Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Tribute Kit

SpondonBassed

I wanted to put my mark on this and the supplied Pit Bull Guitars transfer was too big to go between the machine heads on the headstock. I decided to replace the truss adjustment cover with one of my own.
Ibby29Cropped.thumb.JPG.33f5ab012760a0cc6a5a4f780a313dd1.JPG

I must practice more with my engraving.
Ibby30Cropped.JPG.78feac7d10672e081d1c98b001d4df64.JPG

Still, this will be behind the strings so I'm happy enough. I had originally wanted to make the cover from a piece of "copper" sheet that was handy. When it came to, the sheet was actually brass flashed with copper and finished with lacquer. I was annealing the piece I had cut out with a blowtorch when I noticed. Seeing how it looked finished it was for the best. Copper would have been a bit gaudy in comparison to the polished brass. The brass compliments the frets already but I reckon it will look subtle yet blingy nuff when it's all strung.
Ibby31Cropped.thumb.JPG.10a1a2fc9cd445b3f89be1f0357e34df.JPG

Edited by SpondonBassed

The engraving looks pretty neat to me...is that all freehand?

Thanks Andy. You can never see stuff of your own through fresh eyes.

Yes, freehand. I printed a reduced image of the logo to copy from and pencilled it in, using leader lines, directly onto the brass. I followed up with the engraver using a tungsten carbide tip. I am capable of better but it's been a long time since I was able to do that sort of close work. I have vari-focals now and a bench lamp with a massive magnifier built in. Much easier.

If I do any great amount of engraving down the line I must modify the engraver or get one that's comfortable to use. That knurled collar is cruelty itself when you're trying to keep a steady grip. Edited by SpondonBassed

I stopped applying coats after yesterday's, the sixth. I noticed that the older coats were softening with the solvent in the latest coat. It needs time to go off fully before introducing the solvent again so I've finished early. It looks like four would have been the optimum number of coats with 24 hours between each. I got to install the rest of the gubbins a day early. Cheap thrill.

I needed to mod my pups to allow the bridge cable to run out the side and through the neck pup to exit together with the neck cable cleanly into the drilling leading off to the control cavity. I did my C&G in Fitting and Turning way back before Joy Division had to reform as New Order. Nice and easy does it.
Ibby32Cropped.thumb.JPG.9a0a38f22f105437a0da61fbc270d0ef.JPG

With that done I am able to thread the cables to clear the pup screws with their springs. It's all going together and ready for the final soldering.
Ibby33Cropped.thumb.JPG.a3e363d30c28445531631c86d190e178.JPG

Soldering done. What a lovely mess. I put some sticky-back felt on the cavity lip just for fun. I raided it out of Valerie Singleton's drawers when Peter Purvis wasn't looking. Down Shep! Before anyone asks, no, I haven't got a Blue Peter badge. I've always been far too lazy to earn one.
Ibby34Cropped.thumb.JPG.8669e5464b14d93c54b925b905e72d47.JPG

Mmmm. I'm feeling it now. Must not get too exited. There is the neck assembly and snagging period yet.
Ibby35Cropped.thumb.JPG.66c622c5862cc8339742db2b953086d0.JPG

Edited by SpondonBassed

I put the bass together and strung it. No output. Now I have to troubleshoot. I was getting a headache and I couldn't remember where my multi-meter was so I quit for the day.

Still, there's a promising twang from it unplugged. It's got the strings supplied loose with the kit. I'll play it in on those but I am going to restring it with a set of half rounds that I won at Midlands BB4.
Ibby37Cropped.thumb.JPG.17edd52a90c0c928d1c2e30655a19e6d.JPG

I'll look for my multi-meter tomorrow.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Good luck finding the cause of your temporary loss of output.

Cheers rOB. I like your use of the word temporary. Just the optimistic approach I need, thanks. I have converted frustration into GAS and will fork out for a new multi-meter later today.

I set it up for intonation, neck-relief, nut and saddle height last thing yesterday. Well, I went to bed this morning if I'm honest. It was one of those days yesterday where every thing I did proved fruitless due to unforeseen snags. I'd been up from about five and it was just a series of failed attempts to do seemingly trivial day-to-day things from then on. I was exhausted at the end of it all and this morning I am feeling it.

It does sit nicely in my lap though. Years of playing paddle basses taught me to play standing up always. Mine have the pull-out leg for playing whilst sat but I don't use it. Without the weight hanging off the strap the bass wants to fall forward and there is no forearm engagement with its body to prevent it. I never felt comfortable with that. I am having to sit more these days so practice is an easier proposition for me now.

Although it wants to be played, the standard strings supplied with the kit are remarkably hard on my fingers. I am used to flats but I think these are serrated like junior hacksaw blades. They also seem a lot higher in tension. I was surprised as some folk here say they find flats need more tension than roundwounds generally. Roundwounds are so zizzy anyway. They're coming off pretty soon I can tell you.

