Why become a member? ×

Anthony Jackson

Bilbo

• 2 months later...

I must say, I guess my music tastes are very different to most people here. The main bass playing I do is big band, swing bands and similar, then show and theatre work. I have just bought a copy of Michel Camilo-One More Once, which is the CD that youtube clip is taken from. The CD is much tighter, sections sound pretty much perfection!!
Anthony Jackson is my idol! I love everything about his playing, and he completely changes the sound of Michels band, and brings it alive! I'd absolutely love to meet the guy!!!
One More Once is a CD I listen to over and over and over, its just awesome!!!

Songs without lyrics shouldn't have names? What like 90% of classical, 70% of Jazz and plenty from every other style under the sun?
Anthony and all the musicians in this band have played with tons of singes, groups and bands. I don't hear sterile playing, I hear top musicians (not just technically either) playing good music. I've transcribed and can play most of the songs from the CD this track comes from and I hear great crossover latin jazz/hard swing with fantastic arrangements and top notch, sensitive playing. Tbh even if the music isn't your taste have a go at trying to play the bass line :)

Nice to see some love for my compatriot Michel Camilo, I remember that gig, it was my first Jazz concert ever. Thanks Bilbo for the video and the memories you brought back.

To the people who criticise the music as being "soulless" I think you miss the point, to characterize that piece as soulless you need first to have listen to latin music and then you will understand the context of the tune, it is all about having fun. Because it doesn't contain any Rock, Funk or Soul element it doesn't make it soulless. I know that everyone to it's own but a bit of education goes a long way.

Sorry if this sounded a bit patronizing lads.

Edited by Mcgiver69

[quote name='XB26354' post='373388' date='Jan 7 2009, 07:11 PM']Songs without lyrics shouldn't have names? What like 90% of classical, 70% of Jazz and plenty from every other style under the sun?
Anthony and all the musicians in this band have played with tons of singes, groups and bands. I don't hear sterile playing, I hear top musicians (not just technically either) playing good music. I've transcribed and can play most of the songs from the CD this track comes from and I hear great crossover latin jazz/hard swing with fantastic arrangements and top notch, sensitive playing. Tbh even if the music isn't your taste have a go at trying to play the bass line :)[/quote]
I agree !
I must be a fantastic player because i can play the "greatest bassline ever" according to bassguitar magazine "peaches" by the stanglers in my sleep !! :huh:

[quote name='XB26354' post='373388' date='Jan 7 2009, 07:11 PM']Songs without lyrics shouldn't have names? What like 90% of classical, 70% of Jazz and plenty from every other style under the sun?
Anthony and all the musicians in this band have played with tons of singes, groups and bands. I don't hear sterile playing, I hear top musicians (not just technically either) playing good music. I've transcribed and can play most of the songs from the CD this track comes from and I hear great crossover latin jazz/hard swing with fantastic arrangements and top notch, sensitive playing. Tbh even if the music isn't your taste have a go at trying to play the bass line :)[/quote]
Would you mind letting me have a copy of your transcriptions at all? Depending, I would even buy some transcriptions! I'd love to get some of Anthonys transcriptions to study his playing in greater depth! He is just awesome!!
Thanks very much!! Matt :huh:

[quote name='overwater#1' post='373725' date='Jan 8 2009, 12:17 AM']Would you mind letting me have a copy of your transcriptions at all? Depending, I would even buy some transcriptions! I'd love to get some of Anthonys transcriptions to study his playing in greater depth! He is just awesome!!
Thanks very much!! Matt :)[/quote]
Tbh if you can't work them out you'll struggle to play them - the chart for Why Not (as compressed as I can get it whilst still being legible) is 6 pages... of course if you can work them out but just don't have the time then the tracks on Rendezvous and One More Once are rewarding, if next to impossible in places (e.g. El Realejo!)
I'm in the process of putting a load of AJ transcriptions together and will start a Website up once I've got everything sorted.
I've posted a transcription of Chaka Khan's We Can Work It Out over in Theory and Technique as a taster - if you're really interested PM me and I'll see what I can do :huh:
Cheers
Mat

I have to say that I have nothing but respect for Anthony Jackson both as a player and as a pioneer of the "contrabass guitar".

I also have to say that I'm not a big jazz fan but the Big Band stuff and the trio with AJ and Horacia Hernandez was very cool. Didn't quite get the Mike Stern stuff, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

After reading [b]Overwater#1[/b]'s post I'm going to find the One More Once CD and give it a go. I could even turn into a latin jazz fan.......

[quote name='ARGH' post='373514' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:20 PM']Kinda makes you wonder why they bother making 4 string basses anymore.[/quote]

Bizarrely enough, some bassists still don't have egos big enough to fit a 6-string bass. Some do, but tried a 6-string bass, realised they didn't necessarily need one and didn't enjoy looking like a total anorak while wearing one, so they went back to 4 strings.

To be fair the one good thing about 6 string basses is that they make some people think having even more strings can be legitimately explained as being a necessity for self-expression, which gives the rest of us a good laugh.

[quote name='7string' post='374695' date='Jan 9 2009, 12:58 AM']After reading [b]Overwater#1[/b]'s post I'm going to find the One More Once CD and give it a go. I could even turn into a latin jazz fan.......[/quote]
Definitely can't go wrong if you're into latin/big band jazz! It's fun and inspiring to here it! I got my copy from BadLands Music on Ebay.

That Michel Camillo track "From Within" was my first proper exposure to Mr. Jackson, and having loved that one I went on to find more of his stuff and got into the Chaka tracks. He's a big inspiration for why I play a 6. I love Anthony's playing and really look up to him as a player, but god am I scared of him!

I'm scared of the dark, but only because it's easier for Anthony so conceal himself and jump out at me to tell me how disappointed he is in me.......

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='321521' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:54 AM']When Jackson toured the UK with Michel Petrucianni, he was about 8-stone. Thin as a rake. Bizarre but he didn't look much like Eddie Murphy (more like a thin Anthony Jackson ;))[/quote]

Petrucianni died before the last millenium so that's a good 9 years or 10 years now. I saw the Camillo Trio from the front dinner table at the 5 Spot in NYC in '95. Michel Camillo played with a smile, a rotund AJ snarled as he played and they both played with a drum machine, the DWeckl1995. AJ was highly protective of his instrument after each set, and he clung on to it. For all his musciality, and ideas about gear - FWIW I never liked his Fodera tone, and still don 't. I liked his tone better when he was with Al Dimeola/Jan Hammer/S Gadd, and always thought it was the Smith bass, but he has revealed it was a Fender J on the recording.

• 11 years later...