Why become a member? ×

squier comparison

nikon F

I`ve just picked up a VM 70s Precision. Nice bass, very light, once set-up and new strings on it I reckon it will be fine. For just over £100 it`s a great bass, I`ll only use it as a backup but it`s amazing how good the cheaper instruments are now, in comparison to what was around when I started.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1500349408' post='3337078']
Personally I'd go used MIM. I think my 2013 MIM P is really really good My MIA is only better due to the hardware and electronics and the rolled board edges.
[/quote]

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1500366865' post='3337194']
If I was looking at a budget of £350, I'd probably go for a second hand MIM. Or try to stretch to a CIJ 62 reissue (might be too much of a stretch, given the consideration of the Affinity)
[/quote]

I thought about MIM but didn't recommend it, basically because I believe a secondhand MIM is nowadays a significant step up in price from a new VM Squier. And a Japanese Fender is probably another step up again. I recently bought a new (to me) bass and found that the idea of picking up a reasonable condition, reasonable price MIM is basically a bit of a fantasy now.

However if you can step up in price, then its worth considering - but its a step up in price and opens a whole new world of other basses too, of course.....

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1500243650' post='3336491']

Yes, with a bit of work an affinity can be a really good bass, assuming you have one that doesn't have any issues like an unstable neck to start with. The guy in the other thread has installed a 62 CS pickup (£120 worth, equivalent for jazz would be £180) and a set of TI flats (£45). A bit of work on the frets, swap the pots and add a decent set of tuners and you'll have a bass that will play fantastic... but by that point you'll have spent enough money to get a solid second hand CIJ Fender.
[/quote]

Not always true. I have a 10 year old Affinity P bass. I spent no more than about 60 quid on a Tonerider pickup and KiOgon loom and my band won't let me play anything else.

thanks for all the replies ,,,,,ive now had the chance to handle a jazz ,,,,and whilst it was good ,,,,I cant see that's it adds anything to the p ,,,,,,,,maybe its because I'm not tuned in like most people are on here. don't forget I'm old probably a bit deaf from too much shooting without ear protection ,,,,maybe it was the start of gas ,,,,,but ive been through all that with cameras before so I'm not going down that route with guitars as I havnt won the lottery yet . so ill stay with the p's ( bob )/ thanks for all the replies always very useful to someone like me starting out on the ( not so long ) journey into noise ,,,,,,,hopefully it will be music at some point .......more questions to follow in another thread later thanks again. Andy

[quote name='oldbass' timestamp='1500303919' post='3336787']
Had to sell my vintage bass for the money so went out and looked for a replacement. Guy at PMT took down a box with a VM P in it. I was surprised. Weight is 7 3/4 pounds with perfect balance, its nicely made and sounds very good and I'm a tweaker so I rolled the fret board, fitted a vintage RI bridge and PU's though it didnt really need it.
I now have a very giggable lightweight keeper.
[b]Its also worth remembering that the VM range are made from Basswood which is softer than Alder but no probs so far.
[/quote][/b]

The natural wood ones tend to be Alder as it has a better grain and is harder than Basswood: the downside is they are heavier than the colours. Had a VM Jazz that was too heavy, even for me....

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1500928328' post='3341171']
[/b]

The natural wood ones tend to be Alder as it has a better grain and is harder than Basswood: the downside is they are heavier than the colours. Had a VM Jazz that was too heavy, even for me....
[/quote]

Luck of the draw??

My natural VM 70s jazz is bob on 9lbs. I think it's swamp ash, but I'm not 100% on that.

Edit: I stand corrected, apparently it's 'soft maple', whatever that is.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1500230603' post='3336358']
Hi Blue. The VM is made in Indonesia more than likely by Cort.
[/quote]

Interesting, when I hear Indonesia I always think bolt on neck.

Is yours a set neck or bolt on?

Blue

I've had a VM Jazz and a VM Precision. Jazz was good, Precision poor and sold it on quite quickly. I've also had a poor MIM and a good MIM (Roger Waters) so it very much depends on the individual instrument down the lower end of the range as the QC is probably not of the same calibre as at the other end. My favourite budget Bass was my Chinese made CVP, spot on quality and playability, but I've just bought a Revalation Jazz for under £200 and it's really really good.