Why become a member? ×

Taylor AB-3 Acoustic Bass, for sale, Sue Ryder Shop, Suffolk

Hi Folks

Am currently up in Suffolk with Mrs Silverfoxnik for the Latitude Festival which starts tomorrow. Great line up so it should be a great few days...

So, yesterday, we went to have a look round the coastal town of Southwold (very nice, but pricey) and imagine my surprise when walking into the Sue Ryder charity shop here:

(https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sue+ryder+shop+southwold&oq=sue+ryder+southwold&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.14163j0j4&client=ms-android-huawei&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8)

Only to find one of these for sale:

https://reverb.com/uk/item/204780-taylor-ab3-acoustic-bass-maple-spruce

Wow - what a beautiful instrument! 😊

I've never seen one or played one before but it really was a work of art.

I had a quick look at it and had a very quick play of it too and, apart from being in immaculate condition, it had such a lovely tone! Very resonant and warm sounding and it played so beautifully too..

I had a word with the Shops Manager and she said that all proceeds from the sale of it were going to the shop/charity, so it's being sold for a good cause. I think they are selling it for around the £2k mark, which isn't cheap, but it's probably around the going rate for such a quality instrument.

Anyway, I doubt they'll sell it just through the usual footfall that passes through the shop, so I thought a little post here on the forum might help them.

Nik

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I hadn't seen this post before today, but I purchased this bass from Sue Ryder, so it remains in Suffolk. It is actually an AB-1, not an AB-3, so it has an imbuia back and sides, a mahogany neck and a satin spruce top. As opposed to the AB-3's maple back, sides and neck, and gloss spruce top. It is the nicest acoustic bass I've ever played, though Furch comes close. Its acoustic sound is excellent and reasonably loud, but it really comes into its own when it's amplified.

I'd been after one of these since seeing Flea play one in the "Road Trippin'" music video and Victor Wooten playing one with Béla Fleck back in the 90s, though they were well out of my price range back then. I wish Taylor/Klein had made a five string version, as it's the only bass I play without a low B (though I imagine the lower notes would be useless without amplification). But it really is a faultless instrument. If an AB-2 or AB-3 came up for sale, I don't think I could stop myself picking one of those up too.

Edited by LLOYDWT
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...