Why become a member? ×

Soundcloud's demise is apparently imminent.

ambient

Well I took the plunge and renewed my SC subscription. Word on the web is that £40 million is apparently "chump change" for potential buyers and SC's reach/user base is seen as having value, given that its widgets are integrated all over the 'net.

TL/DR: I definitely work in the wrong profession.

Edited by Skol303

However now would be a good time just to check that you actually have reachable copies of anything on Soundcloud elsewhere. I discovered that one of the tracks I have on there was from an earlier machine and the copy I thought I had didn't actually work on my new pc.

I for one would be pretty devastated if Soundcloud closed. I've got hundreds of favourited tracks by a truckload of artists who I otherwise would never have had a hope of discovering. I use it in the bathroom, in bed, while cooking, walking, on public transport etc.

Fingers crossed they can stick around.

• 3 weeks later...

I've only really used Soundcloud to upload the odd track for sharing with band members. To be brutal, honestly couldn't care less if it stays or goes.

The app is horrific really; it just seems to take over your phone and you can't seem to switch off the audio even after you've shut it down. The web version is equally lumpy.

These services come and go and whoever injected funds into this has lost their investment.

^^^^
Just press/tap/click stop.....What's difficult about that ? :D

I think Soundcloud has been great for Musicians (certainly for me) and I am glad that it lives on.
It's really been mismanaged, there is a great opportunity for money making there.
Even a monthly subscription of $1 per month for uploading (or even adds) would bring in shed loads of dosh, it has a huge amount of users who find Soundcloud invaluable.
Of course, just uploading an odd track for band members, paying a small subscription might not be so appealing.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1502610397' post='3352393']
Just press/tap/click stop.....What's difficult about that ? :D
[/quote]

Well, wouldn't that be dreamy? :)

If I close an app, it should stop working, just like it does for Spotify, Chrome, Neko Atsume(!) and so on.

It shouldn't however keep running, pasting itself over my screensaver and making me have to restart my S7 Edge to shut it down.