I have used this kit as a muse to keep me from quitting bass altogether. I hadn't played for over a month! A recent disappointment had made me question why I was putting in the time practising at all and I just stopped. My juices are flowing once more with this bass and already I have put in a bit of silent practice with it. Maybe I'll come into fashion next week and get hooked up with some playmates. Edited by SpondonBassed

Have you actually tested the pickups worked on their own yet, just as a sanity check before you put all the work into the wiring?
Easy enough to tack them on the jack to see

No need. I didn't even have to buzz the wires. It occurred to me that the hot wire to the plug might not belong on the "short pin" quoted in the wiring instructions so I swapped it. It's a passive bass so I am not sure why it was supplied with a stereo jack socket. Also, it is the barrel type where you can't tell which tag is which contact easily.

That fixed I had a noisy connection that seemed to be due to the plug going a bit further into the socket than it likes. I fixed that temporarily by using a washer as a spacer. I will upgrade that to a good quality purpose made socket soon.

It tuned well and after I played one song I had to change those ruddy awful strings because they had gone beyond just giving me the ache. The D'Addarios are nicer but for one dead string in the set. Strange because it was a factory sealed packet. I am not that fussy because they will all sound like that with use eventually and the dead one sounds fine despite not having the top-end twang. I ain't that sort of slapper so it makes no odds.

The odd thing was that the D'addario low B would not fit the bridge hole for the last inch where the windings are thickest. The seemingly heavier roundwounds were fine. Looking closely, it was just a couple of windings that were oversize. I opened out the low B bridge hole by about a quarter mil and it was fine.

This photo is essentially the same as the previous one except that it has new strings and it works. I will see if I can get a sound bite up somehow.
Ibby38Cropped.thumb.JPG.81394c7d5a65694f73670ebffe84b889.JPG Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

Always good when you get a problem solved! I was up in Spondon today on a Bass related mission, I have picked up a Yamaha RBX375 as a project from a Spondon guy called Luke ( he dropped it at my Mum's so not sure exactly where in Spondon he lives but thinks it's around Willowcroft area). Although after a good clean up it's less of a project than expected so just deciding whether to strip it all back or just do a touch up job.

Always good when you get a problem solved! I was up in Spondon today on a Bass related mission, I have picked up a Yamaha RBX375 as a project from a Spondon guy called Luke ( he dropped it at my Mum's so not sure exactly where in Spondon he lives but thinks it's around Willowcroft area). Although after a good clean up it's less of a project than expected so just deciding whether to strip it all back or just do a touch up job.

Cool. It's a player then? Looking at search images it looks similar to mine in that it has four pots and two humbuckers. Edited by SpondonBassed

Yup, just a bit of cosmetic damage and a set up needed. Got a set of new strings on their way (£5 off here), the ad said on knob was missing so I ordered a set of eBay specials only to find it in the bottom of the very cheap gigbag. Never had a 5 string so it's a cheap way to dip my toe so to speak, will be useful for a few songs we are planning to learn in the coming months.

I'll wrap this topic up with some last photos. The bass is sounding good. I really like the tone from the neck pick-up on its own with full treble. Lovely and dry with those D'Addario semi-flats. With both pick-ups the sound is warm. The bridge pick-up gives a nicely defined sound and allows some diplomacy in the lower frequencies where the neck pick-up has a nice fat bottom end always.

Ibby39Cropped.thumb.JPG.1f1bde73897d1f9add36b58826c7871e.JPG
Thanks to whoever donated those strings to the raffle at Midlands' BB4, they're playing in nicely. There was a neatly trimmed plastic truss adjustment cover supplied and a Pit Bull decal that wouldn't fit between the machine heads. I wanted to put something of my own on it so it wasn't an issue. The plastic cover looks neat enough. There would be no problem using it with the black hardware.

Ibby40Cropped.thumb.JPG.5638401548271758e9c9bdf1de9932cf.JPG
I am very happy with the whole project. I chose to replace a lot of the screws with stainless steel ones for my own reasons, not because I had a particular problem with those supplied. The few that I used were fine. The pick-up springs supplied were twice as long as they needed to be. Fitted, they would not allow the screw to bite more than a thread and a half. I cut them in half and they worked well enough.

Ibby41Cropped.thumb.JPG.95e5252cb8e99d3fe2a02a22b1717f24.JPG
With the electronics, the instructions call for the hot wire to go to the short pin on the output socket. On the one supplied it was the mid-length pin. When wired correctly the socket was noisy if the plug was fully home. It would only cleanly connect with a washer acting as a spacer between plug and socket so I replaced it with a good one from Foulds of Derby. Ask for "Ferrit" if you're looking for electronics advice. He's a good 'un.

Ibby42Cropped.thumb.JPG.ab0767dcabe8157334df5b654e9e8cc7.JPG
I found that the roughly finished body was close enough to shape. There was no need to remove much more off it to end up with a pleasingly rounded shape. The neck was finished to size and was a neat and snug fit in the neck pocket from the start. All that was left was the finishing and assembly.

Ibby43Cropped.thumb.JPG.b2501a5969aaf8c48ba664f558e6d22e.JPG
I'd happily do it again. This one is a keeper though and it brings my collection to four in total so the next one has to have something special. I'm in no rush as I've got to claw back some practice time and do some house maintenance before Winter.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

Looking nice! And good to hear Foulds is still going! Is it still on Iron Gate?

Yes. They've got rid of the ad wall that used to go upstairs and there was nothing for a while due, it was claimed, to the 'net making it redundant. I think they must have had a backlash to that because it is back. Not as big as it was but there is space on the wall for informal band related advertising once more.

Edited by SpondonBassed