Why become a member? ×

Killer Sound?

Phil Starr

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1499809322' post='3333829']
I know Callum, I'll tell him to give his sound person a pay rise.
[/quote]

I thought he was excellent. Great voice, some nice songs, loved the one about his dad. His band were just right too they all looked like they were enjoying themselves. The audience loved him but he can't have missed that. I suspect he's going a lot further. Wish him luck.

One of the best sounds I've heard in a good while was Blackberry Smoke at the Ritz in Manchester. I was standing near the desk, and I watched the sound engineer adjust a very few things during the first song, then pretty much stand there with his arms folded the rest of the gig. BS have gears, and they took the band sound up and down, from full-on rawk to verry simple and quiet, from the stage itself with guitar volume controls (yep, them :) ) and their hands.

Then I went to see Alter Bridge at the Arena, and it was literally painfully loud at the sides of the Arena, and exactly as above: stupendously overloud kick, and indistinct rumble instead of notes from the bass, and everything else was a buzzsaw. Horrific: we left about halfway through. Which was odd, as the support bands sounded better (quieter), although the inherent kick/bass problems were there, too...

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1499871288' post='3334213']
Saw Tom Jones a couple of weeks ago at Scarborough Open Air Theatre. Wasn't looking forward to the sound
at such a venue to be honest, but couldn't have been more wrong.
The whole gig was one of the best sounds I've ever heard. Loud and ballsy but never painful, and the drum and
bass sounds were absolutely spot on. No cabaret thing for Tom, it was a full on rock style gig. Great band
and flawless vocals too, all balanced and sounding great. Wish I had found the sound guys to let them know,as
I usually do when it's that good.
[/quote]

Tom Jones is a living legend and one of the only true soul men working today.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1499884158' post='3334334']
One of the best sounds I've heard in a good while was Blackberry Smoke at the Ritz in Manchester. I was standing near the desk, and I watched the sound engineer adjust a very few things during the first song, then pretty much stand there with his arms folded the rest of the gig. BS have gears, and they took the band sound up and down, from full-on rawk to verry simple and quiet, from the stage itself with guitar volume controls (yep, them :) ) and their hands.

Then I went to see Alter Bridge at the Arena, and it was literally painfully loud at the sides of the Arena, and exactly as above: stupendously overloud kick, and indistinct rumble instead of notes from the bass, and everything else was a buzzsaw. Horrific: we left about halfway through. Which was odd, as the support bands sounded better (quieter), although the inherent kick/bass problems were there, too...
[/quote]

Had exactly the same at an Airbourne gig a few years back. Me and a couple of mates had seen them before at the Astoria and they were excellent, so dragged a few people along on the next tour, can't remember, it was either Brixton or Hammersmith. Support were fine volume wise, then on come Airbourne and the sliders seemed to get shoved to 10, just a physically painful wall of noise. half the place seemed oblivious - no doubt some meatheaded "if it's too loud you're too old" response, and the rest of us were wincing and after a few songs the crowd was noticeably thinning out. never felt the need to go and see them again - it may not have been their fault, but it does fit with their image so we all assumed it was a deliberate thing.