Why become a member? ×

DX7 Score

markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1499948797' post='3334737']
Nope.. Had been sitting in his loft since 1986.... :-) However it's missing the factory ROM cartridge, which means buggering around with sysex to reload the factory settings as the current ones are corrupted...
[/quote]

Congrats, man! Great score, great synthesis, and fantastic keybed too.
I loved mine to smithereens, and would've still had it if I hadn't needed to fund my TX802.

You're aware of the battery, yes? In case not, it's possibly buggered by now - which in case could explain the corrupted presets.
For ease of access as well as hassle free battery changing, I think it's a great idea to mount [b]two[/b] parallel battery holders on the built in holder's terminals, so you can use only those two instead of the built in one, and swap batteries by putting in a new battery in one holder before removing the old one from the other holder. I hope that was English.
Saves a lot of hassle at any rate.
BTW, my own 30 year old battery still works, so who knows.

Anyway, ENJOY!

Edited by BassTractor

I was going to suggest looking at the battery too as the source of the corrupted presets. Generally the instrument needs to be plugged in and powered up periodically in order to preserve the battery. If it has been sitting unused since 1986 I doubt whether the battery will have survived. Also IIRC the DX7 should come with 2 ROM cartridges each holding 64 sounds in 2 banks of 32.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1499958049' post='3334838']
I was going to suggest looking at the battery too as the source of the corrupted presets. Generally the instrument needs to be plugged in and powered up periodically in order to preserve the battery. If it has been sitting unused since 1986 I doubt whether the battery will have survived. Also IIRC the DX7 should come with 2 ROM cartridges each holding 64 sounds in 2 banks of 32.
[/quote]

Yup, should have had the factory cartridge at least, but didn't :D Which is fine for the money, but I'm going to have to reload the factory voices via sysex regardless....I'll change the battery as basic maintenance, and I'll probably do a recap on the power supply as well - kit is about £15- and a backlit display (another tenner)...

Edited by markstuk