Why become a member? ×

Ed Sheeran

Curious to know what he was doing in Game of Thrones.

Actually that's a tad ambiguous as it leaves open the possibility of a smartarse answer like 'singing, mostly...'. Allow me to rephrase it a little:

[size=5]What the f*** was Ed Sheeran doing in Game of Thrones, and who the f*** decided [i]that [/i]was a good idea?[/size]

There, that captures it a bit better I think.

Edited by leftybassman392

As far as I am aware, they have had a few cameos from musicians and other famous fans of the show but none as prominent as Ed before I don't think. I don't hate the bloke and I am usually pretty relaxed about everything, but it annoyed me for some reason.

Wilko Johnson has been in it, so have members of Mastodon, Sigur Ros, Will Champion from Coldplay, Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol, of Monsters and Men, there are more as well.

As mentioned, others have been in but as very background characters with very few lines if any. The Sheeran spot felt forced, almost like a SNL sketch or something. I know in the books Arya does come across a singing soldier so it fits but he didn't need to go "yeah, it's a new one". One shot of his face singing would have been enough to show he was there like the other "guest spots"

Anyway, it's done now :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1500457634' post='3337869']
What on earth is 'Game Of Thrones'? :ph34r:
[/quote]I think it's one of these programs that aren't on any freeview channels, where there's a load of hype so us with only freeview rush out to get sky or netflix, sorry won't work, my freeview recorder is already nearly full of stuff I'll probably never have time to watch.
Mind you I might get round to watching more stuff if I spent less time on here :)

Edited by PaulWarning

Ed Sheeran is a spectacularly successful world wide brand. GOT will probably increase it's appeal and reach into audiences that currently don't watch. It's business. Beats me why anyone should have negative thoughts about this or be bothered one way or the other!

Popular shows have always cameoed well known people and things.

With things it's called product placement, but either way it's always about increasing revenue.

I think that this sort of thing is part of its charm. A little lighthearted fun to make the violence all the more horrific. It helps to balance out all the political intrigue and the blood and gore. If it didn't have this lighter side, all that seriousness could get a bit much or, even worse, people might get desensitised to the more shocking elements.

I like Ed Sheehan (though I have not bothered to give his music a proper go, he seems like a nice bloke), and he looked the part (he has a slightly inbred look to his face...).

He also has a huge fan base. So he probably brings along any of his fans that weren't previously fans of the show. I think there is only one more series after this one, but there are plans for spin-offs, and the more fans the show has, the more time and money will go into those. The more fans the show has, the less likely the producers are to feel the need to compromise on production and the shows plots and heavier elements. I think.

Edit: Yeah, what Chris_b said.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1500459553' post='3337890']
I think it's one of these programs that aren't on any freeview channels, where there's a load of hype so us with only freeview rush out to get sky or netflix, sorry won't work, my freeview recorder is already nearly full of stuff I'll probably never have time to watch.
Mind you I might get round to watching more stuff if I spent less time on here :)
[/quote]

Or alternatively download for nothing using torrent sites that gives you the programme in HD and with no ad breaks at all. ;)
Know what you mean though, I've still got unwatched stuff on my TalkTalk box that I recorded back end of last year.

Edited by KevB

Just me then. Fair enough.

Probably worth mentioning that I don't like these kind of cameos in any kind of dramatic production (although, actually, yes I do understand why they're done). Distracts from the main story IMHO, and rarely if ever serves any plot-related purpose. If it's a walk-on part with no actual speaking then fair enough as it doesn't get in the way. As it was, it broke the flow of the story completely (for me at least).

Also worth saying that I don't have anything against the guy or his music. Guess I just have to hope the character either never gets seen again or meets an unpleasant but otherwise anonymous demise.

Oh, and no, I don't read the books (close reading for any length of time gives me pounding headaches these days). Why: does Ed Sheeran get mentioned by name?

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1500464364' post='3337963']
Just me then. Fair enough.

Probably worth mentioning that I don't like these kind of cameos in any kind of dramatic production (although, actually, yes I do understand why they're done). Distracts from the main story IMHO, and rarely if ever serves any plot-related purpose. If it's a walk-on part then fair enough as it doesn't get in the way.

Also worth saying that I don't have anything against the guy or his music. Guess I just have to hope the character either never gets seen again or meets an unpleasant but otherwise anonymous demise.
[/quote]

Nope, not just you, I don't like them either, I think it interferes with the art. Having said that I've never watched GoT.....my wife asked our son what it was about and he said...Fighting, intrigue, sex, incest, more sex...but mostly fighting. Needless to say she's not watched it either - Jane Austen is more her type of thing

I've got a mate who works as an extra for the stuff shot in Northern Ireland (not for the last couple of series though) and he was there when Mastodon did their bit. If it's anything like when they showed up then it'll be far more about the producers thinking "this'll be cool" than any specific marketing plan to expand the "brand".

I do like the show but apparently it no longer follows the novels. That kind of makes sense as it was about that point I started to notice it changed (and I had no clue the novels had 'finished' at this point).

I'll still watch it but it's golden days have past for now. This first episode was ok, perhaps a little slow, but Ed did not need to be in it.

There was always going to be an issue with the timing, they klnew about it ages ago. He's a very slow writer so it was inevitable that the TV series (short of taking an enforced break from filming, never going to happen) was going to catch up with the novels before the book series was finished. It actually puts the writer in a bit of a hole as he could decide to do something totally different at the end compared to how the TV series will end which would be slightly unusual. Hopefully he will give the TV writers a few pointers and the general storylines will be the same but the finer details between books and TV may differ which is quite normal. Never read any of the books but I'm told they arent actually that great a read and borrow a lot off some obscure French novels from a long time ago.

Not watched the whole episode yet, as I'm a couple of seasons behind, but I've no problem with the idea at all.
I did find the scene on youtube, and I think it was well done...Ed sang well, and nothing seemed forced or out of place...
apart from the very odd notion that, after all she's been through, young Arya would willingly stop for a meal with a bunch of soldiers alone in a forest...

The song reminded me of John Tams singing 'O'er the hills and far away' in the Sharpe TV series.
And that's no faint praise...

There's been loads of cameos from musicians... so not too worried about this.

Wilco Johnson as the executioner was the best so far.

We've had Sigur Ros too, and members of Snow Patrol, Coldplay...

I'm deliberately ignoring the fact that Bronn is the Jerome from Robson and Jerome

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1500477853' post='3338118']
There was always going to be an issue with the timing, they klnew about it ages ago. He's a very slow writer so it was inevitable that the TV series (short of taking an enforced break from filming, never going to happen) was going to catch up with the novels before the book series was finished. It actually puts the writer in a bit of a hole as he could decide to do something totally different at the end compared to how the TV series will end which would be slightly unusual. Hopefully he will give the TV writers a few pointers and the general storylines will be the same but the finer details between books and TV may differ which is quite normal. Never read any of the books but I'm told they arent actually that great a read and borrow a lot off some obscure French novels from a long time ago.
[/quote]
My wife and I really enjoyed the books, but then we're big fantasy fans anyway. My wife was livid when the latest book came out and it was a bloomin' prequel!

Still, he's not as slow as Jeff Long.