Why become a member? ×

New Fender Signature Bass - Justin Meldal-Johnsen RW Mustang Bass

Musicman20

[url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/summer-namm-2017-fender-reveals-new-jimi-hendrix-george-harrison-and-justin-meldal-johnsen-signature-guitars-and-basses"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/summer-namm-2017-fender-reveals-new-jimi-hendrix-george-harrison-and-justin-meldal-johnsen-signature-guitars-and-basses[/url]

Love that finish. Much prefer the Flea signature Jazz but let's see what the final specs are.

UPDATE - specs from an eBay pre-order:

Fender JMJ (Justin Meldal-Johnsen) Mustand Bass

Known as a true renaissance man of the modern music scene, Justin Meldal-Johnsen s bass credits include Beck, Nine Inch Nails, Drake and more. His production credits include Jimmy Eat World, Paramour and M83, among others. JMJ is a shining example of today s breed of multi-genre musician/producers, ever pushing boundaries and inspiring others.

From studio to stage, Justin s treasured 67 Mustang Bass is his tool of choice. We teamed up with him to create a signature 4-string modeled after his vintage Daphne Blue instrument the Justin Meldal-Johnsen Road Worn Mustang Bass.Powered by a custom-spec split-coil pickup, the JMJ Road Worn Mustang bass is perfect for laying down punchy basslines with plenty of Fender mojo.

Specs

Alder Body

Road Worn Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish

Maple "C" Shape Neck

Rosewood, 9.5 (241 mm)

19, Medium Jumbo Frets

Aged Pearloid Dot Inlays

Standard Open-Gear Tuning Machines

Nickel/Chrome Hardware

30" Scale Length

4-Saddle Mustang Bass Strings-Through-Body Bridge

Pearloid Pickguard

Custom Seymour Duncan Split Single-Coil Mustang Bass

Deluxe Gig Bag

Edited by Musicman20

A few places seem to have removed their links (which are still live on Google), not live on Fender website, so looks like some dealers jumped early on the release....naughty ;)

$1799 dollars though, big money for a Mustang, looks nice though!

Si

I'll stick to my CIJ Mustang bass for now... love the colour though!

I thought they would have gone for a Jaguar bass with the P/J setup (but Troy Sanders has a Sig model) or maybe a J bass with the white Dimarzio's that he played in NIN, or even a long scale Mustang.

Edited by Byo

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1499972396' post='3334943']
I think price will be closer to £900 after reading around. The Hendrix strat will be £800.
[/quote]

Hopefully, the info I saw was from an early eBay listed, so probably wrong.
It was described as 'Road Worn' though, as opposed to a relic.....so might be MIM?!

Si

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1500021646' post='3335134']
I think it is a RW and MIM. That's no bad thing these days though.

[/quote]

It does make sense for this to be the case. I really like the look of it, but I'm not sure why I'd buy this over a £500 MIJ other than paying a £350 premium for the colour?!
If Lakland ever do a Decade Skyline as a 30" (not the hollow body), that would be really eat into that Mustang market.

Si

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1499977826' post='3334989']
I'll stick to my CIJ Mustang bass for now... love the colour though!

I thought they would have gone for a Jaguar bass with the P/J setup (but Troy Sanders has a Sig model) or maybe a J bass with the white Dimarzio's that he played in NIN, or even a long scale Mustang.
[/quote]

Don't think a long scale Mustang would work without some serious redesign of the body, it'd be Neck Dive City otherwise!

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1500043073' post='3335335']
Don't think a long scale Mustang would work without some serious redesign of the body, it'd be Neck Dive City otherwise!

Eude
[/quote]

Depends how heavy the body is?! :D :ph34r:

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1500026294' post='3335184']

I'm not sure why I'd buy this over a £500 MIJ other than paying a £350 premium for the colour?!
[/quote]
+1, I have a CIJ Mustang and it is a lovely bass