21 want to quote me, it's Paul Anthony of the band Lutz. 

I want credit for (a) spotting the potential of your strap line and (b) correcting your typo (which you probably haven't spotted yet) so let me quote it so that (c) it's preserved, before you do and remove the evidence xD

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

You just have this huge tone that sounds so amazing out of the box it would obviate the necessity of have guitar as the lead instrument. 

And that will be Al Krow of the start up ad agency Krow Associates Inc. 

You found yourself a new band then Paul? Good man!

Edited by Al Krow

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I want credit for (a) spotting the potential of your strap line and (b) correcting your slightly dodgy phrasing (which you probably haven't spotted yet) so let me quote it so that (c) it's preserved, before you do xD

And that will be Al Krow of the start up ad agency Krow Associates Inc. 

You found yourself a new band then Paul? Good man!

#chubbyfingersyndrome

Yup, new band.  You know when you laugh so hard the back of your head hurts?  It's like that again.  It's freaking hard work after taking some time off though.

I still like to have a chuckle at the BS the old act continue to spin on Facebook; I look at the single digit likes but refrain from posting that no one is interested. :)

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

#chubbyfingersyndrome

Yup, new band.  You know when you laugh so hard the back of your head hurts?  It's like that again.  It's freaking hard work after taking some time off though.

I still like to have a chuckle at the BS the old act continue to spin on Facebook; I look at the single digit likes but refrain from posting that no one is interested. :)

Well that's great news Paul. I know it was a big thing for you to leave Nancy Johnson as a band you founded, so it's great you've got something new and a challenge! Feel free to post a clip of your new crew playing (it's gotta be more enlightening than several pics of a rabbit, right? xD

So I found a setting that works for me with my BB1025X. Reduce the treble, bump up the mids (shift switch out) and bass, compression  just below noon, gain around 3 o’clock with the gain switch off (clean/bass channel clips otherwise).

Sounds great in the mix in a heavy rock setting. Play lightly and all you can hear is clean bass, dig in and it can get very grindy indeed. One thing that felt odd was playing high up on the D & G strings with a decent amount of compression and hearing a low end thump as if an octaver was switched on!

With this setting, turn off the mix to get a clean tone and it sounds terrible as the EQ settings were tweaked for the other channel. So I would’ve preferred this switch did something else or wasn’t there to make the pedal smaller!