Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

30 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I do wonder why Tech21 didn't put a little button on it for that though. 

Exactly. I suspect just like the Geddy it'll be for reasons of "signature authenticity." When we get it we can see how it is. Not in the manual though which is odd.

• Like 1

Maybe the XLR isn't really darker, maybe the 1/4" is brighter... While the pedal was in development dUg used it on tour through a multitude of amps and different PA systems and the filters were set to his specifications. He prefers going into the efx returns when using backline amps though that isn't always an option. In those cases he just plugs the pedal in front of the amp.  My suggestion would be to try the pedal for yourself and not come to tonal conclusions from something you read on a forum.

In the video interview with Pete Thorn they are using the XLR output and there is no shortage of high end.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

Maybe the XLR isn't really darker, maybe the 1/4" is brighter... While the pedal was in development dUg used it on tour through a multitude of amps and different PA systems and the filters were set to his specifications. He prefers going into the efx returns when using backline amps though that isn't always an option. In those cases he just plugs the pedal in front of the amp.  My suggestion would be to try the pedal for yourself and not come to tonal conclusions from something you read on a forum.

In the video interview with Pete Thorn they are using the XLR output and there is no shortage of high end.

The main question I have.....

when will mine arrive!!!!!! :) 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2018 at 17:40, dannybuoy said:

There was a similar fuss kicked up over the Geddy preamp, which has separate outputs for the high and low channels with no option for a blended output and also no bypass switch without opening the unit up and changing jumper settings.

You don't need to open the unit up...

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

You don't need to open the unit up...

According to this you do:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/my-method-of-using-ged-2112-sansamp-through-one-amp.1297080/#post-21059000

“I contacted Tech 21 and they sent me a download showing a diagram with two internal jumpers that sit right next to each other When the first one is reversed it combines the drive and deep channels allowing you to use one cable from the unit to your amp. The other jumper allows you to use the function switch as a bypass instead of a mute. The tech at my local store made these modifications while I watched and it took less than a minute. By eliminating the Morley ab/y box I was using to combine the two signals I eliminated nearly all of my background noise/hum from my amp and the unit still sounds great. The bottom panel of unit must be removed(six screws) to make these changes which are just as easily reversed if so desired.”

15 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

Thanks guys, always nice to hear actual specs from the companies themselves, and Tech21 are always good with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

As we wait delivery, here is another sample clip. It’s different to the others that were out there.

In his comments he even stated he wished he had read the manual to see how the controls work properly, he would have dialled tones in easier. Even the Pro’s need guidance

https://instagram.com/p/Bh8i7seFZDy/

Matthew's videos are some of the best out there... Pedal sounds great here!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

Maybe the XLR isn't really darker, maybe the 1/4" is brighter... 

So, they're not the same?

This answer reads like the famous Kenny Dalglish reply in a post match interview when he managed Celtic a few years ago. Sick and tired of being asked stupid questions by knucklehead reporters, he simply said "Maybe's aye.... Maybe's no."

There were days I would have went spare with the answer of "maybe" to a direct question like this. Now, I just laugh as it always makes me think of that interview.

I'll record with this thing the minute I get it and put it through a spectral analyser. Answers will be forthcoming as to whether they're the same or not, by looking at the outputs from both channels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

As we wait delivery, here is another sample clip. It’s different to the others that were out there.

In his comments he even stated he wished he had read the manual to see how the controls work properly, he would have dialled tones in easier. Even the Pro’s need guidance

https://instagram.com/p/Bh8i7seFZDy/

Sounds great. I'd love to see his settings.

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

They are not the same. Re-read the post - "Maybe the XLR isn't really darker, maybe the 1/4" is brighter...". Both are saying the same thing - the XLR is darker than the 1/4".

As far as I'm concerned, this only matters to:

• Those running FRFR rigs that want their on-stage monitoring to faithfully recreate what's going to the PA
  • Those using the 1/4" out to go to further FX before going to another DI, or headphone setup

Not an insignificant number of people. Personally, I would be running it into a phaser and delay then into headphones and would appreciate the same level of speaker simulation as applied to XLR. So yeah, a switch would've been nice! But if the difference between the two is subtle, most could just tweak the treble content to suit in other ways, using the tone controls on your amp or tweeter control on your cab for example.

3 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

They are not the same. Re-read the post - "Maybe the XLR isn't really darker, maybe the 1/4" is brighter...". Both are saying the same thing - the XLR is darker than the 1/4".

My point is "maybe" isnt an answer.

It's dependent on the way you read that. It's a non-definitive statement.

"Maybe this isn't really, maybe this is." 

I await the Tech21 response echoing Michael Biehn's interrogation scene in The Terminator when asked about the time travel machine gets very angry and just shouts "I didn't build the f@cking thing!!" 

I hasten to say, I'm not being belligerent about this. Just the lack of a straight answer seems odd. Ultimately, nobody knows the answer except them and we'll find out soon enough. Even if they are different, hopefully it won't be a problem.

7 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

According to this you do:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/my-method-of-using-ged-2112-sansamp-through-one-amp.1297080/#post-21059000

“I contacted Tech 21 and they sent me a download showing a diagram with two internal jumpers that sit right next to each other When the first one is reversed it combines the drive and deep channels allowing you to use one cable from the unit to your amp. The other jumper allows you to use the function switch as a bypass instead of a mute. The tech at my local store made these modifications while I watched and it took less than a minute. By eliminating the Morley ab/y box I was using to combine the two signals I eliminated nearly all of my background noise/hum from my amp and the unit still sounds great. The bottom panel of unit must be removed(six screws) to make these changes which are just as easily reversed if so desired.”

There's a later 'fix' that doesn't require doing anything with the jumpers internally.  On the rear facia, you can run a patch cable from the deep channel into the return on the effects loop.  Then just depress the 'Mix 50/50'button and hey presto, mono output.

The front panel knobs work much the same, except the Deep channel output is combined with the Drive channel and the Drive Level One knob on the Drive channel works as an overall output control.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

This answer reads like the famous Kenny Dalglish reply in a post match interview when he managed Celtic a few years ago. Sick and tired of being asked stupid questions by knucklehead reporters, he simply said "Maybe's aye.... Maybe's no."

There were days I would have went spare with the answer of "maybe" to a direct question like this. Now, I just laugh as it always makes me think of that interview.

I'll record with this thing the minute I get it and put it through a spectral analyser. Answers will be forthcoming as to whether they're the same or not, by looking at the outputs from both channels.

You really need a spectral analyzer to decide if something works for you? Wouldn't it be faster to just listen? The pedal is voiced to dUg's specs and he doesn't like the extra high end he hears through the big systems he plays through. The interview demo he does with Pete Thorn he is using the XLR out and there is no shortage of high end. The unit does have a treble control and if you look at his actual settings in the manual he has the highs set around 10 o'clock. The pedal has no shortage of high end. 

Again, it's a dUg Pinnick signature pedal so that should give you an idea of the type of tones it has. It's a pretty cool little pedal. If it's a sound you think you can use, give it a go. If it doesn't work for you, send it back. 

• Like 4