Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

The clean channel is worthless to me as you need drastically different EQ settings for clean vs dirty. I just set the EQ up for the dirt setting then switch the pedal on and off. If one of the other footswitches ever wears out I will have a spare unused one on the left hand side!

If you wanted two channels, I would flick between this and some other Sansamp pedal or preamp.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

Not for being a Bell End, but I will argue slightly that vastly different EQ’s are needed (personal choice obviously) but you can get a good sound for both to flick on and off, there may be some compromise on your fave of each, butbits worth persevering esp if it’s a solution for a pick and go with nothing else, but it is also bass dependent/specific as it is so intuitive it reacts differently 

Edited by Cuzzie

Well I've disowned the clean channel completely, with my setup there's no way I can get it to sound good with flicking between them. Mainly because the dirt is so bright I have to cut the treble - but for a clean sound I want the opposite and could use a treble boost. It's far less of compromise to have bypass as my 'clean channel'!

• Like 2

I was so excited about this pedal when it was first announced........ then saw the form factor and then tried a GED2112 that I didn't get on with so eventually lost interest. 

I've always had a "want to love them more" relationship with Tech 21. Love the ethos and approach, like the VT Bass, never really got the bass driver or RBI .  

After seeing the responses on this thread I ordered one for Andertons on Saturday and it arrived yesterday (nice one Andertons)

I don't know if its the marketing or photos on the website but the form factor is in fact excellent - the pedal is a compact sling in a gig back pocket and go. Not 100% sold on the knobs but time will tell. 

and.......

It does all the things out of the box that I want in an overdrive/pre pedal and more..... sure it's a baked in tone but what a tone and it really is touch sensitive. Agree about the clean channel but  in certain situations it's going to be an always on pedal.

It's my favourite Tech 21 product by a million miles..... it's pricey sure but it will take a compressor, tuner and overdrive pedal out of my signal chain and I can go direct to the PA without a DI Box.

Very excited about using this in a live environment. 

• Like 3

Yes absolutely agreed - and I'm a fan of a particular other high end bass drive pedal maker and think it's absolutely comparable and different at the same time

You can't mention them though or people get their kickers in a twist

I hope one day Barefaced produce a drive pedal..... it would melt the forum.......

• Haha 1

Spent more time fiddling with pedal last night and found some awesome tones!

Currently I'm running it into the front of my old GK400RB and/or GK800RB head and getting some huge, solid low end/sparkling grinding top end tones out of it. I even nailed the Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) Mindcrime/Empire era bass tone that has always been my fave. Of course, the Spector and GK I'm using helped with the authenticity B|

The heavily compressed, highly distorted tones are fun but I can see myself using it 95% of the time on lighter settings. Lovely stuff!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cetera said:

Spent more time fiddling with pedal last night and found some awesome tones!

Currently I'm running it into the front of my old GK400RB and/or GK800RB head and getting some huge, solid low end/sparkling grinding top end tones out of it. I even nailed the Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) Mindcrime/Empire era bass tone that has always been my fave. Of course, the Spector and GK I'm using helped with the authenticity B|

The heavily compressed, highly distorted tones are fun but I can see myself using it 95% of the time on lighter settings. Lovely stuff!

Nice - Mindcrime/Empire is possibly one of the best bass tones ever. Even on feeble car speakers it sounds awesome - such grind!

• Like 1

On 15/05/2018 at 14:11, cetera said:

This is very pleasing.

• Thanks 1

Anyone interested in recreating a dUg style signal chain but with other pedals, you could do a lot worse than to pick this up. It's a dual band compressor that had separate outputs for the high and low bands. So send your highs to a distorted guitar amp for example, or into a distortion pedal then blend back together with the lows with an LS-2 or such.

You can also pull off a similar sound with a Helix HX. I was fooling around with the crossovers, compressors, EQs and a Rat model and wasn't far off! Still preferred the dUg though and wasn't prepared to spend hours tweaking it to get there!

23 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Only 1 week old? Blimey. He could have returned it for a refund if it was ordered online.

Hey - that's a really good point. Wonder if he's realised...? You might want to PM him to let him know and he'll be very grateful I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...