Why become a member? ×

Warwick Justin Chancellor?

I bet he just fancied having one built, perhaps for some recording and Warwick said, have it for free if we can do a video. Who wouldn't say yes to that, especially if there's no exclusivity claus. Bet the p'ups are Nordies take on the Wal p'ups, interesting.

I like how the video is shot, whoever put it together is obviously a fan of their videos, or certainly done their homework.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1500047125' post='3335371']
I bet he just fancied having one built, perhaps for some recording (although apparently the new album is "95% done", and Warwick said, have it for free if we can do a video. Who wouldn't say yes to that, especially if there's no exclusivity claus. Bet the p'ups are Nordies take on the Wal p'ups, interesting.

I like how the video is shot, whoever put it together is obviously a fan of their videos, or certainly done their homework.

Si
[/quote]

If Nordstrand have made multicoil pickups, I'd certainly be interested in hearing them

Pickups are [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nordstrand customs according to spec.[/font][/color]
[url="http://warwick.de/de/Warwick--Produkte--Instrumente--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Basic-Bass-Models--Streamer--Streamer-Stage-II--Streamer-Stage-II-4-Strings--Streamer-Stage-II---17-3377--4-Saiten--Ausstattung.html"][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://warwick.de/de/Warwick--Produkte--Instrumente--Customshop---Masterbuilt--Basic-Bass-Models--Streamer--Streamer-Stage-II--Streamer-Stage-II-4-Strings--Streamer-Stage-II---17-3377--4-Saiten--Ausstattung.html[/font][/color][/url]

The pickups will just be the blade versions of the Bigman pickups I would think, not multi coil Wal esque I wouldn't think, but killer pickups all the same.

Craftmanship on new Warwicks is stunning, look at that neck...

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1500057882' post='3335441']
Looks nice and if stops a few 'I need a Wal to have a bass sound like Tool' forum posts then I'm all for it.
[/quote]

Ahh, but maybe they want to sound like Paul D'Amour!

However, on a serious note, I think it was about 6 months ago Chancellor had the pickups ripped out of his green mk3 wal and had these put in. It didn't sound anything special afterwards. Whilst he is often imitated and outright copied, he has never been surpassed in his own way. He might not be the most important or technically proficient in people's opinions or in comparison to other bass players, but his sonic adventurousness is what sets him apart in many ways.

As a Wal owner myself, he is why I own one, but I've never sought to copy him at all. I'd be very surprised if he uses that Warwick bass on the next Tool album (if it ever comes out!).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Tool and really rate Justin Chancellor. I even tried a Wal mk I but once I tried it I just didn't think it it was any nicer than the basses I already had. Horses for courses and all that, as I'm guessing a lot of folk would have preferred that particular Wal to any of my basses I owned at the time!

Looking forward to the new album when it eventually hits. Can't believe it has been 11 years since I saw them live touring 10,000 Days though...

They are not multi coils, and the pickup placement on the Warwick is totally different than where they would be on a Wal.

As Wolverine mentioned, JC had loaned his greenburst Mk3 as the test mule for these, and quite frankly they didn't sound like Wal pickups...I had people mad at me for saying that (including Mr Nordy himself).

Edited by mikeswals

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1500501730' post='3338359']
And it's not a filter based preamp - BMT... not going to sound in the slightest bit Wal-like...
[/quote]

I suspect Justin probably doesn't care....it's a free bass!

Si

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1500397693' post='3337477']
Justin's simply not trying hard enough with his custom Warwick.

Where's the ridiculous shape? The graphics that look as though they were done by a 5 year old?

Amateur...
[/quote]

this.

Justin actually allowed Carey to use the body of one of his Wals with his prototype dual blades, as mentioned earlier......and loaded it with one of his preamps.....

earlier this year he was featured in a bass mag and you can still see it loaded with the dual blades...

Carey also built this bass for Justin with the said pickups.....

i don't believe they (Carey) were trying to cop the Wal sound, but only the esthetics. it does look rather eye pleasing IMO =)

There's an interview on SBL with Carey where he mentions he had no interest in recreating the Wal pickups, he just wanted to offer his own take on tone to Justin. He's not in competition with the Wal sound, but if he can add something to Justin's armoury, then everyone wins.

Si