Why become a member? ×

Why Lower Stage Volumes Means Better Shows........

paulmcnamara

After nearly a decade of going to hardcore shows I can safely say that loud/boomy volumes bands where I can't differentiate the instruments/vocals are not enjoyable. I know that's part of the scene, to be loud but still, if all I get is air thrusted in my face as a paying fan I'm not impressed.

I have posted before on this subject, the last two bands I played with paid attention to volume and we were often complimented on our sound, punters and landlords liked it, meaning repeat bookings on the spot. Bar staff appreciate taking drink orders without lip reading and punters are fine if they go home without ringing ears

You really dont need to be ear burstingly loud but its a hard message to get across and dont get me started on rehearsing at 120dB. I have come close to quitting due to ridiculous volumes, I refuse to turn up over and over to be heard but the worst culprits dont even notice as they only listen to themselves.

+1 to having a good sound engineer who know's what he is doing - it is worth its weight in gold! We'd never perform without ours. Fortunately we are quite a disciplined (and knowledgeable) band and have mastered our levels wisely. After all, we all want our band to sound the very best it can - so we all work together in that respect. With correct monitoring there is no need for big rigs on stage - make the PA do the work.