Why become a member? ×

Buying a new bass with a budget of £1150

Jaykingfunk

So I've been fortunate enough to come into some money I wasn't expecting. I need to fix the car, put some money away for holiday and the kids bedrooms could do with redecorating. So I've decided I need another bass instead.

Years ago I played a Sandberg, not sure of the model but I liked it. Tempted by a California VM5 or similar. Anybody got one and can tell my what it's like? Or anyone selling one?

Basses I've got already: Musicman SUB (USA), Warwick Thumb BO 5 and a MIM Fender jazz Deluxe 5.

I like the idea of having something with a P pickup on it to get a different sound to what I've already got. Faveourite style to play is funk/soul but currently doing most of my gigging in a Mod band so something with a bit more 'bite' would probably be good.

Any recommendations?

Cheers, J.

In b4 Maruszczyk is recommended. Custom bass made to your spec in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, see the thread here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254344-the-official-maruszczyk-club/page__pid__3336039__st__2040#entry3336039 .

Or P pickup ready to go, you could look at Yamaha BB series. New ones on the way so the higher end older models 1024/2024 are on offer and apparently incredible passive basses.

Best of luck on your search!

Edited by BassApprentice

If it were me, I'd be looking at Yamaha BB1024X or 5 string version, Fender 50's RW P or a used Dingwall Combustion (or NG2) for around that money. A used Spector Euro LX 5 could sneak on to that list too....

Edited by Bigwan

Sandberg are great and a VM will suit you nicely, P presence but the M adds more cut.
The Sandberg in house pups are more vintage and the Delano's they use more hi-fi.

Can't argue with what other people have said either, just got to get out and play them!

On another note how about an Olinto P bass made by Mas Hino, they look the beans

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1500301668' post='3336767']
On another note how about an Olinto P bass made by Mas Hino, they look the beans
[/quote]

Add another $1000 onto the price and you're just about there I think ;)

Si

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1500326746' post='3337014']
Only one choice for my money... build your own. [url="https://public-peace.de/configurator/jake-c/"]Go nuts.[/url]
[/quote]

Hard to keep below budget nowadays though!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1500326746' post='3337014']
Only one choice for my money... build your own. [url="https://public-peace.de/configurator/jake-c/"]Go nuts.[/url]
[/quote]

Wow, wish I had seen this 12 months ago! Just made my perfect bass for Euro1300.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1500398835' post='3337486']
Wow, wish I had seen this 12 months ago! Just made my perfect bass for Euro1300.
[/quote]

There's a chap on here from Newcastle who had one of these built. I don't know what it plays like but the videos he's posted on YouTube sound fantastic.

I was in the process of ordering one of these, but I got sideswiped by an AVRI P that came up for sale on here. I'm still not entirely sure that was the right decision, but you pays your money ...